THE NORSE HUS IS A LARGE MOUNTAIN HOME WITH 4 BEDROOMS, 3 BATHS, THAT SLEEPS 18.
* Don't forget to bookmark this page for future reference!
* NEW! Starting June 2015, Linens and Towels are provided for up to 14 people.
The Norse Hus is a beautiful mountain home in a wooded setting. 2,500 Square Feet of comfortable living and is only a two hour drive from San Francisco East Bay. We are located in the Brentwood Park Neighborhood of Twain Harte on a 2/3 acre lot with lots of trees and privacy.
THE HOUSE IN A NUTSHELL:
Four bedroom, 3 bath, in 2 stories:
* UPPER (MAIN) FLOOR: Large living room, den with fireplace, large kitchen, dining room, master bedroom (which includes a private master bath and private deck), one bath, and main deck access.
* LOWER FLOOR: Three bedrooms, 3rd bath, and large family room with foosball table and pellet stove.
* THE DECK is accessed from the upper level, which is a wrap-around deck with furniture and two barbecues for summer entertaining. The deck also has large hammock to doze on while listening to the creek.
The Norse Hus is not a sterile income property, but our private vacation home and comes with personal touches that we hope makes your stay in Twain Harte more enjoyable.
STAYING AT THE NORSE HUS:
The Norse Hus is located in a a very peaceful area of Twain Harte known as Brentwood Park. It is only a 1.5 mile walk to downtown, but away from the noise and general business of central Twain Harte.
WHAT IS SPECIAL ABOUT THE NORSE HUS:
1. The Norse Hus is named after our Scandinavian heritage and you will see cultural hints throughout.
2. Size matters! The Norse Hus is 2,500 square feet and has an open floor plan and large living spaces that nicely accommodates groups and families. There are not too many cabin rentals this size in Twain Harte.
3. Privacy in the forest. The cabin is in a neighborhood with larger lots than those in downtown. The cabin is nicely screened with one third of an acre of tall mature pines, cedars, and dogwoods. The property is on some kind of local "deer highway", and it is rare for guests to NOT see deer during their stay.
4. High quality linens for up to 14 people. 500 thread count cotton sheets and sets of towels will be placed on each bed before your arrival.
5. A modern 2-zone forced air heating system will keep you comfortable during the winter nights.
6. People love the Norse Hus. We have annual repeat guests going back ten years. See the reviews!
A TOUR THROUGH THE NORSE HUS:
The house is entered from the top (second) story front deck into a large rustic living room with open beam ceilings. With three couches, easy chairs, and ample additional space. This is an ideal space for large groups and parties. One of two TV and DVD players in the house are in this room.
Directly adjacent to the living room is a large spacious kitchen that has all major and minor appliances and plenty of room for multiple cooks. Adjoining the kitchen and large living room is a smaller intimate den with a fireplace, comfortable seats and another couch. This (den) room opens out onto the rear deck. The den has a large assortment of the most popular family board games.
The deck is enormous and wraps from the front to the side and finally the back. The front deck has table and chairs for six and a large folded picnic table and stacked chairs that can be added to accommodate a large number of people. The side deck has a hammock and two charcoal barbecues. The back deck is set up as an outdoor living room with couch and chairs.
With the three inter-connecting rooms (Living, Kitchen, den) and multiple deck access points, the upstairs can accommodate a substantial number of people without feeling crowded, even in winter without use of the deck.
Adjacent to the kitchen is a dining room with an old farm table that can seat up to eight people. There is a sturdy folding table and chairs in the master closet that can be used to expand the dining room seating. Adjacent to the dining room is the upstairs bathroom with a large comfortable shower.
The final living space upstairs is the master bedroom. The spacious Master has a queen bed and two single roll away beds in storage. There is also one of the two house Graco porta-cribs in the closet. The master has two large windows with views into the forest, and a small private deck. Lastly there is an updated master bath with two sinks, vanity and tub.
