Salt Lake Comic Con
April 17- 19, 2014
Salt Lake City, UT
The Salt Lake Comic Con is set to kick off soon, and a wide array of fans and cosplayers are readying themselves for what is sure to be another incredible event. Special guests from some of the biggest blockbuster hits and most popular television series will be making appearances throughout the convention, and attendees will have the opportunity to get autographs, take fan photos with star performers, participate in a huge selection of contests and games, enjoy the work of talented artists and so much more. The event will be held at the Salt Palace Convention Center, located on the north side of Salt Lake City at 100 southwest Temple Street. The action is scheduled to begin on Thursday, April 17, and run until Saturday, April 19. Advanced tickets are still available but are going fast, so be sure to grab yours soon or risk missing out on all the fun and excitement at this year's Salt Lake Comic Con.
- Map View
- What to Expect
- Top Panels
- Where to Buy Tickets
- Costume & Weapon Rules
- Getting Around
- Things to Do Besides Comic Con
- Where to Stay
View Salt Lake Comic Con 2014 Event Guide in a larger map
What to Expect
The Salt Lake Comic Con is a combination of two events: the GEEX Gaming and Electronics Expo and the Salt Lake Comic Convention. This past year was the first time these two events came together, and a record number of fans - 72,000 in total - came to show their support for everything fantasy, sci-fi and pop culture related. This year, convention staff are projecting an even greater turn out, making this convention one of the most popular in the country. So many fans turn up to attend this excellent event because it combines all the action of your standard comic book convention with the thrills and excitement of a gaming exposition.
That means fans will enjoy artwork, gaming, film and television sneak previews, anime viewing opportunities, engaging panel sessions, fun contests and more. Best of all, you can dress up like your favorite characters and embody the living form of a Jedi, a Starfleet commander, your favorite superhero or villain, or any other persona from the world of fantasy, sci-fi and other pop culture genres. Come show your support and get down on all the action at the Salt Lake Comic Con.
The Salt Lake Comic Con has a great selection of intriguing panel sessions lined up for this year's event that tackle everything from game development to script-writing.
- Listen in as Jessica Day George, Rhiannon Paille and Mette Ivie Harrison unveil their favorite books at the "What should I be reading?" panel session.
- Gamers hoping to break into the industry of videogame development should be sure to sit in on the "God Fathers of Gaming" panel, where industry titans Tracy Hickman, Jake Rogers, Robert J Defendi, Ed Fries and Tommy Tallarico outline the growth of the gaming industry and some of their own unique developments.
- Stop by the "Comic Book Smackdown" panel where special guests will talk about the things that make comic books and graphic novels so much fun to read.
The opportunities to listen in on awesome panel sessions are endless at this year's convention, just try not to have too much fun. With so much to do and see at this year's installment of the Salt Lake Comic Con, it's difficult to say where fans should begin! A number of celebrity guests, who have portrayed some of the most iconic characters in popular films and television shows, are set to attend the event. Fans of the AMC original series "The Walking Dead" will be pleased to know that quite a few cast members will be making appearances throughout the convention. Norman Reedus, Chandler Riggs, Laurie Holden and Jon Bernthal, who play Daryl Dixon, Carl Grimes, Andrea and Shane Walsh respectively, will be available for photo ops and autographs and to answer any of your burning questions about what may be in store during the upcoming season and beyond.
Trekkers will have the opportunity to see some of the most celebrated characters from the "Star Trek: The Next Generation" series, and test their knowledge of the voyages of the starship Enterprise and its crew. Brent Spiner (android Commander Data), Michael Dorn (the Klingon Worf) and Jonathan Frakes (Commander William T. Riker) are just a few of the "Next Generation" cast that will be at this year's convention. Grab a photo with these titans of Starfleet or see what may be in store for each actor in their future endeavors.
