Minneapolis Comic Con
May 1- 3, 2015
This guide is for the 2014 event, but until the program is announced for 2015, this will give you a good idea of what to expect!
This year's installment of the Minneapolis Comic Con is jam-packed with a whole host of celebrity guests, awesome activities and a variety of special events. The convention will be taking place at the expansive Minneapolis Convention Center, located at 1301 2nd Avenue South in the heart of the city's downtown district. The event will begin on Friday, May 2, 2014, at 3 p.m. and run through the weekend ending on Sunday, May 4 at 5 p.m. Be sure to grab tickets early to catch all the fun at this celebration of fantasy, science fiction and pop culture. Also make sure to grab a cozy and spacious vacation home for your stay!
- Map View
- What to Expect
- Top Panels
- Where to Buy Tickets
- Costume & Weapon Rules
- Getting Around
- Things to Do Besides Comic Con
- Where to Stay
View Minneapolis Comic Con Event Guide in a larger map
Map Created by Laura Hoot
Visitors planning to attend the Minneapolis Comic Con will be pleased to find a full schedule of events, numerous Hollywood stars and a wide selection of colorful and intriguing cosplay outfits.
Some of the celebs that are scheduled to be attending are William Shatner, who is best known for his portrayal of Captain James Tiberius Kirk in the original Star Trek films and television series, Sean Astin, who braved the perils of Mordor to accompany Frodo into the depths of Mount Doom, and Ralph Macchio who practiced the teaching of Mr. Miyagi to defeat the villainous rebels of the Cobra Kai dojo. Apart from the stars of the event, fans can be sure to find a wide selection of brilliantly inspired artwork, sneak-peeks of future blockbuster hits, a vibrant costume contest and so much more.
No word yet on specific panels or events, but here's a taste:
With so much to do and see at this year's Comic Con, it's hard to say where fans should begin! Those interested in the full VIP treatment should be sure to look into the different packages and deals available at the event. Discussion panels, photo ops and autograph opportunities will be much easier to attend with a 2014 VIP badge. The artisans along artists alley will be selling prints and original works inspired by the fantasy and science fiction characters, places and environments we've all come to know and love, and visitors will get a chance to enjoy some of the great contests and presentations taking place during every moment of the convention. Best of all, fans will get to admire each other's handiwork as thousands descend on the Minneapolis Convention Center donning their best cosplay attire, which can only be described as eccentric, vibrant and extremely inventive.
Where to Buy Tickets
Those hoping to attend this year's Minneapolis Comic Con can purchase tickets online or at the door of the event. If you are planning on getting tickets at the door, they will be $10 more than the online asking price. Parents planning on bringing their kids to the event should be pleased to know that children under 10 will receive free entry when accompanied by a paying adult. Parents are only allowed to bring in two children free of charge per single ticket.
- Four-day weekend passes will be available for $90
- Single-day Thurday tickets cost $40
- Single-day Friday and Sunday tickets cost $50
- Single-day Saturday tickets will be available for $60
- VIP four-day weekend passes will cost $250
- VIP Experience tickets are between $75 and $299 depending on celebrities
- Photo Op ticket prices range from $15 to $75 depending on celebrities
Costume and Weapon Rules
Comic Con staff members would like to ensure that all patrons remain safe during the three-day event, and ask attendees to refrain from bringing any live firearms into the facility. Those who fail to adhere to the event rules and regulations will not be allowed to enter the convention center. The list of rules are as follows:
- All weapons must be inspected by security teams stationed at the entrances of the event.
- All weapons will receive a tag from security personnel prior to entry.
- Actual firearms of any sort will not be allowed into the facility under any circumstances.
- Simulated weapons for cosplay purposes will be allowed as long as they do not fire any sort of projectile.
- Weapons with a blade must be fastened within their sheath, and cannot be removed during the event.
- If you are found to have an untagged weapon inside the event, you will be escorted to a security checkpoint for inspection and proper tagging.
- If your weapon does not meet the criteria listed above you will not be allowed to enter the convention center.
- If you are unsure whether your weapon meets the specifications on this list, please leave it at home to ensure easy entry into the event.
While the Minneapolis Comic Con is indeed a celebration of all things fantasy, science fiction and pop culture, event staff urge attendees to avoid lewd or scandalous attire that may be inappropriate for children. Costumes are encouraged, but please use your best judgment because Comic Con is a family-friendly event.
- Patron's cosplay outfits must abide by federal and state indecent exposure laws and regulations.
- The event will be attended by individuals from all age groups, so attire must be non-offensive.
- If you harass any other Comic Con attendee, you will be asked to leave the event.
- All costumes and props must not fire, shoot, spray or ignite, or you will not be granted entry into the event.
The Minneapolis Convention Center is located right in the center of the city and is easily accessible using almost every form of transportation. The facility is just minutes away from I-94/US-52 and only a few short blocks from the closest Metro Blue Line station. It is also quite close to a number of vacation rental accommodations scattered throughout the area.
From the Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport get on MN-55 heading west. Continue onto MN-62 west until you reach I-35 north. Heading north on I-35 get off at exit 16A W on the left hand side and merge onto I-94 west toward downtown. Exit at the 11th Street ramp then turn left on LaSalle Avenue. Make another left onto west Grant Street, then continue onto south 2nd Avenue. The destination will be on your right. Guests can find parking around the convention center, but should defer to local authorities who will likely be directing traffic outside the facility.
Individuals interested in taking public transportation to the convention should use the Metro Blue Line, and exit at the Government Plaza station and platform. head southwest on 3rd Avenue for seven blocks and the destination will be right in front of you, across the street.
Visitors who are hoping to enjoy some of the city’s local attractions outside the convention center will be happy to find no shortage of exciting options.
- If you consider yourself to be a shopaholic, make a point to stop by the Mall of America. As the largest shopping mall in the entire country, the Mall of America has retail stores and shops of every variety that feature the latest styles, home goods, video games and so much more. It even has an indoor roller coaster!
- Budget-conscious travellers hoping to find a free attraction in Minneapolis will enjoy the natural splendor of Minnehaha Park. This local park provides guests with the opportunity to take a scenic walk through tranquil sanctuaries, and enjoy the many waterfalls, wooded groves and indigenous wildlife that call the area home.
- For fans of theatre, Minneapolis is heaping with options. The Guthrie Teather is quite acclaimed and is not too far form Comic Con headquarters. Find out what's planing during your stay!
Comic Con attendees who are hoping to stay close to all the action at this year’s convention should look into all the great deals on Vacation Rentals accommodations located throughout the city. Whether you’re traveling with a large party of cosplayers or a smaller family, Vacation Rentals.com is sure to provide the best options available in Minneapolis.
Small groups should look into this downtown condominium, which is just minutes away from the Minneapolis Convention Center. This option includes beautiful hardwood flooring, an updated kitchen packed with brand-new stainless steel appliances and easy access to local coffee shops, grocery stores and top-rated restaurants. Spend your Comic Con weekend in style. Book your accommodations today to ensure you get the best deal in the city!