VacationRentals.com is part of the HomeAway family, the world leader in vacation rentals with over 1 million listings. We offer the largest selection of properties for any travel occasion and every budget. We're committed to helping families and friends find a perfect vacation rental to create unforgettable travel experiences together.
We celebrated our wedding at the property over the course of four days with full catering.
The place, beautiful. The historical cachet. The woods.
The proximity to Paris airport.
The flexibility of the owner in letting us organize our wedding the way we wanted with a hands off approach.
Talking seriously from the point of view of a hospitality business: inexperienced owner lacking a true client focus *
Cheap furniture, no uniform design
Overall a feeling that the property is underinvested and not yet ready for full commercial exploitation
1) When asked whether there are enough sundecks (chaises longues) at the swimming pool - given we had a party of 44 people over for the weekend - we were told only 2 chaises tongues are available at the property, and been suggested to buy some at the local store (the reply to my question took about 7 days over WhatsApp and came 2 days before our arrival). Upon our arrival we saw at the swimming pool: 20 white plastic chairs of different designs, 2 working chaise longues and 1 broken one. This looked to me very cheap overall.
2) Just behind the wedding ceremony location, there was still white plastic chairs and tables lying randomly leftover from another wedding. I had to move them personally, with my brother, two hours before my own wedding, so that the plastic furniture would not stand in the pictures of the ceremony.
3) In the master bedroom of my wife and myself there was no proper dresser available upon our arrival. We had to hang her wedding dress at another location.
4) It was 35°c and there was no A/C and not enough air fans for all the rooms (we had 24 rooms in total, including some with small children). We were suggested to help find air fans at the local store. On the second day the owner got enough fans for everybody.
5) The cleaning personnel refused to use the cleaning robot at the swimming pool on Saturday, which was especially welcome after a summer storm the past night. The given reason was that the personnel do not work on weekends. We had to come to an arrangement.
6) Yellow lawn in summer due to poor irrigation system.
7) The castle has little outside decorative lights. We had to rent our own for the wedding. Those of the swimming pool do not work.
Conclusion: overall I felt that the historical "cachet" of the place was masking a real lack of investment in both the furniture and the infrastructure itself. Overall, a DIY feeling which is not justified by the price.
We stayed at this property for five weeks during July and August 2017. For most of the time we were just me and my wife, but we were joined for days by various members of our family and by the end of our stay both our son and daughter and our five grandchildren joined us. To sum up very briefly - all of us loved the house and the property and whether alone or in company it provided a most wonderful base for our stay in Burgundy.
The house is very big, with many rooms on two floors, a beautiful secluded garden, and a most wonderful swimming pool. The house gives a feeling of a well lived in home. It is full with various furniture and equipment. You will find there all you might think you need, In particular the kitchen is very well equipped with all your cooking and dining needs. Some of the equipment is well used, but if you need something fixed the lovely caretakers Paul and Shealagh will attend to it.
Paul and Shealagh merit a special thanks for being always helpful. discreet and available and for helping with naintaining the pool and taking care of all our needs,
We cannot recoment the house enaugh as a secluded and beautiful base for a wonderful stay in Burgundy. Two small caveats - if you stay for more than a few days, you most certainly will want a car. As in much of rural France, the WiFi and the mobile reception leave much to be desired.