Estate, 8 Bedrooms + Other (See Description), 8.5 Baths, (Sleeps 16)
Romantic, historic George Washington Smith gated and private 2 acre Estate with pool, spa, tennis court, located in the heart of Montecito, a seaside village that has seduced moguls, magnates and movie stars for over a hundred years.
Ravenscroft pays homage to the grandeur of its natural setting with a timeless elegance that is truly captivating, for it is not only seen with the eye, but also felt with the heart.
The Estate is located in one of the most prestigious areas in Montecito, amongst the large and old grand estates of its same historic pedigree, directly adjacent the 34 acre Lotus Land, providing a private and serene setting, while being less than 3 miles to the beach.
It has been immaculately restored and renovated to meet the exacting needs of modern life while staying true to the purity of its renowned architect George Washington Smith.
Smith is synonymous with classic Santa Barbara architecture and in 1922 he designed Ravenscroft, a magical and timeless work of art that has been held in high esteem and published often as a local architectural marvel. It is one of a handful, and arguably the most well preserved, of original classically designed Santa Barbara Estates still in existence. The Four Seasons Biltmore was built by the same architect with the same design and materials, as was the Ogilvy house which is just a few doors down and Casa Del Hererro, a museum available for tour.
Within this classic Estate are sweeping lawns, colorful gardens, intimate outdoor terraces and majestic gates. The main residence is trimmed with elegant hand tooled wrought iron gates, doors and windows and provides 5 bedrooms and 5 1/2 baths. The 52 foot long grand living room was built at Peggy Ravenscroft request, simulating a London stage, and is the heart of Ravenscroft, with a large roaring fireplace that Peggy's horse used to sit in front of, a baby grand piano and wrought iron/glass doors and windows that lead to the interior courtyard and feeds the master staircase, dining room, bedroom wing and library/office. In the office/library are a fireplace, desk and secret door with passage to the wine cellar with fireplace and tasting room. The tasting room has a full bed in front of the fireplace with view of the rock wine cellar.
There is also a 52 foot long garden room with live vines that have grown over the ceiling and beams since the 1920's, along with original wrought iron/glass doors that were hand crafted on site during construction of Ravenscroft, and lead out into the garden, pool and tennis court area. In this garden room are a 50' flat screen, queen size pull out couch, fireplace and large dining area.
The large and bright kitchen is one of the most magical places in Ravenscroft, with the original preserved GWS white tile, floor to ceiling, that is complimented with an updated butlers pantry that remains as it was originally built in the 1920's, a sitting area with fireplace, original wrought iron/glass windows and doors that lead to interior courtyards and all the modern conveniences such as La Cornue stove, Sub-Zero refrigerator and two dishwashers.
The theatre room includes professional theatre seats for 9 and is a great place for the family or kids to enjoy.
The 800 square feet guest house features a large and bright living room with pull out couch, 1 king bedroom, 2 full bathrooms and a fully equipped charming kitchen. The large great room, with 50' flat screen, has an expansive ceiling, with the original architectural beams exposed coupled with wide wood plank floors. The kitchen and bathrooms all have the original GWS white tiles, covering floor to ceiling, and original fixtures, doors and hardware.
The cozy 'Abigail Cottage' is a restored charming small 1 BR/1BA guest cottage surrounded by fruit orchard, expansive lawns and hen house.
The sparkling pool, spa and north/south tennis court complete the magnificent estate. Also, within this private and magical Estate are a Garden Lath house and Japanese Green House that were built in 1934.
The work out room offers 2 step machines, free weights, univeral machines and a ping pong table. There are also 2 bikes available.
Staying at Ravenscroft is like stepping back in time, into Santa Barbara's history and you can just imagine Charlie Chaplin, Cary Grant or Audrey Hepburn around the corner. There is no other property available like this one in Santa Barbara.
HISTORICAL HIGHLIGHTS: Published 'California Romantica” by author Diane Keaton
- 'You discovered Ravenscroft, ONE OF OUR FAVORITE HOMES in Montecito. Do you know the history of the design of the living room and its enormous fireplace? Yes, it was designed so that the horses could come in and get warmed by the fire. In particular, Mrs. Ravencroft’s favorite horse, Jack.' 'Did you know the design of the living room was taken from a popular London stage production of the era. According to David Myrick’s account in his two-volume “Montecito And Santa Barbara,” Marguerite (Peggy) Doe Courtney, who later married Henry Ravenscroft – hence the name of the home – asked Smith to design a living room that duplicated the stage set of the play, which is why the living room is 52 feet long.'
