As an “Upper Key,” Key Largo boasts the irresistible isolation of any great island, but because it’s so close to the mainland, it’s both an awesome and accommodating destination. Scuba divers, anglers, sun worshipers, and dolphin lovers can all find their own private piece of heaven, thanks to Key Largo beach rentals. For help planning Key Largo vacations, read on for our comprehensive Key Largo travel guide. Do you have tips for how we can improve it? Share them with us.
Even though your Key Largo rental is a one-of-a-kind attraction in itself, drag yourself away from it every day because there’s an adventure waiting for you outside.
Key Largo Activities
- Scuba diving – Take a leap into the ocean and explore everything from America’s only living coral reef to Moray eels to shipwrecks. Favorite underwater sights include the Navy ship Spiegel Grove, the Christ of the Abyss statue, the multi-faceted Molasses Reef, the Benwood Wreck from World War II, and the Elbow Reef, which offers up an enchanting variety of marine life and shipwrecks. For many, Key Largo diving at the John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park is the one and only reason they come to the Keys.
- Snorkeling – If you’re not ready to scuba dive, snorkeling is an entertaining and easygoing alternative. Avid snorkelers ought to check out the Marinelab Undersea Laboratory.
- Sport Fishing – From the Everglades to the Florida Bay, Key Largo offers up all kinds of waters and all kinds of fish. Serious and amateur anglers alike are all welcome to try their luck on the ocean.
- Jet skiing
Key Largo Attractions
- Everglades National Park – Since Key Largo is the first Florida Key, it’s very close to this famed ecosystem and makes for an excellent day trip.
- Blue Hole – Key Largo’s not just surrounded by the Gulf of Mexico’s salt water. This freshwater basin features a mesmerizing mélange of wildlife.
- Dolphin Cove – Dolphin encounters happen all the time in Key Largo, and this is one of the best places to experience yours! In addition to meeting a bottlenose dolphin, you can also go on a guided kayak tour of the Florida Bay, learn how to scuba dive, and visit crocodiles at nighttime.
- SunCruz Casino – It’s not all about nature in Key Largo. After the sun sets, don’t retire to your Key Largo vacation rental just yet. Instead, go sailing on this glitzy ship and play blackjack, chow down on free appetizers, and enjoy live entertainment.
- Island Massage Spa - Despite Key Largo’s appeal as a beachy hideaway, the city can be exhausting. After an afternoon of scuba diving, canoeing, parasailing, or baking in the sun, you need to unwind a bit. And that’s what this serene day spa is for.
Besides the shipwrecks and tropical fish under the sea and the picture-perfect sunsets, Key Largo has lots to see. Of particular note is the African Queen, a boat and former set of the eponymous Oscar winning film starring Katharine Hepburn. Feel free to hop on board and take a look!
Eating could easily be the highlight of your Key Largo vacation, thanks to these ultra-gratifying restaurants.
- Doc’s Diner – Start your day off with the huevos rancheros, tropical style waffles, or a short stack of pancakes.
- Rib Daddy’s Steak and Seafood – No one will leave here hungry, that’s for sure. Whether you’re craving lobster or steak, Rib Daddy’s has something on the menu for you.
- Alabama Jacks – For the best crab cakes and conch fritters in town, and possibly in all of Florida, bring your appetite here.
- Mrs. Mack’s Kitchen – The homemade food, which includes the “Famous Key Lime Freeze,” and the unconventional décor make this diner a Florida Keys standout.
- Fish House – If you’re seeking superior seafood, you can’t lose here.
- Ballyhoos Grill and Grog – Like the Fish House, this is another Key Largo mainstay for great seafood.
- Snook’s Bayside – Enjoy a first-class meal while overlooking the Gulf – scallops, shrimp, filet mignon, and mahi mahi never tasted so good! And that’s saying a lot.
- Harriette’s – Along with Doc’s, this is a great breakfast spot, especially if you’re longing for the homemade feasts your mom used to make every Saturday morning.
- Calypso’s Seafood Grille – Try the catch of the day at this casual waterfront patio.
- Sushi Nami – Sushi fanatics will love it here, but there are plenty of everyday seafood dishes to keep everyone happy.
- Gardner’s Market – Stock up your Key Largo beach home with fresh food from this renowned market, or just grab lunch at the deli.
- Snapper’s – Whether it’s a romantic oceanside dinner or a Sunday brunch, you’ll wish you could bring this charming restaurant home with you.
Key Largo shopping is almost as fun as eating.
- Expressions Swim ‘n Sunwear – Try on a new swimsuit.
- Key Lime Products – What would a trip to Key Largo be without a taste of Key lime pie, a Florida Keys specialty?
- Blue Marlin Jewelry – If you're feeling indulgent, treat yourself to some pearls or other fine jewelry.
- Shell World – Get your souvenir fix here.
Besides shopping and dining, there’s still more to do off the beach in Key Largo. Why not show off your new golden tan at a stylish nightclub? A cocktail goes great with a sunset!
- Caribbean Club – A good chunk of the film Key Largo, staring Lauren Becall and Humphrey Bogart, was filmed here.
Although you may experience a rain shower or two during your Key Largo vacation, most the time the weather will be sunny and beach-friendly. And that’s true for every month. It’s rare that it will ever be lower than 67 degrees or higher than 89 degrees here – talk about pleasant!
So, weather’s not much of an indicator of when to visit Key Largo. Consider coming during a festival, like nearby Key West’s Fantasyfest (October 23 to November 1), or the Key Largo Food and Wine Festival (July 31 to August).
While Key Largo fishing is a favorite passtime, the locals are proud of the diversity of fish in their neck of the ocean. So, that means there are many rules and regulations about what you can fish for and how you fish, so just make sure to do a little research before casting a line.
As well, while Key Largo enjoys lovely tropical weather year-round, hurricanes do happen and it’s important to be prepared for them. Take any and all weather advisories seriously.
Packing for Key Largo is like packing for any beach – bring sun block, swim wear, beachside accessories, and comfy shoes – but there are some extra items you may not think to pack. For instance, Key Largo’s dining and nightlife is definitely worthy of a few of your nicer outfits. Also, make sure to bring an underwater camera as Key Largo’s top sights to see are in the ocean! Keep in mind that many Key Largo beach vacation rentals already have a lot of the things you need, so you may be able to get away with packing light.
From scuba lessons to sightseeing tours, Key Largo is totally equipped for your visit. The Sea the Keys Party Van will escort you around town and show you a good time. Meanwhile, Reef Roamer Snorkel will take you sailing and snorkeling, so you can get to know Key Largo’s bluer side.
But these are just a handful of examples of all that Key Largo has in store for guests. You can get married, hold a conference, or enjoy a family vacation here. The Florida Keys beckons one and all, so hurry up and book your Key Largo vacation condo today!
You’ll fly into the Miami International Airport or the Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood International Airport (unless you’re driving here), and then rent a car or take a shuttle bus/taxi to your Key Largo house rental. In an hour or so, you’ll be in the Keys!
Why stay in a drab, confined hotel room, when you can stay in a polished, spacious Key Largo beach house rental? For the same price, and sometimes less, of a hotel room, you can get all the square footage and amenities of a Key Largo vacation rental home. Whether you’re honeymooning or spending time with the kids, we’ve got a luxurious but cheap Key Largo beach rental for you!
From Key Largo diving to Key Largo fishing, there are so many reasons to come to the keys. So book your beach rental today.
You might also like...