April 10- 12, 2015
This guide is for the 2014 event but until programming is announced for the 2015 event, this will give you a good idea on what to expect!
Prepare yourself because the MegaCon Orlando has almost arrived! Fans of the sci-fi, fantasy and superhero genres will soon descend upon the Orange County Convention Center clad in their favorite cosplay attire in an annual celebration of every aspect of pop culture. The convention is set to kick off on Friday, March 21, at 1 p.m. and run through the weekend, ending on Sunday, March 23, at 5 p.m. The Orange County Convention Center is conveniently located right off the interchange of Interstate 4 and Florida's 528 Tollway in southwest Orlando. Tickets are still available to all who wish to attend, and you can bet that fans will turn out in massive numbers to show their support of actors, artists and legends of the industry.
- Map View
- What to Expect
- Top Panels
- Where to Buy Tickets
- Costume & Weapon Rules
- Getting Around
- Things to Do Besides Comic Con
- Where to Stay
View Megacon Orlando 2014 Event Guide in a larger map
What to Expect
This year's installment of MegaCon features a wide variety of celebrity guests, awesome activities, sneak previews, gaming opportunities and so much more. Fans of the popular HBO television series "Game of Thrones" will get a chance to meet Karl, a steward of the Night's Watch, who initiates the turmoil at Craster's keep that eventually leads to the death of Lord Commander Mormont (the Old Bear) and the wildling lord Craster. Get an insider's perspective on what may be to come in the new season of "Game of Thrones," or ask the actor about some of his other performances in films such as "Pacific Rim" and "The Dark Knight Rises."
Hollywood heartthrob Eliza Dushku will also be in attendance at this year's convention, and will be posing for photo ops and signing autographs of adoring fans on Saturday and Sunday. The young actress has appeared in the popular television series "Buffy the Vampire Slayer," as well as the subsequent offshoot "Angel." Star Wars fans young an old will be delighted to know that two very special guests from a galaxy far, far away will be making an appearance at MegaCon.
The original Chewbacca, Peter Mayhew and everyone's favorite Rancor, Roxy, will both be hanging around bellowing their native cries for all to enjoy. Aside from the celebrity guests, a wide selection of games, films, artwork and other great events and attractions are scheduled for the convention, and are sure to provide fans with an exceedingly enjoyable experience that will be remembered for years to come.
All of the details for 2014 are not yet available, but here's an idea of what you'll do and who you'll see...
With so much to do and see at this year's installment of MegaCon Orlando, its hard to decide where to begin. Fans of Japanese anime should make a point to check out some of the genre's new features, sneak peaks, and classic movies and series during the annual film festival that will be taking place every day during the event. From Akira to Dragon Ball Z and everything in between, you can bet on some superb showings going down during the event.
Art lovers should stop in to see some of the work presented by the creative folk down at Artists Alley. Scott Quick, Monica Ravenwood, Barrett Biggers and countless others will be showing their work, and fans will be able to purchase original prints, paintings, sketches and other fine artwork inspired by the icons and environments of fantasy and sci-fi classics.
If you're looking to take a break from the action, stop by the gaming arena where you'll find a wide selection of table, board, video and card games available to MegaCon patrons. Test your skills, poise and cunning against other fans and cosplayers, and enjoy the trials and tribulations of games from every genre. In the main showroom, discuss industry news and upcoming features with some of the event's numerous exhibitors, or simply browse through the booths and take in all the marvelous cosplay outfits donned by fellow enthusiasts. Regardless of what you choose to do and see at this year's MegaCon, you can be sure that a good time is never hard to find.
Where to Buy Tickets
Visitors hoping to purchase tickets to MegaCon Orlando can choose to either buy their tickets in advance on the event's website or onsite at the door. Keep in mind that tickets purchased in advance will be slightly cheaper than those available at the door. Tickets will be exchanged for wristbands at the event, which are required for entry into most areas of the convention. Children age 10 and younger will be granted free admittance when accompanied by an adult ticket holder. Most children will be required to wear a wristband with the exception of infants and toddlers. Groups larger than 25 people may receive a discounted rate. For more information regarding group ticket sales please contact event staff by email at email@example.com or call 386-364-1826. Ticket prices are as follows:
- Three-day wristbands are available for $60
- Single-day wristbands are available for $25
- VIP Ticket Packages are available for $160
- Photo Op and Autograph tickets will be available at the event and will vary in price depending on celebrities
Costume and Weapon Rules
All attendees are invited to dress up as their favorite characters from fantasy, sci-fi and superhero genres. However, MegaCon is a family-friendly event, and individuals are asked to please abide by the following rules and regulations, to ensure that all patrons remain safe and are not offended by your attire and props:
- Authentic weaponry, including swords, firearms, battle axes and the like will not be permitted inside the event.
- All weapons must be carried in a bag when entering the event.
- Weapons and props are only allowed on the Main Floor area and rooms designated for the costume contest. In all other areas patrons are asked to conceal their weapon in the bag that was used to carry the item into the convention center.
- Play acting and fighting will not be allowed anywhere besides designated costume contest areas.
- Weapons that fire projectiles must be rendered inoperable to be allowed inside the convention center.
- MegaCon will be attended by fans of all ages, and event staff maintain that cosplay outfits should not be lewd, scandalous, revealing or offensive in any way.
- Attendees who do not abide by these standards may be asked to cover up, or leave the event all together.
- Please use your best judgment when selecting your attire, and show all other cosplayers the respect and courtesy they deserve. Harassment of any other attendee may result in you being asked to leave the convention without refund.
Megacon will happen at the Orange County Convention Center. Because Orlando is such a tourist-centric town, you'll have no trouble getting to and from your Orlando vacation rental, the convention center, and the area attractions, shops and restaurants. That doesn't mean you should come unrepapared! If you're weaving a Comic Con experience into a Disney vacation, you can take advantage of the Disney shuttles for parts of your trip. For getting around during Comic Con, you have many options beyond a rental car and your own two feet, like the i-Ride Trolley and the LYNX bus system. Booking an accommodation near Comic Con or the attractions you plan to spend the most time at will certainly help, however!
Travelers who are hoping to experience more of Orlando than what you’ll find at the Orange County Convention Center will find a massive array of options located in and around the city. Although you may have to travel to the otherside of the highway 439 to uncover it all.
- If you brought the kids along for MegaCon weekend, then there is no better stop than Orlando’s world-famous theme park - Disney World. Young kids will love all the colorful characters and exciting rides found throughout the Magic Kingdom, while older adolescents will surely enjoy the wet and wild Blizzard Beach water park.
- If your MegaCon trip is an adult-only affair, enjoy a beverage and some after-hours fun at the Beacham nightclub, located on Orange Avenue downtown. This expansive club is a local hotspot, and gives guests the opportunity to enjoy a night of dancing and frivolity until the early hours of the morning.
- The nearby Shingle Creek Golf Club provides a great break from the indoor geeks at Comic Con if you like to play golf. It's one of many great courses in the area! Pirate's Cove Adventure Golf is also nearby, but of course caters to families and kids instead. Both are top attractions in Orlando.
- SeaWorld and its water park (Acquatica) are just a stone's throw from Comic Con activities, so if you've got little kids to keep entertained, this is a better and more affordable bet than Disney.
As one of the most popular conventions in Florida, MegaCon welcomes guests from all over the region. Individuals hoping to stay close to the action should be sure to look into accommodations available through Orlando or Williamsburg vacation rentals. A variety of options can be found on the company's website that are sure to meet the needs of groups large and small. Whether you're hoping to score a luxurious four-bedroom house with a pool or a quaint little condo for two, Vacation Rentals.com has you covered.