A Comfortable Camping Experience In The Wilderness For The Whole Family
Our Days Available calendars are updated every morning. Please check our main website (links are above the 'Photos' section near the bottom of this page) for more details and images of our three beautiful and unique vacation rentals.
Anasazi Glamping Cabin is located within the only twenty mile long gated box canyon in the Chama Wilderness. The cabin includes a completely equipped and carpeted kitchen, living room, and dining area under a 20x30 foot roof. The cabin has cold running spring water, table, chairs, cooking stove, refrigerator, pots, pans, tableware, propane barbecue, and fire pit bowl.
The rental is located on the site of an early 1900s homestead and is one of three vacation rentals we have in the canyon, with Ranch Wilderness Casita and Remote Wilderness Casita.
Unique at your camp site is a 1,000 gallon soaking pool nestled inside an earthen and rock open-air water storage area which was originally built by the ancient Anasazi Indians, with a breathtaking view of the canyon's 1,700-foot red sand stone walls. The pool is fed with continuously flowing cool spring water.
Gallina Canyon Ranch has been featured in many national and regional magazines, including New Mexico magazine, The Santa Fean, Better Homes and Gardens, Sunset, and Martha Stewart Living.
On rare days when heavy rain makes the road too muddy to travel, we will take you to the camp and leave with you our mud-friendly truck with tire chains for emergency use.
The specially designed protected play area for your children is at the ranch. You may walk or drive. At the ranch is the community swimming pond, inflatable kayaks, floating trampoline, Slither (a 17-foot water park floating snake on which children can sit, stand, and walk), floating arm chairs, boogie board, and a sand box with children's toys. The Gallina River runs right by this area where children love to play in the mud. We supply towels. Not far from the pond is the ranch playground with swings, rotating teeter totter, jungle gym, horizontal bar, hanging merry-go-round, donkey cart, pioneer wagon, grape arbor, and chairs. WiFi is available in these areas.
o) The camper includes king, queen, one single bed.
o) A hot water shower.
o) Solar powered lighting.
o) Medium size, 8 cubic feet refrigerator / freezer.
o) The fresh spring water is excellent for drinking. (There is no need for you to bring water.)
o) There is plenty of table space for preparing and eating meals.
o) Comfortable chairs.
o) Wood fires are allowed in the fire pit bowls; we provide firewood.
o) The kitchen is fully equipped, including salt, pepper, sugar, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and herbs.
o) Two coffee makers: drip and percolator, with coffee filters.
o) Linen, including sheets, duvet, blankets, pillows with cases, wash cloths, bath and beach towels.
o) Eggs and produce from our organic garden when available.
o) We require a signed waiver from each person when you arrive. Please read the waiver before booking the rental. Please see our main web site (link below).
o) Camp fires in the fire pit bowls only.
o) No hunting.
o) Please let us know before you arrive that you are bringing a dog.
o) Due to the possible allergies of future guests, dogs are not allowed in the camper.
o) When you bring your dog to the main ranch area, it must be on a leash.
o) If possible, please plan to arrive by 1:00 PM.
o) Check-out time is 11 AM.
o) Prior to your arrival you will wish to shop for all of your food, drink, and snacks for your entire stay.
o) Radios and cellular telephones do not work in the canyon.
o) If you plan on swimming in the soaking tank or ranch pond, please bring a bathing suit.
o) The camp site is a zero impact area. It is important to us that you use the existing cow trails when hiking.
o) More pictures of Gallina Canyon Ranch are available on our More Images web page.
Please check our availability calendar before emailing. Tax is included in the rates. Our cancellation policy: More than 60 days prior to check in: 100% refund. 60 days to 30: 100% minus $25 cancel fee. Less than 30 days of check in: no refund. Guests may change the reserve dates 60 days or more prior to check in.
Getting away from everything
About the Owner
Elizabeth is originally from the San Francisco Bay Area. Andrew is from Grand Rapids Michigan. In 1977 we bought the homestead complete with cows. We grew specialty organic produce for restaurants in Santa Fe, Taos, and Albuquerque for fifteen years.