- 'That says a lot about George Washington Smith: that he was a game guy; that he took on the owners’ ideas and wasn’t afraid of them and didn’t feel that it was encroaching on his genius. It’s an act of generosity on his part and, because of that, his work is probably the most prevalent in this book and it’s the most unusual and most diverse. He wasn’t afraid of a new idea. THAT WAS ONE OF MY FAVORITE HOMES.'
- 'Did you happen to see the lathe house on the Ravenscroft property that, according to Harry Kolb, was where the first commercially grown orchids on the Central Coast were grown? I love that I saw it [in its decayed state] and caught it right before they began the restoration. I’m a preservationist, as you know, and I feel the beauty shines forth no matter what state these homes are in. You mustn’t be afraid of them. When you see the beauty OF THIS PARTICULAR HOME, it’s so astonishing. I just fell in love with it.'
Keywords: Luxury Santa Barbara Private and Gated Historic Estate with pool, spa and tennis court -rare for a vacation rental, less than 2 miles to the Beach
Splendid for the whole family!
About the Owner
5 based on 10 traveler reviews
Splendid for the whole family!
We had a fantastic famiy reunion celebrating our dad's 80th birthday. We ranged in age from 7 years old to 80 and there was something for everyone. We thoroughly enjoyed the beautiful gardens and the gorgeous estate. There is no need to leave the Ravenscroft Estate because there is so much to do. My neice enjoyed finding fresh eggs every morning in the chicken coop, we all loved swimming in the pool, relaxing in the jacuzzi and playing family tennis. The lawn was perfect for bocce ball. We watched family movies in the theater, played ping pong, rode bikes and went hiking. There are so many lovely gardens to choose from to just sit and read a book or listen to the birds chirping. The kitchen was well equiped with gorgeous appliances which made it a joy to cook family meals. It was truly hard to leave and we all hope to be able to return soon.
Heaven on earth
This is the finest house we have ever rented or had access to.
The owner is beyond gracious and helpful.
The grounds are spectacular.
There are so many priceless trees here you are just in amazement .
The house is a historic trove yet comfortable and decorated perfectly.
My wife and I are already planning when we can come back and if we can lengthen our next stay.
Frankly experiences like this are never forgotten.
All information on this house is highly accurate.
The truth is the amazing pictures hardly give you the full beauty of staying here.
A magical setting for memories
Ravenscroft is appointed with such thoughtful detail. Photos do not do it justice. Melanie and Todd clearly have thought of all the comforts and luxuries to allow for relaxation, fun and creating memories. The kitchen is enviable. And there are so many picturesque places to relax and have a meal or just a glass of wine. From the sitting area near the outdoor fireplace to the indescribable room with vines on the ceilings. With a tennis court, pool and gorgeous gardens, you never have to leave Ravenscroft for a perfect holiday. It is really a magical place.
Our family spent Labor Day weekend at the Ravenscroft Estate and it was the most pleasant family trips we've experienced. The estate is filled with history and the amenities gave us plenty to do and enjoy.
We had a fabulous week away at Ravenscroft over Easter. We were 2 families from Los Angeles with young children.
Todd and Melanie were fabulous to work with during the booking and organization phase. When we arrived on Easter Sunday afternoon, they had stocked the fridge and cupboards with the groceries we requested and also left a lovely spread of wine, cheese and cake for us.
The photos on the website of course look fabulous but almost don't do this amazing and historic property justice. It is in one of the most prime Montecito locations - right next to Lotus Land (which is also a must see!).
We had 2 nannys with us during the week who had great accommodations in the 2 bedroom plus living area guest cottage. The grounds are absolutely amazing and a real highlight were the fireside dinners and smores we cooked over the wood burning outdoor fireplace.
A great experience and thanks to Todd and Melanie for being great to work with.
The Qunitessential Montecito Experience....Feels like the Santa Barbara Biltmore
With great care, the owners have meticulously restored this beautiful 1922 G.W. Smith property, carefully maintaining the original integrity, and it feels as if you've stepped back in time. The house and grounds have a luxurious vintage feel and yet, despite the "old world grandeur", it is extremely warm and comfortable. Whether exploring the property or sitting by one of the many fireplaces, our family from young to old (4-88) loved our stay, and I would certainly recommend this property to a friend or relative.
Activity and Interests
- The Beach is less than 2 miles away.
- Downtown Santa Barbara is 5 miles away.
