House, 4 Bedrooms, 2 Baths, 11 Sleeps
Chateau Rockmoor has it’s own high speed internet hub and you can connect via an ethernet cable or wirelessly. Speed is very fast.
Enjoy a family vacation at Higgins Lake, one of the world's most beautiful lakes. The all stone Chateau Rockmoor is located under towering pines atop Oak Bluff, on the Eastern Shore of the south end of Higgins Lake. Accommodations for up to 11 in 4 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms.
On Higgins Lake
323 Chaney Point Drive Roscommon, MI 48653
Rockmoor: c/o Connie, Jim, Lynne & Bob Frye
1603 East Higgins Lake Drive Roscommon, MI 48653
Our family has owned Chateau Rockmoor for over 37 years. It was built in the 1930's and is a very unique type of dwelling. The exterior is made entirely of rocks from Higgins Lake. The charm of this lakeside retreat is unsurpassed.
Hope you brought your camera because Higgins Lake is the 6th most beautiful lake in the world. There is no place better to spend a summer vacation. Vacationers come from all over the USA to enjoy the crystal clear water and sandy lake bottom; not to mention the beautiful sunsets. It’s truly Pure Michigan
Stayed here a few times
About the Owner
Owned by 2 Frye brothers. Dr. Jim Frye MD and Bob Frye, his much younger brother.
Chateau Rockmoor was the home of our parents Dorothy and George Frye for many years.
2 traveler reviews
Stayed here a few times
Super stay at the Rockmoor on Higgins Lake
The house was very big. Everything worked fine and our kids had a great time. The water front would have been better if it had been warmer, but that's only because we went in May. The outside grill areas are nice both down at the beach and up by the house. I think we grilled twice.
If you chose to use this property, you would not be disappointed if you like time away with your family and lots of space. If you are looking for all the bells and whisles, this is not your place. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and wish it could have been longer.
From the Owner
“This is a really cool place on Higgins Lake. Our parents moved to another house down the beach once and the family missed Chateau Rockmoor so much we moved back by trading houses.”
Activity and Interests
Chateau Rockmoor: Frequently Asked Questions, Activities and Attractions
What is the shoreline like - sandy, rocky? Bluff to the water Rocky/sandy shoreline then a sandy bottom after the shoreline stones.
What is the lake bottom like - sandy, rocky? Sandy. Does the lake bottom have a gradual slope good for wading and families with children? Great wading and swimming for families and children. At 90 feet from shore the depth is 2 1/2 feet with a sandy bottom and crystal clear water.
How's the swimming? Fabulous. What about swimmers itch? Only 10% of people are affected by swimmers itch. If you are think you might be, it is a good idea to enter the water from the end of the dock and towel dry after swimming; or use a waterproof insect repellant with DEET before swimming. When is the water warm enough for swimming? It was great by Memorial Weekend 2010!
And anything else you can think of that is water related - can watercraft be rented and used at the Chateau Rockmoor? Yes, B&B Marina rents ski boats, pontoons and Jet skis.
Fishing opportunities? Higgins Lake is well known for Perch, Bass, Brown Trout, Salmon and big Lake Trout! Check with the Sports Barn Live Bait Store for suggestions.
How’s the plumbing? Chateau Rockmoor’s crystal clear, great tasting tap water comes from an onsite well and sewage is handled by an onsite septic system. Please be patient and conservative with water and don’t put anything in the toilet but toilet paper and “you know what”.
What about the trash? Trash gets picked up on Monday morning. Be sure to put the rolling trashcans (located in garage) out early.
Are pets allowed? No. There are nearby kennels such as North Country Pet Care.
What else? Just a 3 minute walk away to the north and east, is the Gerrish Township Recreation Field. It features well kept Tennis Courts, Basketball court, Baseball field, picnic tables, kids play structures and bathroom facility. Recycling facility is also located there. Cross Country Ski Headquarters is 1.5 miles north, featuring great X-C Ski Trails that make great summer running, hiking & biking trails.
Where can we launch our boat? Boat launching is available at the South Higgins Lake State Park is 2.5 miles south of Chateau Rockmoor.
Where can we buy food and supplies? Town & Country Market is just 1 mile north. IGA is 3 miles south. Glens Market is in Roscommon. Bart’s fruit market at Houghton Lake.
The Village of Roscommon is 6 miles away to the northeast, and features a very large screen Theater (Roscommon Cinema) and great canoeing on the AuSable River (Hiawatha Canoe Livery, Campbell’s, Watters Edge).
What about restaurants? Forest Dunes (10 miles away on Chase Bridge Road northeast of Roscommon) is a 4 star dining and golf Mecca. Fred’s (6 miles away in Roscommon) recently reopened and has great food, Friday fish fry and a bowling alley. Buccilli's (15 miles away at Houghton Lake) is great for Pizza and Italian Food.