David is from the Los Angeles area. He came to the ranch in 2002. He is our caretaker, and webmaster.
The ranch is featured in many magazines, such as Martha Stewart, Better Homes and Gardens, Sunset, Gourmet, Saveur, Country Home, Bon Appetit, Wine Spectator, Horticulture, Countryside, Country Living Gardener, Santa Fe Wine and Chile Fiesta, Rocky Mountain Gardening, New Mexico, The Santa Fean, Santa Fe Reporter, The Good Cook, Exotic Beans, Southwest Passages, Fine Cooking, Denver Post, Los Angeles Times, and New York Times.
One of us will check you in and out. If you need anything during your stay, feel free to ask any one of us.
Guestbook comments from the owner
Elizabeth and Andrew own perhaps the most beautiful ranch in New Mexico, deep in the Chama River Wilderness. They own two small casitas that they rent out to working writers who are seeking extreme remoteness, natural beauty, peace and quiet to work.
5 based on 38 traveler reviews
Getting away from everything
Most relaxing weekend
I took my teenage son for a weekend father/son trip and we were rewarded beyond our expectations at this wonderful location.
Other reviewers have described the particular details about the accommodations, which are wonderful, but I want to emphasize the renewing spirit embodied at this location.
All too often 'vacation' means crowded campgrounds, traffic, and high costs for activities that are quickly forgotten. Ranch Casita is the antithesis of that sort of vacation. It is remote, quiet and an immense value for the experience.
15 miles from pavement and light years away from the cares and troubles of the world. My son and I will return, many times, as I have found 'my spot'! The place I will go when I need to hit the reset button.
Again, Andrew and Elizabeth, thank you for your generosity. This was truly a wonderful experience.
Fantastic and unique place to stay
Truly, unbelievably fantastic
Delightfully rustic getaway, in a gourmet way!
Beautiful. Remote. Simple.
From the Owner
“We chose this ranch because the beauty and the seclusion of this canyon is unique; it is like having our own mini Grand Canyon--- the same Northern New Mexico beauty that awed and inspired the artist Georgia O'Keeffe.”
Activity and Interests
Campers at our family camps may walk or drive one mile to children's paradise: our community pond (see Entertainment section above).
Attractions of the area include: The Monastery of Christ in the Desert, the Continental Divide Trail, Echo Amphitheater, Ghost Ranch's paleontology museum, Abiquiu Lake where one may swim and fish, the Santo Tomas de Abiquiu Catholic Native American Indian Mission, and the Dar al-Islam mosque at Abiquiu.
One may take a one-hour tour of Ms. O'Keeffe's house in Abiquiu through the Georgia O'Keeffe Foundation. There is also the Abiquiu Inn with a café and gift store. A day's outing may include lunch at Rancho de Chimayó Restaurante, a visit to the world-famous El Santuario de Chimayo, and a stop at the weaving shops of the Ortega and Trujillo families. Dar al-Islam is noteworthy for, among other things, the only vaulted ceiling made from adobe brick in the United States.
|Rate Period||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event|
My Standard Rate
2 night minimum stay
|Notes: Rates are based on 2 guests; add $10 per night, per additional guest|
Payment is usually accepted in the quoted currency (USD) unless the currency and the amount is specifically agreed in advance with the owner / advertiser.
Additional information about rental rates
Tax is already included in the above rates.
From the Owner
“Family Camp includes for your summer enjoyment a 1,000 gallon soaking pool that is continuously fed from a fresh water spring, and includes a table and chairs for use inside the pool. The overflow from the tank attracts a many species of birds, which makes the pool area a bird watcher's dream. The pool is nestled inside an earthen and rock 1900s homestead open-air water storage tank. You may build a fire in the fire pit bowl provided here. Mosquitoes are not a problem in Gallina Canyon. With a spectacular view during the day and awe-inspiring panorama of stars at night, the pool area is a great place to enjoy the sights and sound of the canyon. Bring a star map and toast marshmallows we provide over the fire pit bowl, then lay back in the provided 'gravity chairs' and watch for meteors streaking across the velvet black sky. The glamping cabin is the perfect wilderness experience for two families to camp together , corporate get-together, and group camping.”
