Cottage, 2 Bedrooms, 1 Bath, Sleeps 5
Secluded, woodland cottage, beautiful in all seasons (see Photos1, taken 25Nov2012, and 16) 3 miles east of Bemus Point, Chautauqua Lake, in western New York State.
Property is located on 100 acres of century-old sugar maple-hemlock forest along creek & ridges with spectacular spring and summer foliage (see photo 16), fall colors (see Photo 8) and winter snows (see Photo 10).
1 BR (one queen-size bed in master bedroom) (see Photo 2) and a loft with two double beds (see Photo 3).
Cool in summer with shaded deck, room air conditioner. exhaust fan, and ceiling fans.
Warm and cozy in fall and winter with stone fireplace (firewood provided) (see Photo 9), oil furnace (forced air).
Full kitchen (no dishwasher) (see Photo 5). Full laundry. Linens, silverware, dishes, cooking utensils, towels provided.
TV, Direct TV satellite service, VCR, and DVD. See calendar at right for availability.
A great, cozy getaway!
About the Owner
My father, Albertus W. Rappole, bought the property in 1929 when he was 19, with help from his Grandmother, Velona Rappole. He and his father built the original single-room cabin in that year, using materials from the old Columbia Inn in Bemus Point, which had belonged to his Grandfather Rappole. The 160 acres was mostly pasture at the time. My two brothers, Robert and Bert, and myself were deeded the property from my parents in 1964. Both Robert and Bert lived in the cottage at various times in the 1970s and 1980s, expanding the original seasonal cabin into a cottage with all the normal amenities of a modern home. My wife, Bonnie, and I bought out my brothers' shares of the cottage and surrounding property in 1996. Having lived away from New York (Texas, Georgia, Minnesota, Virginia, etc.) for 40 years, we had planned to retire back to Chautauqua County, and live in the cottage. However, that plan would not have allowed our three children and their families space to visit. So we purchased a home in Jamestown, and kept the cottage available for their use. We rent it to others when they are not visiting.
5 based on 18 traveler reviews
A great, cozy getaway!
A Lovely Slice of Heaven!
Home away from home!
They left us a bottle of tasty local wine with a wonderful havarti cheese with dill (my new favorite) as well as coffee for the morning. We took Bonnie's advice on visiting some of the local wineries (Noble and Johnson) and stopped to view lake Erie which is amazing! I have to say that most of time i just wanted to sit in front of the fireplace and enjoy the serenity of the moment with a glass of wine.
From the trails to the stocked pond it didn't even matter to us that it did rain all week it's a perfect place that i fell in love with the moment we arrived! We've already booked two more weeks this year and will be returning year after year as long as they will have us!
I would definitely recommend this to friends and family!
Thank you so much Bonnie and John!
Nice to Be Back
Amazing Cottage with Amazing Hosts
The cabin was nice and cozy and very clean for being a cabin. The fireplace was great to sit and relax by. They provided everything you need to make you stay enjoyable. There is even a washer and dryer if you want to do some laundry before you head home.
The land and pond were great. There is plenty of hiking trails that are real easy to walk on. My one piece of advice would to wear hiking boots/shoes or an old pair of sneakers. Some of the trails were a little wet but still hikable. I saw a couple small mouth bass and plenty of blue gil in the pond if your kids want to go fishing. There was also a rope swing and zipline there too.
The location is perfect. It is out in the woods, but real easy to find. But it is close enough to everything else to make it very convienent.
Thank You Bonnie and John for an amazing vacation. It was just want I needed. We will definetly be back next year.
Everything we hoped for and more!
From the Owner
“My family's association with this place goes back 95 years. My brothers and sisters and I grew up visiting it on weekends and summers, as did other members of our extended family and many friends, including my wife. We have lived in many different parts of the country and abroad since, but we always hoped we would be able to make it back to the county and the cottage on retirement.”
Activity and Interests
Snowboarding and Downhill Skiing - Peek'n Peek - 45 min; Holiday Valley - 60 min; Kissing Bridge - 60 min
Roger Tory Peterson Institute - birdwatcher's mecca; spectacular art and natural history exhibits - 10 min;
Chautauqua Institution - summer center for arts, education, religion, and recreation - 12 min;
Lilydale Spiritual Center (20 min);
Jackson Center (15 Min);
Lucy-Desi Museum (15 min);
Chautauqua Lake - Boating, fishing, swimming - 3 min.
Cross-country Skiing, Skate-Skiing, Telemarking - Two miles of trails on-site; hundreds of miles of trails at state parks (Long Point - 5 min; Allegany - 50 min), state lands, rails-to-trails, and famous Wilderness Lodge (30 min) -beautifully-groomed trails with challenging slopes suitable for skate-skiing and telemarking.
Midway Amusement Park - 5 min; Allegany State Park - 50 min;
Niagara Falls - 105 min; Long Point State Park - 5 min;
Seneca-Allegany Casino - 50 min;
State Parks - Long Point State Park - 5 min; Lake Erie State Park - 30 min; Allegany State Park - 45 min
Chautauqua Wine Trail - 20 min;
Southern Tier Brewery - 20 min;
Ice skating - rink open all year for public skating in Jamestown; hockey weekends Sep-Mar;
minor league baseball (Jamestown Jammers).
Whitewater canoeing- Cattaraugus Creek - 30 min; Letchwork State Park - 2 hr, 12 min
Hot Air Balloon Rides - Skysail Balloon Company provides rides over Chautauqua Lake and the region.
