This large, comfortable 'backbeach' house is what summer's all about: swimming pool, tennis, beach, family, fun. Sailors' End is situated on the culdesac at the end of the road--set back from the beachfront--where kids can play in the huge yard or bike the small community while you relax on the deck. Up the road, the private community swimming pool is warm and welcoming with tennis next door. Down the road (~5 min stroll) is the community's private beach access to the golden sand of Mutiny Bay--SW-facing and great for beachcombing, beach fires, and building castles and forts, a favorite local kids' pasttime. Sailors' End borders a nature preserve where you'll hear the croaking of frogs at twilight, and see rabbits, deer, bald eagles, osprey, and, at night, STARS!
The upstairs living area is spacious and airy with sky lights and an open floorplan facing partial views of Puget Sound and the Olympic Mountains. It's been recently remodeled with new windows, doors, and bamboo flooring--clean and fresh. Master bedroom has king bed; second upstairs bedroom has double. All bedrooms have down comforters and pillows (non-down options available). Kitchen has that comfortable beach feel--large & functional, not fussy or fancy--and is laid out well for multiple chefs, and stocked with plenty of everything for large groups. Open floorplan with eating bar is great for socializing; artistic touches add whimsy and style.
If you've got friends or kids joining you, you'll make use of the lower level with its huge light & bright family room--DVD player, board games, toys, and fireplace. Also two more bedrooms (queen + twin, and full + twin) and laundry room. Ping pong table in the carport! Cornhole (bean bag toss) for the deck or yard! Plenty of space for folks to gather together and play or chat, or curl up alone for a little down time.
We're a short drive--or bike ride!--to Freeland's excellent grocery store, Langley's antique shops, and South Whidbey State Park's old-growth hiking trails. Large backyard has apple tree and swing, and beckons for wiffle ball, croquet, or bocce ball. Sailors' End is the kind of beach house you remember from your childhood--not fussy or fancy--but clean, bright, comfortable, well-appointed, and a great place for relaxation and fun.
* Our community's private beach at sunset
* Our mountain and water view through living room windows at sunset
* Living room is comfortable for groups large or small
* Large, well-stocked kitchen with eating bar
* Open floor plan includes sizeable dining area
* The Captains' Room (upstairs): king bed + desk
* The Mountain Room (upstairs): double bed
* The Zoo Room (downstairs): queen + twin + desk
* The Wave Room (downstairs): double + twin + desk
* Family room (downstairs): futon + couch + TV/VCR + game table
* The view from our deck
* A particularly dramatic sunset
* Swimming pool has tables, lounge chairs, & a great view
* Great for kids--lots of pool toys, kiddie area, pool house with bathrooms
* Tennis court has great view too
* Front of house with deck
I'm Janna, a writer, and my partner Graeme runs an outdoor gear company. We're both natives of the Pacific Northwest and, even though we've sailed all over the world, we think this is the best place on earth. We have two school-aged daughters who love to build sand castles on the beach and swim once (or twice) a day at our community's private kid-friendly pool.
Your place is the best place in the world!!!!
-from a 7-year-old guest
We really enjoyed your great beach house, the books, the swing, toys, beach combing, and Greenbank Farms. Thanks so much!
-from her parents
“Graeme and I bought this big ole beach house years ago and filled it with friends, dogs, and beer-pong tournaments back when it still had shag carpet and fake-wood paneling. Since then we've slowly fixed it up, eventually gutting the place and installing proper walls, windows, and bamboo flooring (we were fine letting that shag carpet go). But it still has its beachy charm with driftwood mantels and a lovely open floorpan that's great for spending quality time with friends and family.”
Whidbey Island has quaint seaside villages, gourmet restaurants, lush forests, and beautiful beaches. Enjoy:
- Mutiny Bay's golden sand beach--beachcomb, build sand castles, roast s'mores
- Whidbey State Parks--count the steps in Admiralty Lighthouse, play hide and seek in Fort Casey's bunkers, hike the windblown bluff at Fort Ebey
- Excellent fishing, crabbing, shrimping in Mutiny Bay--launch at Mutiny Bay public boat ramp just south of us; launch at Bush Point public boat ramp just north of us
- Five public golf courses--Holmes Harbor 18-hole course is just a 5-min. drive away
- Great backroads biking--cycle through rolling farmlands and past stunning water vistas
- Whidbey's cute seaside towns--shop farmer's markets in Bayview, taste wine in Greenbank, buy mussels in Coupeville, gallery hop and antique hunt in Langley
|Rate Period||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event|
My Standard Rate
Feb 1 2014 - Feb 1 2015
1 night minimum stay
Payment is usually accepted in the quoted currency (US Dollar) unless the currency and the amount is specifically agreed in advance with the owner / advertiser.
“We love being set back away from the bustle of the beach, where we have privacy and our kids can roam the HUGE backyard and do loop-de-loops in the cul-de-sac on their bikes. Meanwhile we kick back with a glass of wine on the deck. The view of the water and mountains lets you know you're at the beach, but the size of the house lets you spread out and relax with all your friends and family (beachfront houses in our community are limited to one-story). Mutiny Bay is the best sand beach on the island!”