From the living room a stair case descends to the lower floor, opening up to a large family room equipped with two more couches, a foosball table, a pellet stove, and second TV. Three bedrooms and a bath with large shower all open into the family room. The lower floor is often a great place for kids to have their own space away from the adults upstairs, but not completely separated.
At the base of the stairs is bathroom number three with a large shower, and bedroom number two, which we call 'The Troll Room.' The troll room has a queen sized bed plus a single bed, and it is decorated with troll artwork pine cones and rustic nordic ski pictures. The second Graco porta-crib is in the closet of this bedroom.
The next downstairs bedroom is 'The Bunk House.' This makes a great kid room, but can also accommodate adults. The Bunk House has two sets of bunk beds, one with two singles and one with a double and a single.
The fourth and final bedroom downstairs is called 'The Wine Cave.' The Wine Cave is a cozy and charming little oasis away from general activity of the house. It has a double bed and is decorated in a wine country theme.
Off the family room is a door to the two car garage. There is one space available for parking inside the garage.
There are two TV's with DVD's in the house and WiFi internet. There is no cable TV, but there is an endless array of movies and other DVD's for all ages. One TV is in the upstairs living room and the second is downstairs in the family room.
A TOUR OF THE PROPERTY:
The property around the Norse Hus is densely forested and distinctly private. The trees are nicely mixed with Ponderosa Pine, Douglas Fir, Red Cedar, Black Oak, Canyon Oak, all with a beautiful understory of native Dogwood trees.
While the house is in a neighborhood, it is nicely separated from adjacent cabins. A low flow shallow brook meanders along the north property line. It runs year round except on rare occasions. A tire swing is nearby, and along with the brook, children will be occupied for hours.
At the rear of the property is a full sized horseshoe pit. You will find horseshoes hanging on the back deck. And finally around to the south side is a flexible flat open area.
The front of the house has a circular driveway that can support three cars and a double wide driveway in front of the garage that can support two more cars. There is a flat space along the street for boats and RV's, or additional cars. Including the garage, driveways, and street frontage there is room for eight cars at the Norse Hus.
Four Couples Escape Birthday
About the Owner
I have been coming to Twain Harte since I was 5 years old when my parents bought their first cabin here. The Norse Hus is my second cabin and was not intended as a rental at first. My family and I enjoy the cabin year round. We are avid skiers and hikers. I am also a semi-professional photographer and the cabin has many of my local work decorating the walls.
Guestbook comments from the owner
We enjoyed the cabin and loved the privacy on the back deck.
The deer walking through the property and all the birds was great.
Having only 2 bathrooms with a large group, majority
women can be challenging in itself.
(Owner note: We now have 3 full bathrooms. The new bathroom is in the Master bedroom and has two sinks and a bathtub)
But overall I enjoyed the stay there and would recommend it to others.
Especially smaller groups or family of 8 or less.
Thank you ~ Mozie
4.5 based on 4 traveler reviews
Lots of space but needs some maintenance
That said, we did have a few issues I feel need to be noted. The outside stairs leading to the front door are in need of repair. They are not level in some spots and some steps are cracked and very worn. A bit of a challenge for those in our group. The kitchen was large, but the lights in the kitchen intermittently went off by themselves and couldn't be turned back on. They would work fine for a while and then just go off. A couple hours later, they would come back on and then, just go off again. I am never comfortable with electric issues in a house.
Lastly, sheets and towels are not provided - you will have to bring your own. For us, two of our couples flew in from out of state and the other drove from Oregon. There was no way for them to bring all this stuff with them. Luckily, we had local family to borrow sheets and towels from. Otherwise, not sure what we would have done. I've done a lot of VRBO, as well as being a VRBO landlord myself, and this is the first time I've been asked to bring my own sheets and towels.
