Perched on the banks of one of the finest trout streams in North America, Imagine stepping from your back door out onto rocks jutting out into the South Toe River and dropping a fly into pristine waters just yards outside Pisgah National Forest lands! You'll dream of native brookies tugging on your line as you listen to the rushing water all night long. Like rain on the roof, its just loud enough to prick your conscientiousness, but soft enough to lull you to sleep at night. Goldfinch Cabin is two homes in one, with 3 bedrooms upstairs, and two downstairs.
Each level has a kitchen and living room area, and a large bonus area over the garage. Lots of space, perhaps 3500 square feet, and huge decks provide expansive views of the river below. The home comes with pool table, huge parking area, and all the appliances you would find at home, including dish washer, washer and dryer, microwave, etc. '
Step out your door and within a hundred yards you can walk directly into Pisgah National Forest trails leading to Black Mountain Campground, Setrock Falls, and linking trails to Mt Mitchell itself. Within two miles you can visit two outstanding waterfalls (you can drive to within a half mile and then walk), also Mt Mitchell Golf Course with its restuarant and lounge. In the evening, shoot a game of pool, or sit on the deck and listen to the river rush by.
The cabin is only 2 miles off the Blue Ridge Parkway at milepost #344, and is about as close to Mt Mitchell as you can get without camping in a tent!! You're also only an hour from ASheville and its Biltmore Estate
Don't let someone else get your reservation while you're waiting for us to respond to your email. We have 24/7 secure reservation system with more photos, details, and we take all major credit cards. Make your reservation now, don't be left looking for second best. Call me for that link and we'll "git'er done"
Things to Do Nearby
Within 5-20 miles
* Carolina Hemlocks Recreation Park - Operated by Pisgah National Forest, Hiking trails, terrific swimming hole in summer, RV and tent camping, tubing in the river, great trout fishing in the South Toe River.
* Mount Mitchell Golf Course - Rated 4 1/2 stars by Golf Digest one of the best public courses in the mountains, centered on the South Toe River which comes into play on almost every fairway on the back nine.
* Black Mountain Campground - Within the Pisgah National Forest and along the South Toe River watershed on Mount Mitchell's eastern slope. Hunting, Fishing, waterfalls, hiking trails, RV dump station, RV and tent camping.
* Setrock Waterfalls - located at Black Mountain Campground, about 1/2 mile hike, cascading waterfall of over one hundred feet.
* Little Switzerland -- quaint shops, great restuarants
* Roaring Fork Waterfall - only 1/2 mile from Mount Mitchell Golf Course, one of the most spectacular falls in the area, and a real hidden gem. Its 1/2 mile hike up a forest road, nearly level hike.
* Penland School of Crafts - I like to call it the "Juliard" of craft arts. Its located between Burnsville and Spruce Pine, and has drawn many artists to the area. We may have the largest concentration of craft artists in the Eastern US.
* Numerous Craft Studios scattered throughout the area
* Mount Mitchell State Park - and home of four of the top ten mountain peaks in the US, including Mount Mitchell which is the highest peak East of the Rockies.
* Lynnville Falls - a popular tourist destination
* Mast General Store
* Roan Mountain State Park - popular for its hundreds of acres of bald mountain covered in pink flowering native Rhododendrons. The Rhododendron festival is generally in late June at the town of Bakersville.
* Lake Lure near Black Mountain, wonderful mountain lake with high-end mountain homes and estates
* Lake James near Marion, boating and fishing, public access
* Chimney Rock, now publicly owned, a natural wonder and great hiking spot.
* Black Mountain, a town renowned for its small shops and restuarants, great place to spend an afternoon.
Within 30-50 miles
* Asheville - One of the "happiest" towns in America, a true mountain town with a lively art culture.
* Biltmore Estate - The largest private residence in America built by George Vanderbuilt, and now open for tours, one of the premier tourist destinations in the East.
* Blowing Rock, a wonderful mountain retreat with great shopping.
* Wolf Laurel Ski Resort
* Grandfather Mountain - biosphere and privately owned park (open to public). Excellent hiking, wildlife park, etc.
* Beech Mountain Ski Resort
* Sugar Mountain Ski Resort