- Santa Ynez wineries are 45 miles away for which there are several services that provide day trips from limos to jeeps
- Lotus Land is steps away
- Casa De Herrera is within 2 miles
|Rate Period||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event|
My Standard Rate
3 night minimum stay
Additional information about rental rates
Inquire for weekly stays stays and stays longer than 3 days which depend on season and length of stay.
High season rates apply for Key Holidays, Spring Break and Graduation weeks.
Pricing for occupancy up to 10. Surcharge in rate for parties larger than 10.
50% of the rent, tax, cleaning fee & damage security deposit are required to confirm a reservation with the remaining 50% due 60 days before check-in.
Standard method of payment is checks & direct deposits at any Bank of America Branch.
Credit card payment via PayPal and bank wire transfers are also accepted but in these cases the 4% PayPal fee & $25/wire transfer fees are applied.
Cancellation policy - deposit is subject to loss, excluding the damage security deposit, unless re-rented for that time period.
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- Available arrival
- Available stay (no arrival)
- Away From It All
- Tourist Attractions
- Air Conditioning
- Clothes Dryer
- Fireplace ...
- Fitness Room / Equipment ...
- Gas Fireplace ...
- Hair Dryer
- Internet ...
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided
- Living Room
- Parking ...
- Towels Provided
- Washing Machine
- Wireless Internet ...
- Wood Fireplace ...
- Catering Available ...
- Coffee Maker ...
- Cooking Utensils
- Dishes & Utensils
- Ice Maker
- Pantry Items ...
- Child's Highchair
- Dining ...
- Dining Area
- DVD Player
- Ping Pong Table
- Satellite / Cable ...
- Television ...
- Video Library ...
Pool / Spa
- Hot Tub
- Private Pool
- Private Chef
- children welcome
- non smoking only
- botanical garden
- health/beauty spa
- live theater
- theme parks
- winery tours
- bird watching
- gambling casinos
- horseback riding
- outlet shopping
- scenic drives
- sight seeing
- whale watching
Local Services & Businesses
- fitness center
- massage therapist
- medical services
Sports & Adventure Activities
- basketball court
- deepsea fishing
- equestrian events
- hot air ballooning
- mountain biking
- mountain climbing
- pier fishing
- rock climbing
- scuba diving or snorkeling
- sound/bay fishing
- 10000 sq. ft.
- Bathroom 1 - toilet, shower, jetted tub, One of two bathrooms off the master
- Bathroom 2 - toilet, combination tub/shower, shower, One of two bathrooms in the Master Suite
- Bathroom 3 - toilet, combination tub/shower, shower, In the main house accompanying the queen bedroom
- Bathroom 4 - toilet, combination tub/shower, shower, In the main house accompanying the queen bedroom
- Bathroom 5 - toilet, combination tub/shower, shower, In the main house accompanying the queen bedroom
- Bathroom 6 - toilet, combination tub/shower, shower, In the guest house
- Bathroom 7 - toilet, combination tub/shower, In the guest house
- Bathroom 8 - toilet, shower, In Abigail Cottage
- Bathroom 9 - toilet, In the main house
- 8 Bedrooms, Sleeps 18
- Bedroom 1 - 1 king, 2 twin/ single, Master Bedroom with twin trundle bed in the sitting area
- Bedroom 2 - 1 queen, In the main house on the ground floor
- Bedroom 3 - 1 queen, In the main house on the ground floor
- Bedroom 4 - 1 queen, In the main house on the ground floor
- Bedroom 6 - 1 king, 1 sleep sofa /futon, Guest House with pull out couch in the grand living room
- Bedroom 7 - 1 twin/ single, In Abigail Cottage
- Bedroom 5 - 1 double, Wine room in front of fireplace with wine cellar view
- Bedroom 8 - 1 sleep sofa /futon, In the Garden Room is a queen size pull out couch
- King size beds (2), Queen size Beds (4) 1 of the Queen beds are European Queen which is slightly smaller than US Queen. Twin Beds (3) There is a twin bed in the Abigail Cottage and a twin trundle bed in the sitting area of the Master Bedroom. Pull out couches (2) There are also 2 pull out couches: one in the main house garden room and one in the guest house grand living room.
- Bicycles ...
- Deck / Patio
- Lawn / Garden
- Outdoor Grill
- Tennis ...
- Guests provide their own meals
Learn more about this vacation rental at the owner's website
- Ravenscroft also offers a work out room with 2 step machines, free weights and weight machines that include a universal, bench press and smith machine. In this room is also ping pong table. There there are 2 bikes available., tennis rackets, floating matts for the pool. There is also a baby grand piano. Daily maid service is available for weekly stays at the rate of $495 for the week.