Thank you for your comments, and I am glad you enjoyed the Norse Hus cabin. The cabin is well suited to reunions and family gatherings such as yours. We work hard to make all of our guests happy and comfortable.
I feel terrible that you experienced this sudden problem with the lights as the guest before you did not experience this problem. We had an electrician work on it immediately and it was a faulty circuit breaker. These things cannot be predicted, and I thank you for calling me to let me know. The front stairs are already scheduled for replacement this year. While the stairs are safe, they are worn and ready for renewal. We strive to keep the costs down for our guests, and providing linens for a cabin of this size would make the rent or cleaning fee higher. Bringing your own linens is common for cabin rentals. Having said that, we have decided to provide linens service for up to 14 beginning in June of 2015. On your next visit, we hope to exceed your expectations.
Four Couples Escape Birthday
Great weekend get away in the mountains
It was a pleasure having you! I hope you plan a return soon to the Norse Hus.
Our annual retreat to the Norse Hus
From the Owner
“We were captivated by this property because it is a larger lot with 100's of trees giving a very secluded and private setting. The Brentwood Park area of Twain Harte is much quieter downtown Twain Harte, but is only 1.5 mile walk to town.”
Activity and Interests
LOCAL WINTER ACTIVITIES:
Twenty miles to Dodge Ridge Ski Resort, Leland Meadows sledding hill, and Snow Park (snowmobiles). Ice skating in Long Barn.
LOCAL SUMMER ACTIVITIES:
Free swimming at beautiful Pinecrest Lake (20 minutes up the road), Kennedy Meadows (horse back riding), Emigrant Wilderness and Stanislaus Forest hiking, Stanislaus River swimming and hiking, Tuolumne River (river rafting),
New Melones(water ski lake), outdoor movies at Pinecrest Lake, tons of hiking and biking everywhere for family and for challenge. Thee is a Community Pool in
downtown Twain Harte for reasonable rates.
ACTIVITIES ANY TIME OF YEAR:
Fourteen miles to Sonora, six miles to Black Oak Casino in Tuolumne City (with bowling alley and arcade for the whole family!). Also, Historic Columbia, Jamestown, Railtown train museum, and Saddle Creek and Mountain Springs championship golf courses. Twain Harte has a nine hole pitch and put golf course downtown. There is a 10 screen movie theater in Sonora. Twain Harte features two fine dining restaurants and multiple family restaurant choices.
The Norse Hus Cabin has brochures for most of the local recreation, shopping and sightseeing opportunities.
|Rate Period||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event|
Standard Rate 2015
Dec 28 2014 - Nov 24 2015
2 night minimum stay
Nov 25 2015 - Nov 28 2015
4 night minimum stay
Standard Rate 2015
Nov 29 2015 - Dec 19 2015
2 night minimum stay
Christmas Week 2015
Dec 20 2015 - Dec 26 2015
7 night minimum stay
Standard Rate 2016
Dec 27 2015 - Nov 22 2016
2 night minimum stay
Nov 23 2016 - Nov 26 2016
4 night minimum stay
Standard Rate 2016
Nov 27 2016 - Dec 17 2016
2 night minimum stay
Dec 18 2016 - Dec 26 2016
8 night minimum stay
Payment is usually accepted in the quoted currency (USD) unless the currency and the amount is specifically agreed in advance with the owner / advertiser.
Additional information about rental rates
- Deposit incl. $200 clean $300.00
(Two night minimum, Three night minimum on Holidays):
WEEKEND & HOLIDAY RATES: $250/night (2 night minimum - 3 on holidays).
Weekends are Thursday to Sunday (4 PM arrival, 11 AM departure).
WEEKDAY RATES: $225/night (2 night minimum). Weekdays are Sunday
thru Thursday (4 PM arrival, 11 AM departure).
