House, 2 Bedrooms, 1 Baths, 7 Sleeps
A wonderful secluded cottage surrounded by trees yet very close to Long Pond, the finest of the Belgrade Lakes, known for its pristine water for swimming, boating and fishing. The third largest of the Belgrade Lakes it is 12 miles long and covers 2,557 acres,
We are retired academics (Colby College/U of Michigan & Bowdoin college) and picked this beautiful spot because it is quiet (away from too noisy vacationers) for reading, writing, and relaxing as well as the usual lake activities. Most of the year we live in busy London, England.
The bargain rental rate is because the cottage is not ON the lake, just a 3 minute walk away.
Our place is part of a large private association (Wildwood)
that has a sandy community swimming beach with a floating dock and swings for the children. A boat dock is a 3 minute walk and the swimming beach.is a 8 minute walk from the cottage along a well maintained dirt road.
One advantage of being near, but
not on the lake, and surrounded by beautiful forest is that we are constantly visited by friendly wildlife: birds, chipmunks, the occasional deer, a wandering flock of wild turkeys, etc. And of course we can hear the wonderful sound of the loons in the evenings.
Although rustic looking, this modern well insulated cottage is only 25 years old and can sleep up to 7-8. There are two upstairs bedrooms, one with a new king size posturepedic mattress bed, the other with 2 new regular size beds. A new fold out couch/futon is in the living room, and a futon with mattress is in the front enclosed porch room used in the summer months.
We are 1 hour drive from the Portland, Maine Jetport, 3 hours from Boston, 5 hours from New York, and 5 hours from Quebec, Canada. All the amenities and local towns & activities are listed below.
**FOR THOSE INTERESTED IN AN OFF-SEASON OR WINTER RENTAL:
In late September-October is the famous fall foliage season. with its magnificent colors. The locals call it 'leaf Peeking:
In the WINTER there is great cross country skiing right in the area with down hill skiing 27 miles away. One of the best down-hill skiing areas in the USA is at Sugarloaf , 49 miles north which has 138 trails, the longest being 3.5 miles from summit to base. There are 15 lifts. Then there is skating & ice fishing on Long Pond, a 3 minute walk from the cottage where you can catch Northern pike, wide-mouth bass, salmon, & trout.
It is a very special area with a modern winterized cottage heated by excellent baseboard heat and/or a superb wood stove.
Please click on the 'availability calendar' for open dates.
If you wish to bring a pet please email the details (age, size, disposition, trained, etc). The yard is not fenced & visited by deer, turkeys, etc.
Here is a comment from a 2 season renter:
'I have rented the Rose cottage for the past two summers and it has been delightful. It's peaceful and quiet; the only sounds you hear are tweets from the birds. The kitchen is very well equipped, from lobster pot to rolling pin. Cottage is very well furnished, with comfortable beds and internet connection. And there is a great variety of things to do in the area. Sally from Florida'
About the Owner
We are retired professors who taught at Colby College & Bowdoin College so we know & love this part of Maine.. We currently live in London, UK
From the Owner
“It is a quiet fantastic spot for reading, writing & relaxing as well as the usual lake activities( swimming, boating, fishing, etc) but avoids potential noisy vacationers. One advantage of being near but not on the lake (3 min walk) is that our beautiful forest spot is constantly visited by friendly wildlife: birds, chipmunks, the occasional deer, a wandering flock of wild turkeys,& we still hear the wonderful sounds of loons on the lake..”
Activity and Interests
*Private sandy swimming beach with a floating dock.
* There are 2 playgrounds with equipment for kids; one at the
swimming beach and another about 3 minutes from the cottage
*motor or sail boating. Boats and tackle can be rented on Long pond
from Castle Island Camps (5 minutes by car). Also there are boat
rental & Sea plane rides at Great Pond (13 min by car).
*fishing (famous for bass/pike/lake trout & land locked salmon)
Tackle as well as bait can be purchased at Day’s village store in
Belgrade Village (see below)
* Golfing - there are several courses in the area. Belgrade Lakes
Golf Club, voted in top 5 best public courses in the US, is just 10
min by car
* there are many hiking trails (detailed map at Day’s store, Belgrade village)
* Horseback Riding - riding lessons at Rome Horse Farm.
* Berry Picking - fun activity. In addition to finding berries close
by, there are several fruit farms in the area for strawberry,
blueberry & raspberry and apple picking.
* Antique lovers will not only find an abundance of shops in the area,
but several weekly antique auctions, such as in Burnham, Maine, an
experience not to be missed. The 'in-Maine' secret here is that the local auction starts at 7AM, while the tourist/better quality auction begins at 11AM. I usually stay for both.
* Picturesque Belgrade Village, just 15 minutes away by car (or a nice
bike ride) has 3 fine restaurants, an internet Café, Day’s Village
store (food, liquor, tackle, souvenirs, and the New York Times, and
LOBSTER) as well as several souvenir & arts shops. Some of the locals
also sell lobster and crab during the summer.
