Shattering the seedy image of the Jersey Shore TV show, Cape May is a land of Victorian mansions, spectacular sea views, and good family fun. Spared from the ravages of Hurricane Sandy, Cape May is an ideal alterative for vacationers who lost their favorite spots to the storm and here you can find Cape May vacation deals. It's nestled where the Delaware Bay pours into the Atlantic, and is the nation's oldest seashore resort.
View Cape May on the Cheap in a larger map
There are many affordable day trips in the Cape May area.
See the Sights
- Golden State Parkway — One of the cheapest ways to enjoy the area is a drive along the Garden State Parkway. Once you reach the shore section, you'll travel along the banks of the Raritan River and then on to the coastline of the Atlantic.
- Cape May Lighthouse, 215 Light House Avenue, Cape May — This is a restored 1859 construction, is a wonderful day trip featuring breathtaking views of the ocean. You can see a real WW II bunker and visit the museum. In the evenings, you can enjoy the trolley ride.
- Elmin Physick Estate, 1048 Washington St., Cape May — For a meager $7, you can tour this 18-room Victorian mansion-turned-museum.
- Nature Center of Cape May, 1600 Delaware Avenue, Cape May — Here you can visit the center to learn more about the local wildlife and what's being done to preserve it.
- Naval Air Station Wildwood Aviation Museum, historic Hanger #1 of the Cape May Airport at 500 Forrestal Road, Cape May — This was a dive bombing training facility during World War II. It now houses a 92,000 square-foot museum, displaying 26 aircraft and other exhibits. Visitors can climb into the cockpits, go into a real control tower, and pretend to fly in the flight simulator. Admission is $10.
- Cold Spring Village, 720 Rt. 9 South, Cape May — For $10, experience a little 1800s in this refreshing outdoor history museum, packed with historic buildings and "actors." Watch a blacksmith at work, and make sure to check out the Ice Cream Parlor.
- Cape May Model Trains, 525 Elmira St, Cape May —This is a new attraction in Cape May, and it's especially kid-friendly: a model train museum! Best of all, it costs just $5 to enjoy.
Eating well in Cape May doesn't have to ruin your budget with these affordable and tasty choices:
- Zoe's, 715 Beach Ave, Cape May — For breakfast, try Zoe's, a casual eatery that makes all their food from scratch, using the freshest ingredients. This casual, dog-friendly restaurant offers hearty portions for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, including pancakes, waffles, roast beef, roast turkey, and much more.
- Depot Market Cafe, 409 Elmira Street, Cape May — If you're looking for a light yet satisfying lunch, try Depot Market Cafe. It's a traditional cafe, serving deli foods, sandwiches, coffees and teas. A delectable bakery is onsite.
- Key West Tacos, 479 West Perry Street, Cape May — Take a trip to the tropics during your Cape May stay with dinner at Key West Tacos. The chef and owner has traveled the globe, learning to prepare dishes from the Caribbean, Mexico and Hawaii. Island music entertains you as you try the tropical delights.
- Pier House Restaurant, 1317 Beach Ave, Cape May — Very affordable spot for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and even drinks! The ocean views are free.
You can save even more money in your budget by preparing your own meals in the fully-equipped kitchen of your Cape may vacation rental.
Cape May vacation deals on lodging include affordable, roomy, and comfortable vacation rentals. The living spaces let everyone relax between adventures with multiple bedrooms so there's plenty of space. Best of all, a week in a vacation rental is more affordable than a week's stay in most hotels. Each rental features its own unique amenities.
To get the best Cape May vacation deals, consider the following tips:
- Visit during the off-season (spring, winter, or fall). Rates are lower then, and there are fewer crowds to contend with.
- Also, spend most your time enjoying the scenery: the beach, driving along the historic avenues and all the natural sights. This is much cheaper than hitting all the tourist hotspots!