- Away From It All
- Sports & Activities
- Fireplace ...
- Internet ...
- Linens Provided ...
- Parking ...
- Towels Provided
- Coffee Maker ...
- Dishes & Utensils ...
- Kitchen ...
- Refrigerator ...
- Stove ...
- Toaster ...
- Dining ...
- Dining Area
- Toys ...
Pool / Spa
- Communal Pool ...
- Outdoor Pool
- Private Pool ...
- Events Allowed
- Long-term Renters Welcome
- Minimum Age Limit for Renters ...
- children welcome
- non smoking only
- pets considered
- wheelchair inaccessible
- Mountain View
- bird watching
- sight seeing
Sports & Adventure Activities
- mountain climbing
- 800 sq. ft.
- 2 Bathrooms
- Coleman Outhouse - toilet, shower, Hot water shower, two-seater toilet.
- Cabela Outhouse - toilet, shower, Cold water shower, one-seater toilet.
- 2 Bedrooms, Sleeps 8
- Coleman Camper - 1 king, 1 queen, 1 twin/ single, The dining space converts into the single bed.
- Cabela - 1 queen, 2 twin/ single
- Kayak / Canoe ...
- Outdoor Grill ...
- Guests provide their own meals
- Linens Provided : 100% cotton sheets, down comforter with duvet cover, hypoallergenic pillows, Memory Foam pillows, extra blankets, sheets, and pillow cases. Also bath towels, wash cloths, large beach towels. There is plenty of space to park right in front of Casita, just a few feet from the large deck. The sleeping deck has two twin beds, with two night stands with drawers, table and chairs. The provided wedge pillows allow guests to sit up in bed and take in the spectacular 200-degree-wide view of the magnificent canyon walls. The sleeping deck includes a Celestron 21061 AstroMaster 70 AZ Refractor Telescope. Our Queen-size bed is accessible from both sides; night stands are next to the bed. Full Kitchen : Paper towels, napkins, Ziploc bags, foil / Saran Wrap, French coffee press, hand coffee bean grinder, stove top bread toaster, two burner propane stove, plates, bowls, eating utensils, drinking glasses, cocktail glasses, ice bucket, cutting board, chopping knives. There is no oven in Casita. The kitchen contains salt, pepper, sugar, extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and various seasonings. Cooking Utensils : Chef-quality Revere Proline copper-bottom stainless steel pots and pans with lids; two non-stick frying pans. All common silverware and cooking utensils are provided. Refrigerator : Refrigerator with top freezer and ice cube trays. A glass carafe is also inside the refrigerator to hold drinking water from our Artesian spring. Deck/Patio : Includes outdoor table and chairs, two lounge chairs, umbrella, outside cabinet for rain gear, and a convenient bench to sit when taking off shoes. Weber propane BBQ with utensils on Casita's deck. Mountain View : Gallina Canyon Ranch is like a private Bryce Canyon, or like Sedona, Arizona. Stunning 2,000 foot tall red sandstone cliffs throughout a 20 mile long canyon populated with Ponderosa Pines, Pinion Pines and Cedars. Water View : Casita is a leasurly one mile walk from Rio Chama. Located on the bank of the river we have placed a table and chairs for your use. Wireless Broadband : Limited internet at the ranch is available via our satellite dish. Due to limited range, WiFi is not directly available inside Casita, but may be accessed at the grape arbor, outside kitchen, swimming pond, and sleeping deck. Telephone : Cellular telephones do not work in the canyon. Guests who need to make important phone calls can arrange with us to drive you a short distance out of the canyon to use our special telephone.