Silver Dollar Bar (11 mi away on Higgins Lakes west side) has music & Friday fish fry. Tin Fish Bar (6 miles away in Roscommon) has music & is reasonable. Matt’s Lake Street Grill & Pizzeria and BC Pizza are both in Roscommon (6 miles away) and deliver. Timbers Restaurant on the Cut River (2 miles south) is very close and reasonable. Nibbles (3 miles south just past the S State Park) is the place for ice cream.
And golf options?
Forest Dunes (Golf World Magazine: Readers’ Choice Awards (America) - #1 Forest Dunes - 10 miles away on Chase Bridge Road northeast of Roscommon) is a 4 star dining and golf mecca.
Ye Olde Country Club (4 mi)
Burning Oak (5 mi)
Fox Run (8 mi)
White Deer (14 mi)
Pineview Highlands (17 mi)
The Quest (14 miles)
Garland (four championship Michigan golf courses - 38 mi)
|Rate Period||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
May 23 2015 - Jun 19 2015
3 night minimum stay
Jun 20 2015 - Jun 26 2015
6 night minimum stay
Jun 27 2015 - Aug 14 2015
3 night minimum stay
Aug 15 2015 - Sep 7 2015
2 night minimum stay
Sep 8 2015 - May 20 2016
2 night minimum stay
* Approximate monthly rate. Actual rate will depend on the days of the month you stay.
Payment is usually accepted in the quoted currency (USD) unless the currency and the amount is specifically agreed in advance with the owner / advertiser.
From the Owner
“The house is all made of stones from Higgins Lake. Very unique and would very hard to duplicate today.”
- chateau / country house
- Sports & Activities
- Air Conditioning ...
- Fireplace ...
- Heating ...
- Internet ...
- Linens Provided ...
- Telephone ...
- Coffee Maker ...
- Dishes & Utensils ...
- Dishwasher ...
- Kitchen ...
- Microwave ...
- Oven ...
- Pantry Items ...
- Refrigerator ...
- Stove ...
- Toaster ...
- Dining ...
- Dining Room
- Long-term Renters Welcome
- Minimum Age Limit for Renters ...
- children welcome ...
- non smoking only
- pets not allowed
- wheelchair accessible ...
- Beach View
- Lake View
- Water View
- autumn foliage
- coin laundry
- recreation center
- bird watching
- eco tourism
- gambling casinos
- horseback riding
- outlet shopping
- scenic drives
- sight seeing
Local Services & Businesses
- fitness center
Sports & Adventure Activities
- basketball court
- fly fishing
- freshwater fishing
- hunting small game
- ice skating
- jet skiing
- mountain biking
- pier fishing
- roller blading
- scuba diving or snorkeling
- water skiing
- water tubing
- 2355 sq. ft.
- 2 Bathrooms
- Bathroom 1 - toilet, shower, Also has 2 sinks, washer and dryer.
- Bathroom 2 - toilet, tub, Floor is newly tiled. Tub fills slowly.
- 4 Bedrooms, Sleeps 11
- Bedroom Upstairs North - 1 double, 1 twin/ single
- Bedroom Master Downstairs - 1 queen, 1 twin/ single
- Bedroom Upstairs Middle - 1 queen
- Bedroom Upstairs South - 1 double, 1 twin/ single
- Outdoor Grill
- Guests provide their own meals
- All linens are furnished and beds are made. Just use your own beach towels. The paved parking area will accommodate four cars and across from the stone garage on the East side of Chaney Point Drive there is even room to park one or two boat or snowmobile trailers. Outside, there’s a back patio and grill. In front, on the lakeside, Rockmoor has a dock, two boat moorings, beach grill and patio, beach bonfire pit, sandy play area for the kids and great swimming in crystal clear fresh water. The sandy lake bottom at 50 paces from shore is only 3 to 4 feet deep making this an ideal location for water sports. Our heavy duty, deep water mooring for larger boats has a 7 to 1 scope with 15 feet of chain and 5/8 inch 3 strand nylon line. Our shallow water, near shore mooring for pontoons and smaller boats, also has 7 to 1 scope. These moorings use shackles to attach to the boat’s bow eye. Be sure to tighten shackles firmly with pliers when securing boat to mooring. On the first floor you will find the kitchen with dishwasher, electric oven and stovetop, coffee maker, crock pot, microwave and a good assortment of pots and pans. The living room includes a fireplace, Cable TV and DVD. The dining room seats 8 with ease. The breakfast sunroom seats 6. The glassed in (with screens) front porch (for those beautiful sunsets) also has a table that seats 6. There is also one downstairs bedroom and one downstairs bathroom with shower and a washer and dryer,. The second floor has 3 bedrooms and a bathroom with a bathtub/shower.