* Mount Vernon, 12 minutes by car, has a general store with a good supply of hardware, a very nice resturant which features a jazz night once a month. Another general store about one mile from this town (Flying pond store & gas ststaion) has an enormous supply DVD movies. (our house TV has a built in DVD recorder)
* Waterville, Maine (25 min by car)has:
Colby College w famous art museum
1st rate art film cinema
Many different restaurants & interesting shops as well as standard
large stores (large and well stocked super markets, K-Mart, Staples, etc)
*Augusta, Maine (20 min by car)
huge shopping complex
* Freeport, Maine with the Famous LL Bean store and much outlet
shopping is only 45 min away
* In addition there are many seacoast places worth visiting, such as
Camden ,Maine, Rockland, Maine with its famous art museum, etc as well
as smaller eating places on the Atlantic ocean and in picturesque
villages noted for their lobster, seafood and other choices
See note above about off season rentals
|Rate Period||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
Mar 15 2015 - May 31 2015
Changeover Day: Saturday
3 night minimum stay
Jun 1 2015 - Oct 17 2015
7 night minimum stay
Oct 18 2015 - Mar 13 2016
3 night minimum stay
* Approximate monthly rate. Actual rate will depend on the days of the month you stay.
Payment is usually accepted in the quoted currency (USD) unless the currency and the amount is specifically agreed in advance with the owner / advertiser.
Additional information about rental rates
- Refundable damage deposit $300
- Tax Rate 8.0%
Certified check or Paypal; 1/2 at initial request; 1/2 2 weeks beforearrival
SUMMER SEASONAL: May 30-October 17: (7 night min); $895/week; $2900/month
SPRING March 15-May 30 $150/night (3 night min), $795/week: $2550/month
WINTER October 17 - March, 2916 $175/night (3 night min): 795/week; $2750/month (includes heat & plowing)
8% Maine tax + $75 cleaning fee; Rentals begin SAT @ 2PM & end SAT @ 10AM EMAIL FOR ADDITIONAL DETAILS
From the Owner
“There are many activities in the area from water activities, to hiking,to antique hunting & especially to seafood eating. See thefull list on this site”
- Away From It All
- Sports & Activities
- Clothes Dryer
- Garage ...
- Hair Dryer
- Heating ...
- Internet ...
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided ...
- Living Room ...
- Parking ...
- Towels Provided ...
- Washing Machine ...
- Wood Stove ...
- Coffee Maker ...
- Dishes & Utensils ...
- Kitchen ...
- Microwave ...
- Oven ...
- Refrigerator ...
- Stove ...
- Toaster ...
- Dining ...
- Dining Area
- DVD Player ...
- Music Library ...
- Satellite / Cable
- Television ...
- children welcome ...
- non smoking only ...
- pets considered ...
- Beach View
- Golf Course Front
- Golf Course View
- Mountain View
- autumn foliage
- botanical garden
- recreation center
- bird watching
- eco tourism
- horseback riding
- outlet shopping
- paddle boating
- scenic drives
- sight seeing
Local Services & Businesses
- fitness center
- massage therapist
- medical services
Sports & Adventure Activities
- equestrian events
- fly fishing
- freshwater fishing
- golf privileges optional
- ice skating
- mountain biking
- mountain climbing
- pier fishing
- water skiing
- 1 Bathroom
- Bathroom 1
- complete with bathtub & shower.
- 2 Bedrooms, Sleeps 8
- Bedroom 1
- Bedroom 2
- #1=master bedroom with king size tempur-pedic mattress #2= 2 twin beds. In addition there is a large new couch/futon in the living room with an extremely comfortable large mattress. as well as a smaller but comfortable futon in the enclosed front porch for summer use. Both futons comfortably sleep 2 adults
- Boat ...
- Deck / Patio ...
- Golf ...
- Lawn / Garden ...
- Outdoor Grill
- Water Sports Gear ...
- Guests provide their own meals
- * Modern kitchen w electric stove, refrigerator, toaster, microwave, coffee maker * All cooking pots/pans & utensils including a lobster pot ***WASHER AND DRYER*** * Electric baseboard heat + large wood stove * Full large bathroom with shower and tub; towels, etc * Living room has cable TV, DVD, Stereo *** Wireless internet *** * 2 small work/study desks for us retired academics. We use cell phones as there is no regular phone hookup * There are 2 upstairs bedrooms, one with 2 single beds, the other with a large king size bed with a tempur-pedic mattress. There is a queen size fold out couch in the living room and a futon in the front enclosed porch. All have blankets & pillows. * Sizable outside backyard deck w a table, lounge chairs, and a charcoal grill (bbq) * Tree shaded front yard (parking for 3 cars and/or a boat) and a very nice grass backyard.(see photo) * Lawn maintenance is provided