4 people maximum. $1450/wk.
Spacious well-appointed, comfy, shabby chic, ground-floor garden condo with San Carlos Bay view. Read our reviews please. WE ARE BY CHOICE NOT LOCATED ON THE BEACH, WE ARE LOCATED ON THE QUIETER BAY. We are a 2nd home of an 88-year-old who prefers not to 'upgrade,' so we are discounted 25% below market rate for a 2-3/2 non-Gulf condo.
Our extended Bay boardwalk and private fishing pier are just steps from our lanai. Experience peaceful views of dolphins, pelicans, manatees and passing boats. Cast your lines for good fishing off our pier.
ONE MILE BIKE RIDE TO DEEDED GULF BEACH ACCESS PATH; 2 mile drive or bike ride to closest Lighthouse Public Beach. Many public beach accesses with parking but you do need to consider $3/hr. parking fee at on-island beach parking lots. We do not have beach chairs, maybe a little beach equipment people leave behind. There are also 2 Causeway Parks nearby on San Carlos Bay, where parking is free. This is where one can drive, walk or bike quickly to see the sunset.
Mariner Pointe, located on a peninsula, is perfect for quiet, long walks and is safely connected to the island-wide bike paths. The Bay boardwalk winds around to a canal and boats slips (reservable with additional footage charges). Quiet; easy on-and-off island. Heated pool, tennis courts, shuffleboard courts and grills are outside our front entrance.
The John Matthews Baileys:
John (1922-2000) grew up in Sanibel 1922-50, middle son of island pioneers Annie Mead Matthews (1886-1935) and Frank Price Bailey (1873-1952)--founder of Bailey's in 1899--, grandson of island pioneers Mary White Beers Bailey (1833-1913), Harriet Collins Wood Matthews (1856-1950) and William John Matthews (1856-1927), nephew of Charlotta Ann Matthews (1890-1984)--owner/operators of The Matthews from 1905 or so, known since 1937 as The Island Inn.
Sarah Ruth Wedekind Bailey's parents owned The Gulf View Inn on Captiva from 1948-1962, now known as the Mucky Duck. Sarah and John met in Captiva and Sanibel in 1948 and were the first couple to be married in Little Chapel by the Sea, June 3, 1950.
In 1961, Sarah and John established Needmore Land & Cattle Company, a 70-acre horse and cattle operation in NW St. Johns County, FL.
Clark Bailey has managed NLC since 1985, where he gives horseback riding lessons, board horses and raises Cracker Cattle. Today Clark co-sponsors an autism horse therapy program, serves as Boy Scout Leader for his two sons' troup, is on the board of the Florida Museum of Agriculture and a member of the Mormon Church.
Angela Bailey is the bookkeeper/tax preparator/property manager for 5 commercial, 3 residential rental properties. She is a writer researching Bailey, Matthews & Wedekind family history on rare trips to Sanibel, and is chronically restoring a 1904 heart-pine home near downtown Jacksonville.
“Sarah and John spent their many holidays since 1950 staying with family and friends. In the 1990s they started rented more than 15 homes and condos prior to Sarah selecting Mariner Pointe as their ideal second home. Dubbed 'Bayview,' for its dining room view, reflected in the mirrored living room wall, Sarah's condo name is also a tribute to a family vacation home in Bayview, Petosky, Michigan. Annual Bailey family gatherings in Sanibel since 1996 include Fourth of July and October's Bailey Fest, when Clark has driven John Bailey's mules, Emmer and Anner in parades since 1995; plus sometimes we visit during Thanksgiving, Christmas, island family birthdays and special events. Sarah's niece and Angela and Clark's first cousin Mead Johnson and her husband Richard Johnson now own and operate Sanibel Packing Company d/b/a Bailey's General Store, where their 3 children are now the 4th generation of Baileys to work there.”
SANIBEL ISLAND LIGHT Location: POINT YBEL, EASTERLY END OF SANIBEL ISLAND, AND THE WESTERLY SIDE OF THE ENTRANCE TO SAN CARLOS BAY AND THE PORT OF PUNTA RASA
Station Established: 1884
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1885
Automated: Yes, 1949
Foundation Materials: Iron pile
Construction Materials: Iron
Tower Shape: Square, pyramidal, skeleton, iron framework, inclosing stair-cylinder and surmounted by lantern; all brown. Two white dwellings near tower.
Relationship to Other Structure: Separate
Original Lens: Third Order, Fresnel, 1884
Characteristic: Fixed white varied by a white flash every 2 minutes (1901)
•1880 – Lighthouse Board approves building of the lighthouse.
•1883 – Lighthouse reservation established on Dec. 9th.
•1923 – Kerosene lanterns upgraded to acetylene gas.
•1949 – U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service assume responsibility for the lighthouse and the out buildings.
•1952 – TV antenna added to tower.
•1962 – Lighthouse is electrified.
•1974 – Keepers quarters and light tower placed on National Registry of Historic Places.
•Dudley Richardson (Head Keeper 1884-1892)
•John Johnson (Asst. Keeper 1884 – 1888)
•Henry Shanahan (Asst. Keeper 1888-1892)
•Henry Shanahan (Head Keeper 1892 - 1913)
•Eugene Shanahan (Henry’s son – Head Keeper 1913 - unknown)
•Clarence Rutland (Henry Shanahan’s stepson – Asst. Keeper 1936 – 1941)
•William Robert England, Jr. (Coast Guard, 1946-1949).
Researched and written by Marie Vincent, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society.
Stop by the Ding Darling National Wildlife Refuge and the Sanibel-Captiva Conservation Foundation Visitor Centers to see their excellent educational films and exhibits. Drive or pedal along the Ding Darling Trail to see our amazing abundance of bird life or a sunning gator. Canoeing, kayaking or sunset boat tours are available year-round at the Tarpon Bay Ding Darling Center.
The Bailey-Matthews Shell Museum, the Sanibel Historical Village and Museum, the fine Sanibel Library, the Island Cinema at Bailey's General Store and the Pirate Playhouse are among popular attractions.
Fine dining and varied shopping is available to fit all budgets (there are even a Goodwill and thrift stores). Free local papers with full activity listings are available at Bailey's General Store and other grocers.
Public beach parking lots on Sanibel and Captiva charge $3/per hour. Near both public boat launch, Sanibel Marina, east-end shops and restaurants.
|Rate Period||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
Jan 19 2015 - Apr 30 2015
7 night minimum stay
May 1 2015 - Dec 20 2015
7 night minimum stay
* Approximate monthly rate. Actual rate will depend on the days of the month you stay.
Payment is usually accepted in the quoted currency (USD) unless the currency and the amount is specifically agreed in advance with the owner / advertiser.
We only use checks per majority owner. PO Box is used, 1st deposit, $250, serves as security deposit later, refundable upon successful departure. After rental check clears, we email you lockbox code for doorkey + all details.
SPECIAL Thru 11/22/14: $800/week all incl. + $250 sec.dep. = $1050 total. 5 maximum including children of any age.
12/1-20/14, 1/3-15/15, 3/9-4/30/15: $1600/week all incl. + $250 sec.dep. = $1850 in advance. 5 maximum including children of any age.
Soon to change: but for now: All paid in advance by check to our PO Box. We require a minimum of 5 business days to process your check.