Aside from all the great guests, fans will have the opportunity to engage in a wide variety of gaming opportunities ranging from video to board to card games. Whether you're hoping to beta test the latest EA creation or enjoy a leisurely game of "Magic: The Gathering" with fellow fans, the Salt Lake Comic Con has you covered. Convention attendees who're tired of looking for love in Alderaan places should make a point to stop by the sci-fi speed dating session, where fans of the industry can get to know each other and see if the sparks fly and the circuits connect. If you're hoping to catch some sweet anime action at the convention, get your fix at one of the many viewing sessions that will be taking place throughout the event. Take your love of pop culture to the next level with these and other great events happening only at the Salt Lake Comic Con!
Where to Buy Tickets
Tickets are already on sale for this epic event, but they are going fast so be sure to grab yours soon! Advanced tickets can be purchased on the Salt Lake Comic Con website or you can wait until the day of the event and purchase entry passes at the door. Children age 10 and younger are granted free entry to the event when accompanied by a paying adult, and kids ages 11 to 16 are granted a reduced rate. The pricing is as follows:
- Three-day adult ticket available for $60
- Three-day kids ticket (age 11-16) available for $40
- Single-day Thursday adult ticket available for $25
- Single-day Thursday kids ticket (age 11-16) available for $10
- Single-day Friday adult ticket available for $35
- Single-day Friday kids ticket (age 11-16) available for $15
- Single-day Saturday adult ticket available for $40
- Single-day Saturday kids ticket (age 11-16) available for $20
- VIP tickets available for $175
VIP tickets grant patrons early entry into the event, plus access to express lines for photo ops, panel sessions, autograph signings and film showings. If you're hoping to experience everything the Salt Lake Comic Con has to offer, VIP tickets will give you the best chances.
Costume and Weapon Rules
The Salt Lake Comic Con is a family-friendly event, and event staff would like to ensure that all attendees remain safe and enjoy themselves during the entirety of the convention. Therefore, guests are asked to abide by a few rules that will govern the allowance of cosplay attire and props during the event.
- Keep your costume PG. Guests are asked not to wear attire that may be construed as lewd, vulgar, scandalous, revealing, derogatory or offensive. Bikini costumes (ei. Princess Leia, Mystique, etc.) are allowed.
- All costumes and props will be subject to inspection prior to entering the convention center.
- Props and weapons must be tagged before entering the event.
- All costumes and props must abide by state and federal laws.
- Bladed weaponry such as swords and axes must be securely fastened to your costume and may not be drawn during the event.
- Metal weapons are not permitted, and no actual firearms are allowed into the convention.
The official Salt Lake Comic Con event website has great tips on parking and getting around. Although parking is not free, it's pretty easy to find a spot near the convention center and pay for it.
If you're on foot and need a little help, consider the commuter rail and other options.
Comic Con attendees who are hoping to explore some of Salt Lake City’s other attractions outside of Comic Con will be pleased to find a wealth of options and opportunities located in and around the city.
- Star Wars and Star Trek enthusiasts can explore the vast reaches of space at the Clark Planetarium. This state-of-the-art facility allows patrons to engage in a sensory experience unlike any other, and view light shows, constellation maps and IMAX films documenting man’s fascination with the final frontier.
- Art lovers hoping to enjoy some of the city’s finest works should plan a visit to the Utah Museum of Fine Art. This impressive establishment houses a vast collection of work ranging from Pre-Columbian art to contemporary paintings carefully crafted by modern masters.
- If you have a passion for nature, then the Antelope Island State Park is where you’ll want to spend your down time. This expansive 28,000-acre park rests just outside of town in nearby Syracuse, and features a wide selection of hiking trails, breathtaking vistas and an array of indigenous wildlife.
- Instead of checking out a history museum featuring the history of people you've never met before, get started on your own ancestry story at the Family History Library, right by the Convention Center. There is no other place on earth with more genealogical records and documents on hand!
Visitors hoping to stay close to the convention center should consider taking advantage of all the deals on accommodations found through the Vacation Rentals website. Regardless of your party size, Vacation Rentals provides the best deals in the city on a variety of accommodation options ranging from quaint little condos to expansive houses.
A prime option for Comic Con goers would be this vintage downtown house, located just a few blocks east of the convention center. This incredible rental option features easy access to public transportation and all the downtown attractions, and even includes a hot tub that visitors can use for a relaxing post-Comic Con soak. Book your accommodations today for the best deals in Salt Lake City!