River Frontage Completely renovated in 2007, deck overlooks private frontage on South Toe River, with Pisgah
National Forest on the far bank. Short walk to Carolina Hemlocks Recreation Area operated by the
National Forest where there is a terrific swimming hole. This is some of the best trout fishing
waters in the eastern US. We're located amidst the highest concentrations of hand-made
craftspersons in the US, with Penland School only half hour drive, and studios scattered throughout
the valley. Just 5 miles off the Blue Ridge Parkway at exit 344, half-way between Marion and
Burnsville. Less than an hours drive to Biltmore Estate, Grandfather Mountain, Linville Falls and
Gorge. Half hour to Burnsville, Marion and interstate 40, Penland School of Crafts. BBQ on deck,
hammock hung and ready for your rest and relaxation, down by the river. Firepit, have a bonfire,
burn a burger or two. Walk to mom and pop store and gas, fishing supplies, etc.
Bring cell phone.
****Don't let someone else get your reservation while you're waiting for us to respond to your email. We have 24/7 secure reservation system with more photos, details, and we take all major credit cards. Make your reservation now, don't be left looking for second best. Call me for that link and we'll "git'er done" ****
I cannot begin to tell you how much we enjoyed our stay at the Bear's Den! My entire family had such a wonderful time that we are hoping the cabin is available the same time next year. We would love to make this stay a yearly tradition. Thank you for letting our family come together and enjoy being with each other. It can be hard sometimes with 4 children, but this trip opened my eyes to our joyous children and loving family!
Thank you so much and I hope to be talking with you again soon!
Things to Do Nearby
Within 5-10 miles
* Carolina Hemlocks Recreation Park - Operated by Pisgah National Forest, Hiking trails, terrific swimming hole in summer, RV and tent camping, tubing in the river, great trout fishing in the South Toe River.
* Mount Mitchell Golf Course - Rated 4 1/2 stars by Golf Digest one of the best public courses in the mountains, centered on the South Toe River which comes into play on almost every fairway on the back nine.
* Black Mountain Campground - Within the Pisgah National Forest and along the South Toe River watershed on Mount Mitchell's eastern slope. Hunting, Fishing, waterfalls, hiking trails, RV dump station, RV and tent camping.
* Setrock Waterfalls - located at Black Mountain Campground, about 1/2 mile hike, cascading waterfall of over one hundred feet.
* Little Switzerland -- quaint shops, great restuarants
* Roaring Fork Waterfall - only 1/2 mile from Mount Mitchell Golf Course, one of the most spectacular falls in the area, and a real hidden gem. Its 1/2 mile hike up a forest road, nearly level hike.
Within 10-20 miles
* Burnsville and its quaint old town square.
* Penland School of Crafts - I like to call it the "Juliard" of craft arts. Its located between Burnsville and Spruce Pine, and has drawn many artists to the area. We may have the largest concentration of craft artists in the Eastern US.
* Numerous Craft Studios scattered throughout the area
* Mount Mitchell State Park - and home of four of the top ten mountain peaks in the US, including Mount Mitchell which is the highest peak East of the Rockies.
* Lynnville Falls - a popular tourist destination
* Mast General Store
* Roan Mountain State Park - popular for its hundreds of acres of bald mountain covered in pink flowering native Rhododendrons. The Rhododendron festival is generally in late June at the town of Bakersville.
* Lake Lure near Black Mountain, wonderful mountain lake with high-end mountain homes and estates
* Lake James near Marion, boating and fishing, public access
* Chimney Rock, now publicly owned, a natural wonder and great hiking spot.
* Black Mountain, a town renowned for its small shops and restuarants, great place to spend an afternoon.
Within 45-60 miles
* Asheville - One of the "happiest" towns in America, a true mountain town with a lively art culture.
* Biltmore Estate - The largest private residence in America built by George Vanderbuilt, and now open for tours, one of the premier tourist destinations in the East.
* Blowing Rock, a wonderful mountain retreat with great shopping.
* Wolf Laurel Ski Resort
* Grandfather Mountain - biosphere and privately owned park (open to public). Excellent hiking, wildlife park, etc.
* Beech Mountain Ski Resort
* Sugar Mountain Ski Resort