WEEKLY RATE: $1,400/week. Week rentals are Friday-to-Friday or Sunday-to-
Sunday (4 PM arrival, 11:00 AM depart)
Thanksgiving: $1,000 (4 days minimum)
Christmas Week: $1,625 (note 2016 includes one extra day free - day after Christmas Day)
Deposit at booking/reservation is $300. Of this initial payment, $100 is refundable two weeks after your stay. The other $200 is deducted for cleaning, garbage service, and linens/towels for up to 14 people. If you notify me at time of booking, you may opt out of linens and towels for an $80 savings. If you opt-out, $180 of the $300 deposit is refundable two weeks after your stay.
From the Owner
“The large deck wraps around three sides of the cabin so you can always find a sunny or shady spot, whatever you prefer. The house is huge on Twain Harte standards and works very well for multiple families with children. The downstairs has a large family room, which is great for kids, while the upstairs has multiple living spaces, so everyone can find peace or activity within the house.”
- Away From It All
- Sports & Activities
- Garage ...
- Hair Dryer
- Heating ...
- Internet ...
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided ...
- Living Room ...
- Parking ...
- Towels Provided ...
- Wood Stove ...
- Coffee Maker
- Dishes & Utensils
- Pantry Items ...
- Dining Area
- Books ...
- DVD Player ...
- Game Room ...
- Games ...
- Stereo ...
- Television ...
- Toys ...
- Video Library ...
Pool / Spa
- Communal Pool ...
- children welcome ...
- non smoking only
- pets considered ...
- Mountain View
- autumn foliage
- coin laundry
- bird watching
- gambling casinos
- horseback riding
- paddle boating
- scenic drives
- sight seeing
Local Services & Businesses
Sports & Adventure Activities
- fly fishing
- golf privileges optional
- ice skating
- mountain biking
- ski lift privileges
- water skiing
- whitewater rafting
- 2500 sq. ft.
- 3 Bathrooms
- Bathroom 1 - toilet, tub, Master bathroom with double sinks and tub
- Bathroom 2 - toilet, shower, Second bath - upstairs
- Bathroom 3 - toilet, shower, Third bathroom, downstairs
- Bathroom 2 and 3 have large comfortable showers. Bathroom 1 (master) has a small cozy tub.
- 4 Bedrooms, Sleeps 18
- Bedroom 2 'Troll Room' - 1 queen, 1 twin/ single, The 'Troll Room' has one queen and one single bed
- Bedroom 3 'Bunk House' - 1 double, 3 twin/ single, the 'kid' room has two bunkbeds, with one double bed bottom
- Bedroom 4 The 'Wine Cave' - 1 double, The 'Wine Cave' has one double bed and lots of privacy
- Bedroom 1 - Master Bedroom - 1 queen, 1 twin/ single, Master Bedroom has one queen and one single roll-away bed.
- The master bedroom has a master bath and is the only bedroom upstairs. The other three bedrooms are downstairs.
- Deck / Patio ...
- Golf ...
- Outdoor Grill ...
- Ski & Snowboard ...
- Tennis ...
- Guests provide their own meals
Learn more about this vacation rental at the owner's website
- The Cabin is set up to accommodate families with children, but is also very nice for a peaceful retreat. The Cabin sleeps 9 to 12 in beds, plus 6 more in convertible couch, futon, and roll-aways (perfect for two families.) Two car garage (one space available) with ample off street parking for cars and boat. Two TVs (no cable), one VCR, two DVDs, stereo, answering machine, High Speed Wireless Internet access, and two (2) charcoal barbecues. Spacious kitchen has all appliances including dishwasher, disposal, and microwave. House has a regulation size foosball table. Property has a horseshoe pit and a tire swing. A short 1.5 mile walk to charming downtown Twain Harte and Twain Harte Lake, 9-hole golf, miniature golf, restaurants, Saturday night music in the park, laundry, and community pool. We can email a 'Cabin FAQ Sheet' to help with your trip planning, including additional information such as bed sizes/locations, detail kitchen facilities, dining arrangements, and other particulars.