VacationRentals.com is part of the HomeAway family, the world leader in vacation rentals with over 1 million listings. We offer the largest selection of properties for any travel occasion and every budget. We're committed to helping families and friends find a perfect vacation rental to create unforgettable travel experiences together.
Many positives. Lots of amenities, more than the typical cottage rental in Canadian Martines or Maine. A rare thing to find a rural cottage with good cell service, wifi, and large TV with working cable channels ( We like technology ). Even WiFi in the little "Boathouse". Also very rare to find a rental that permits indoor wood fire (wood stove) and large outdoor masonry fire pit, and generous supply of dry firewood. All this, and pet-friendly too, also a rarity. Very comfortable inside the large living room, large kitchen. Bathroom adequate. Bedrooms adequate . Unique outdoor party small by cottage and at beach house. Very nice to have 2+ acres of backyard for privacy. Beautiful sea-side hiking trails 5 minute drive nearby.
A several things that need to be corrected on the VRBO listing. First, although advertised as oceanfront property, technically it is not. The cottage waterfront is actually a shallow , tidal back bay, that twice a day (low tide) is completely drained of water, and certainly no waves or walkable beach anytime. You can hear ocean waves crashing in the distance at high tide, but you can't actually see and access the ocean without a short walk to the end of the causeway (50 yards ). Yes, a very pretty drive down the unique causeway to access the cottage, with water all around, so lots of water views, but no real walking beaches (unless you like rocks and seaweed ).
Secondly, comments about the beds and sleeping capacity. VRBO listing says two bedrooms with "queen" beds. They are not queens. By U.S. measurements, they are "full". One of the boathouse beds listed as "queen" mattress as well. It is not. Boathouse has two small beds that are really cots with thin mattresses. One of those beds might potentially hold two small adults, but there is a metal frame pole running down its middle, which even for one person may render this un-sleepable. Because no sink or bathroom in the boathouse, and with these cots, boathouse probably should not be included in the "sleeps eight" rating in VRBO, even if kind of romantic. Plenty of indoor and outdoor party space on this property, but for comfortable sleeping ( and considering only one bathroom running off a shallow well ) I'd rate the property for four adults.
Still, a good experience, for relaxing peace and quiet. DCU
We had four couples and two children, 6 and 3, for the week we rented this property on the water near Halifax and Dartmouth. It is very spacious and well built. I do get the impression, though, that it's still a work in progress. The owner, Jeff, was extremely accommodating, although I did not have much need to contact him. There are a few issues that if the property and our stay had not been so perfect otherwise, I might have knocked down a star. Those issues (which I'm sure Jeff will address) include:
1. It was not clear which of the toys we could use. For example, it was clear the surfboards and contents of the boiler room were off limits. However, there were a canoe and SUPs that I did not know if we could use. I could have called or texted Jeff, but didn't since we just did other things.
2. The outside shower did not work at all. Perhaps we did something incorrectly.
3. The dishwasher didn't work very well.
4. A big issue for us was that the "shower" for the three upstairs bedrooms was not really a shower. It did have a shower head attached to the bathtub, but no enclosure of any kind. It sufficed, barely. We only used one of the upstairs bedrooms. There were en suite baths in the two main level bedrooms and one of the lower level bedrooms (although the lower level bedroom was inside, dark, and not very well appointed). Actually, the couple who used that room were very happy with it!
5. There should be more furniture in the master bedroom (main level, beach side). Some chairs and perhaps a dresser would be nice. However the two huge walk in closets with shelves sufficed for our clothes, a couple of benches for our suitcases and chairs to sit on would have been nice. Also, there could be better lighting and some more functional towel racks in the master bath near the steam shower. Instructions on how to operate the steam shower would also have been helpful.
6. We very much enjoyed the game rooms with pool table (very high quality, btw) and ping pong. I strongly recommend a over-table light for the pool table, though. The existing lighting is really not sufficient for night play, although we made due. Also, the pool cues are starting to warp. We shared the one that was straight.
We loved the place and the time together there. We considered the drive to the beach and surrounding sights very easy. Additionally, the neighbors are delightful. Thanks, Jeff! Let us know if you end up addressing any of these issues.