Got a bad case of Cabin Fever? Not sure if you can afford the cure? Consider Galveston. With affordable attractions and accommodations, along with last minute Galveston vacation deals, you'll make a lot of great memories for a small price. While on your vacation, use these money-saving tips.
View Galveston Vacation Deals in a larger map
Galveston on a budget is easy to do. Here are some reasons why:
- Strand Historic District, Downtown Galveston — Take in the ocean views along with views of beautiful, historic architecture... for free!
- 1892 Bishop's Palace, 1402 Broadway St, Galveston — Walter Gresham was a well-known Texan, as he fought in the Civil War, founded some railroads, and even served in the state legislature. His 19th century victorian home is a marvel and you can see it for yourself for $10.
- Moody Mansion, 2618 Broadway St, Galveston — The Moody family was one of the wealthiest in Texas, and was invested in everything from the cotton to banking to hotels. So, it's no wonder its 28,000-sq-ft home makes for quite the visit. Tours are $8.
- Galveston Island Railroad Museum, 123 25th St, Galveston — If you've got little ones, this attraction is a "Must." Fortunately, it's extremely affordable: tour the museum for $7 and ride the train for $4.
- Texas Seaport Museum, 2200 Harborside Dr, Galveston — Pretend like you're a sailer on the decks of the historic, 99-foot 1877 Tall Ship Elissa, featuring 19 sails!
- Lone Star Flight Museum, 2002 Terminal Dr, Galveston — Venture into this towering aircraft hanger and check out all kinds of planes and jets up close, and for just $8.
- Ocean Star Offshore Drilling Rig and Museum, Pier 19, Galveston — This drilling rig is no longer in operation, but for good reason. It's now a public museum, and a cheap one, too. Admission is $8.
- East Beach, 2024 Seawall Blvd, Galveston — East Beach is the biggest beach in Texas and is famous for its shoreside parties (drinking is legal here). Fishing and birding are also popular things to do here. Car parking is $8.
- 61st Street Fishing Pier, 6101 Seawall Blvd, Galveston — For $10, you can try to get lucky at this fishing pier, where kids are welcome and plenty of drink and snack vendors are nearby.
Enjoy the local cuisine on a budget by checking out these top affordable restaurants.
- Pho 20, 2101 Broadway St, Galveston — If you love vietnamese food and you love saving money, then you'll fall head over heels for this top-rated spot.
- La King's Confectionery, 2323 Strand, Galveston — Enjoy homemade chocolate, salt water taffy and other delicious treats in a 1920s themed ice cream parlour.
- ShyKatz Deli, 1528 Avenue L, Galveston — A local favorite for breakfast and lunch.
- Little Daddy's Gumbo Bar, 2105 Post Office St, Galveston — Try the straightforward gumbo or go for the Gumbo Burger! If you're not a fan of gumbo, though, don't worry. Oysters, po-boys, beer, and more are also on tap.
- Salsa's, 4604 Seawall Blvd, Galveston — The classic Mexican food (fajitas, fish tacos, etc) can't be missed, and neither can the margaritas.
- Cafe Michael Burger, 11150 FM Street 3005, Galveston — Not a lot more than cheap burgers and fries, but sometimes that's all you need!
- Queen's Bar-B-Que, 3428 Avenue S, Galveston — No visit to Texas is complete without some award-winning barbecue, is it?
Another tip? Cook your own meals to help save some cash. Most vacation rentals have a full kitchen, which means making a homemade meal is cheap and easy. Plus, it's a great group activity.
One area that people tend to spend more than they should is lodging. Instead of sticking with the traditional over-priced hotel room, choose a spacious and affordable Galveston vacation rental home. With plenty of space and comfortable amenities, including a full kitchen, you can experience luxury at an affordable price - with the whole family.
Along with Galveston vacation deals, you'll find several other easy ways to save money.
- Galveston makes for a great vacation any time of year, largely thanks to Texas' mild weather (with the exception of its brutally hot summers). Visit during the off season - non holidays in winter or fall - and you might score cheaper off season Galveston vacation deals.
- Pack along bottled water and snacks when you're out and about so you're not out of pocket.
- Stay near your favorite beach or attractions and you won't have to pay much - if anything at all - to fill up a gas tank.
- Sacrifice that ocean view for a beach house a short drive from the beach and you'll enjoy cheaper rental rates.