One bedroom plus Mezzanine with 1 full bathroom that sleeps 3 people.
2nd floor apartment in Victorian building on West 74th Street, off Columbus Avenue; around the corner from Fairway, Citarella, The Ansonia, The Dakota, Central Park with Strawberry Fields and Bethesda Fountain!
Walking distance to Museums such as the Met and Museum of Natural History which is just 4 blocks away.
We like this neighborhood because it is convenient and safe but still charming.
Down the block is Levain bakery, voted best NY restuarant. You have to get a chocolate chip cookie!!!!
About the Owner
Guestbook comments from the owner
Visited relatives in New York and found the location of the apartment suited our requirements being 5 minutes walk to the Metro or Central Park, and around 10 minutes to the Lincoln Centre. The apartment itself was comfortable and the facilities as advertised.However, we did feel that the rental charge was higher compared to other apartments we had considered, but we would recommend it to anyone who needs to be in that area of NY. The close proximity of a Levain's bakery just down the street would be a good excuse to return.
4.8 based on 13 traveler reviews
Perfect UWS apartment!
Terrific NYC apartment
Fabulous rental and location
It was great! Thank you guys!!!
Beautiful apartment, but cold and noisy
1) Charming decor. You definitely feel like you're staying in the home of a friend.
2) Location. It's easy to access the subway (and Levain Bakery as well).
1) My biggest complaint is that even though the VRBO listing says this apartment has a fireplace, it is NOT a working fireplace. It's faux. My wife specifically restricted her VRBO search to apartments in New York that had a fireplace, and we chose this apartment based on that fact. Imagine our disappointment when we learned otherwise, especially with outside temperatures in the teens and twenties. I strongly feel the owners should not list "fireplace" as one of the General amenities. If I had known the fireplace was faux, we would never have stayed here.
2) On top of not having a fireplace, the heater didn't seem to be working. We were told by one of our tour guides that the heating is regulated by the city in some cases, but my wife and I were so cold that we both came down with colds. On the second night, we had to find a Best Buy in New York and purchase a space heater because the one provided just wasn't putting off enough heat. We couldn't fit the space heater in our luggage, so we ended up leaving it behind at the apartment.
3) The noise. Not only can you hear through the walls, but you can hear every little sound made on the street outside the window. If you stay here, you'll definitely need to bring earplugs.
4) I was surprisingly charged a foreign transaction fee when I paid through paypal. Apparently their account is a foreign account which is the reason for the fee (even though I paid in dollars). Ultimately I was able to get this fee refunded by my credit card company, but I didn't appreciate the surprise or the hassle of having to get it refunded.
Overall recommendation: Good location with aforementioned drawbacks.
The apartment is the one we live in - hence the decor - and we are very careful (paranoid), when it comes to the usage of the fireplace. That's why we write waht we do in our welcome sheet. The usage requires some special attention (e.g. opening the floo - if it's left open the apartment gets really cold since all the air gets sucked out).
Next time just let us know in advance, that you plan on using the fireplace and we will walk you through it (as we have done with many of our repeat clients)
The heat is regulated not by the city, but building wide, as is custom in NYC. Some of our guests forget to shut the windows when the radiators are kicking and then the building wide thermostat goes off and the apartment cools off without very fast and one has to wait for the entire building to cool down, before the radiators kick in again. It is definitely a NYC idiosyncracy.
In other words, it would have been great to help you, while you were here .. let us know when stuff is not right, while you are here :)
From the Owner
“We fell in love walking by the building and saw the apt being renovated. We found out it was available and love it ever since!”
Activity and Interests
|Rate Period||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
My Standard Rate
3 night minimum stay
* Approximate monthly rate. Actual rate will depend on the days of the month you stay.
Payment is usually accepted in the quoted currency (USD) unless the currency and the amount is specifically agreed in advance with the owner / advertiser.
Additional information about rental rates
- Refundable damage deposit $300
- cleaning $110
You will be sent a payment link, where you sign our rental agreement online. There you will find detailed terms and conditions, including cancellation policies. Make sure to click on all the links we send you in our quote! (in some email clients you have to enable links)
From the Owner
“The block, the neighbourhood!”
- Tourist Attractions
- Air Conditioning
- Basic Soaps
- Clothes Dryer ...
- Hair Dryer
- Linens Provided
- Living Room
- Towels Provided
- Washing Machine ...
- 4 Ring Stove
- Coffee Maker
- Cooking Utensils
- Dishes & Utensils
- Pantry Items ...
- Dining Area
- DVD Player
- Music Library
- Long-term Renters Welcome
- Low Allergen Environment
- Minimum Age Limit for Renters ...
- non smoking only
- pets not allowed
- wheelchair inaccessible
- autumn foliage
- botanical garden
- coin laundry
- live theater
- recreation center
- water parks
- bird watching
- outlet shopping
- paddle boating
- sight seeing
Local Services & Businesses
- fitness center
- massage therapist
Sports & Adventure Activities
- ice skating
- pier fishing
- roller blading
- 750 sq. ft.
- 1 Bathroom
- Bathroom - toilet, combination tub/shower
- 1 Bedroom, Sleeps 2
- Mezzanine - 1 double
- Bedroom - 1 queen
- The mezzanine is only suited for agile persons. We use it mainly for our teenage son when he comes to visit. The headroom is very low. One cannot stand up straight!
- Guests provide their own meals
Learn more about this vacation rental at the owner's website
- One can bring their own computer as we have wifi and a cable for internet. Flat screen TV with basic cable. There is a washing machine and dryer in the building.