House, 2 Bedrooms, 2 Baths, 4 Sleeps
Casa Caballito is a charming 200-year old Spanish Colonial home ideally suited to one or two couples seeking old world charm and modern comforts. We provide two free bikes with which to explore Merida.
Located in one of the most desirable neighborhoods in Centro Historico, Casa Caballito is positioned on a quiet non-bus street just three blocks north of Santiago Park.
The Merida English Language Library is little more than a block away and the festivities of the main square, Santa Ana's arts district and Paseo Montejo's twin mansions and sophisticated dining scene are all within an easy walk through the best part of town.
This architect-designed home is a stunning blend of Spanish Colonial charm and modern, open-plan comfort. The house features 18-foot wood beamed ceilings, original pasta floor tiles, a tranquil high-walled courtyard with limestone feature wall, and a fabulous, contemporary open-plan second-story living room and terrace that's the perfect place to spend cocktail hour.
The ground floor king bedroom, off the courtyard, has an ensuite bathroom with barrel ceilings, high-pressure rain shower, and 3 foot-long soaking tub with window that openes to the courtyard and plunge pool.
The upstairs bedroom (also with king bed) features an ensuite bathroom with high-pressure rain shower, and a walk-in closet. The ingenious design means the house stays cool with little effort. Both bedrooms are air-conditioned and all rooms throughout the house have ceiling fans.
The lounge/living area upstairs features banquette-style built-in sofas that can seat six people, with plenty of room to spread out for couples. A flat screen television with Cablemas TV (including a good selection of English language channels), DVD player, iPod dock and high-speed wireless internet are all included.
The kitchen has a six-burner stove, full size fridge, microwave oven and dishwasher (a rarity for Merida) and comes fully equipped with a six-person dinner setting, quality wine glasses, cookware, flatware, juice squeezer and French press coffee maker. The pantry is stocked with kitchen basics making shopping at Santiago markets and eating in a delight. In the dining room an extension table can accommodate six people with ease and floor to ceiling sliding glass doors give a year round alfresco feel.
Casa Caballito is the ideal Merida retreat for one or two couples, offering complete privacy, luxury and comfort along with all the classic historic charm in the perfect location.
About the Owner
1 traveler review
The house itself is fun to look at with some great windows, doors and colors.
Unfortunately, the internet did not work the entire time we were there which made working while my family was sightseeing, virtually impossible.
Adam, the owner and Sylvia, the property manager, were both very easy to get ahold of both prior to our trip and during our time there.
Casa Caballito has very high walls which tends to eliminate the need for mosquito nets. This year was unusually wet and we have therefore decided to fumigate the house on a regular basis to prevent any further problems.
Activity and Interests
Shop for the hottest chili peppers on the planet at Santiago market or, come evening, join the locals for some old-fashioned big band dancing in the square.
Stroll across to Paseo Montejo (Merida's answer to the Champs-Élysées) and marvel at the twin mansions built by jealous brothers.
Dine on sophisticated modern Yucatecan cuisine at boutique hotel Rosas y Xocolate then get rowdy in the new Irish Pub, Hennessy's.
Soak up the atmosphere of the nightly concerts in the main square.
Buy a piñata in the shape of your favorite superhero or a Mexican wrestling mask depicting your favorite alter ego.
Embark on a house and garden tour of other grand properties through the Merida English Language Library. Take a day trip to Chichen Itza, Ek' Balam or Uxmal to see the magnificent ruins of great cities built by the Mayan people.
Learn to cook local specialties at Los Dos cooking school, or visit the neighborhood markets and load up on fresh produce, local meats and hand-made tortillas to whip up a Mexican feast at home.
|Rate Period||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
Jan 6 2015 - Mar 31 2015
4 night minimum stay
Off Peak 2015
Apr 1 2015 - Oct 31 2015
4 night minimum stay
* Approximate monthly rate. Actual rate will depend on the days of the month you stay.
Payment is usually accepted in the quoted currency (USD) unless the currency and the amount is specifically agreed in advance with the owner / advertiser.
Additional information about rental rates
- Refundable damage deposit $500
To secure the booking a 50% non refundable deposit on the rental fee is required.
On check in the remaining 50%is required as well as a $500 US security deposit.
On check out the security deposit is returned.
Electricity in Mexico is preposterously expensive. We include up to $50 US of electricity in every booking. We kindly ask that guests pay for any overage and use the air conditioners only when needed.
- Air Conditioning ...
- Internet ...
- Linens Provided
- Living Room
- Towels Provided
- Washing Machine
- Coffee Maker
- Dishes & Utensils
- Dining Area
- DVD Player
- Stereo ...
- Video Library
Pool / Spa
- Private Pool ...
- Long-term Renters Welcome
- pets not allowed
- 200 m²
- 2 Bathrooms
- Bathroom 1 - toilet, shower
- Bathroom 2 - toilet, tub, shower, small 3-foot soaking tub
- 2 Bedrooms, Sleeps 4
- Bedroom 1 - 1 king, ensuite bathroom, walk-in closet, fan and air-conditioning
- Bedroom 2 - 2 twin/ single, fan, air-conditioning
- Bicycles ...
- Deck / Patio ...
- Guests provide their own meals
- * The two bedrooms are furnished with king-size beds, air conditioning, ceiling fans and can accommodate a maximum of two couples. * Each ensuite bathroom comes equipped with a high-pressure rain shower (one with additional hip-bath) and 'garden view' shower. * The spacious lounge can accommodate 6-8 people. The entertainment center includes a 42 inch wide screen TV, Cablemas TV, DVD player, iPod dock and free Wi-Fi. * Fully equipped kitchen with toaster, microwave, dishwasher, eight place settings, quality flatware, crockery, wine glasses, chefs knives, cutting boards, pots, pans oven trays and tupperware. * Dining room and bedroom open onto tranquil courtyard. * Upstairs roof terrace opens up to lounge and overlooks courtyard. * Stylish combination of comfortable mid-century modern and antique Yucatecan furniture. * Maid service provided once a week. * Prepaid cellular telephone is provided for the use of guests. * Laundry with washing machine also provided for the guests convenience. No smoking or pets please. Unfortunately, due to the height of the staircase, this property is unsuitable for children.