Major Transportation Hubs: Buffalo - 60 min; Buffalo Airport - 75 min; Erie, PA - 45 min; Jamestown Airport - 10 min; Interstate 86 interchange (Exit 10) - 5 min; Interstate 90 interchanges (Exits 59 Fredonia/Dunkirk and 60 Westfield) 30 min.
|Rate Period||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
My Standard Rate
3 night minimum stay
* Approximate monthly rate. Actual rate will depend on the days of the month you stay.
Payment is usually accepted in the quoted currency (USD) unless the currency and the amount is specifically agreed in advance with the owner / advertiser.
Additional information about rental rates
- Refundable damage deposit $100.00
- Tax Rate 5.0%
Weekly Rate: $800
Monthly Rate: $3,000
$3,000/month; $800 for 4-7 nights ($3,000/month); $450 for 1-3 nights; plus county occupancy tax (5%); must be 25 or older to rent; no smoking permitted. Weekly rental only June-Oct.
We request a non-refundable $100 payment by credit card on booking for each week (or portion thereof) requested to hold the reservation, with the remainder due on check-in.
From the Owner
“The cottage sits on a hemlock-wooded ridge overlooking Bemus Creek (the 'Bonny Brook'). There are about 2 miles of hiking trails through the surrounding 160 acres (including 60 acres of my brother, Robert, and his wife, Barb's property. Most of the land is covered with maple-beech-hemlock forest with a rich variety of birds, mammals, and other wildlife, including deer, turkeys, coyotes, and bears. Eight species of birds come regularly to the feeders, summer and winter, and three species of squirrels - including Northern Flying Squirrels at night (the feeder is lighted). The pond is stocked with fish, and has two rope swings for adventurous bathers. Chautauqua County weather definitely provides four seasons, and Bonny Brook Cottage is a wonderful place to observe and enjoy each of them in an extraordinary setting; cool in summer, cozy in fall, winter, and spring.”
- Away From It All
- Sports & Activities
- Tourist Attractions
- Air Conditioning ...
- Clothes Dryer
- Fireplace ...
- Hair Dryer
- Heating ...
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided ...
- Living Room ...
- Telephone ...
- Towels Provided ...
- Washing Machine
- Coffee Maker
- Dishes & Utensils
- Kitchen ...
- Pantry Items
- Dining ...
- Dining Area
- Books ...
- DVD Player ...
- Games ...
- Music Library ...
- Satellite / Cable ...
- Television ...
- Toys ...
- Video Library ...
Pool / Spa
- Hot Tub ...
- Minimum Age Limit for Renters ...
- children welcome ...
- non smoking only ...
- pets considered ...
- wheelchair accessible ...
- Water View
- autumn foliage
- coin laundry
- live theater
- winery tours
- bird watching
- eco tourism
- gambling casinos
- horseback riding
- paddle boating
- scenic drives
- sight seeing
Local Services & Businesses
- fitness center
- massage therapist
- medical services
Sports & Adventure Activities
- fly fishing
- hunting small game
- 1000 sq. ft.
- 1 Bathroom
- Bathroom 1
- The bathroom is large with a double sink and full wall mirror. There is a tub/shower and commode and two windows; one looking out onto the lawn and the other into the woods.
- 2 Bedrooms, Sleeps 5
- Bedroom 2 - 2 double, 1 sleep sofa /futon, Loft has 2 double beds, 2 end tables, and 2 reading lamps
- Bedroom 1 - 1 queen, queen bed, 2 bureaus, 2 tables with reading lamps, fan
- The master bedroom has a single, queen-size bed. It has two picture windows, one of which looks out into the woods while the other looks onto the deck and woods beyond. There are two doors; one opening into the living room and one opening out onto the deck.
- Deck / Patio ...
- Kayak / Canoe ...
- Lawn / Garden ...
- Outdoor Grill ...
- Guests provide their own meals
- Stone Fireplace and Hearth (see Photo 9) - for cozy relaxation on rainy or snowy days and evenings. Firewood provided Spectacular views and walks in all seasons - Two miles of trails on 100 acres of property - spring peepers, fire flies, garden flowers, wild flowers, gorgeous fall foliage (see Photo 8) & winter snows (see Photo 10) . Satellite TV - HD Direct TV for football, hockey, basketball, movies, etc.; VCR; DVD players. Sirius - X M Radio Hot tub (see Photo 6). Gas grill and Weber charcoal grill (charcoal and electric lighter supplied); Trails - 2 miles of hiking/x-c skiing trails (see photos 13, 14) along creek and ridges on property (see Photo 8). Hunting - deer, grouse, bear, turkey, squirrel hunting (no rifle) on 100 acres of property for renters only in season. Stocked Feeders Squirrels, chickadees, nuthatches, woodpeckers, blue jays, etc. Stocked Pond 1/4 acre pond with dock (see photo 12), rope swings, fountain aerator - suitable for bathing and sunning (see Photo 7); pond is stocked with sunfish, blue guill, perch, and large mouth bass. Fire pit - fire pit with chairs by pond for evening cookouts; Large lawn with lawn games provided (croquet, bocce ball, badminton) (see photo 15); Sandbox - 15' x 15' clean sandbox with toys - covered when not in use; Large deck overlooking Bemus Creek with picnic table, lounge chairs and tables, awning (see Photo 6)