House, 1 Bedroom, 1 Bath, (Sleeps 2)
About kathleen Baker
Salvatore Rombi viticulturist, winemaker and Kathy Baker (official taster) were both born and raised on the Monterey Peninsula and Carmel Valley. We know the area intimately and enjoy sharing it and love all it has to offer. We began the process of developing the vineyard in 1994. The Winery was completed in 2007 and the first commercial release of the Rombi Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot was the 2006 vintage. The Merlot won a Silver in the Los Angeles Wine and Spirits Competition. The process has been challenging, exciting and rewarding. It is wonderful to see it come to life. In 2012 we opened the Rombi Wine Tasting Room in the Carmel Valley Village. It is open on Saturdays and Sundays noon to 5. Sal (winemaker) works the tasting room on the weekends. Sal owns Carmel Valley Realty Company and has been in the real estate business since 1972. He also is the vineyard manager and winemaker. Kathy was an executive with a radio broadcast group in California for over 25 years and now owns a marketing and consulting company. We have rented houses for years in Italy and France and understand the amenities and accruements we enjoy and will respect guest's privacy. The cottage is yours during your stay.
kathleen Baker purchased this House in 1985
Why kathleen Baker chose Carmel Valley
Unique wine country living but close enough to everything the Monterey Peninsula has to offer.
What makes this House unique
Walk in the vineyard, hiking and taste world class wine! Quiet peaceful setting with all the modern conveniences you will need.
Check-in: 3:00 PM
Check-out: 11:00 AM
Children not allowed
not suitable for children
Minimum age of primary renter:21
100% refund if canceled at least 60 days before arrival date. 50% refund if canceled at least 30 days before arrival date.
Vacation in a working vineyard
I have been to numerous tours on how wine is processed from grape to bottle, but staying in a working vineyard and observing winemaker Sal Rombi tending to his grapes was really fascinating. Sal was also very receptive in answering all of our many questions. The kitchen window overlooked the vineyard and it was such a pleasure to cook dinner and sip the delicious Cabernet from the very grapes that were grown there. The cottage has an extensive book and dvd collection. The sunsets from our deck were magnificent. It was a very nice 49th wedding anniversary get a way.
Thank you so much Irene. We are so thrilled you enjoyed staying on the vineyard and enjoying are wine! We hope you return one day. Enjoyed meeting you both!
Wonderful private retreat
Exactly what we needed. A couple days of quiet and rest and this property nailed it. Kathy was a wonderful host and the private wine tour was amazing. Rombi wine is a real treat. Dinners in Carmel Valley was about 25 min drive.
Wonderful property with the best views in the valley.
I hope to return next summer
I am so glad you enjoyed it! Sal and I enjoyed meeting you and so excited you enjoyed the wine! Thank you again! Hope to see you next year!
Leave your worries at home
This was an excellent retreat tucked away in the Carmel valley ridges. The vineyard and views were stunning. The hosts were very gracious. It’s a bit far away from town but was you’re there it’s paradise.
Thank you so much Elle and Derick. It was such a pleasure to have you stay here and to meet you! We hope to see you again! Thank you for enjoying our property!
We stayed at the cottage for 4 nights in June 2019 on a trip to the region for our one year wedding anniversary. Kathy and Sal were perfect hosts in every respect. Our visit started with a complimentary wine tasting with Sal at the Rombi Tasting Room in Carmel Valley Village. They gave us a tour of the property, helpful recommendations for attractions and dining, and chatted when we saw them on our way to/from the cottage, but we’re not at all intrusive. The cottage and property were private and quiet. Everything was better than advertised - terrace with breathtaking views (the same goes for literally anywhere on the property), BBQ grill, fully stocked kitchen and bath, awesome pool and lounge area which we had to ourselves, and an impressive library of books and VHS tapes (with a working VCR!) are just a few of the highlights. Perfect, sunny, 80-degree weather the entire time didn’t hurt either. The property was centrally located for all the area attractions we visited: wineries in Soledad to the east and Carmel Valley Village, Carmel-By-The-Sea, Monterey, and Big Sur to the west. If you find yourself anywhere near the Carmel Valley area, I highly recommend staying with Kathy and Sal!
Leave your worries behind
Our goal of getting off the grid was met in staying at Kathy and Sal’s guest cottage. From the moment we submitted our requested dates, Kathy immediately responded and made sure we had all the information we needed for a carefree, relaxing visit. The kitchen has all amenities needed to cook gourmet meals. The bed was extremely comfortable and offers breathtaking views of the valley.
Kathy and Sal are very kind and welcoming. They gave us the experience of owning a winery. When we approached Sal in the vineyard with questions about the grapes, he made us feel as if we could spend the day with him.
If you are hoping to explore and experience the Carmel Valley, Carmel, Monterey, Pacific Grove and Big Sur, with a wonderful host, book a stay with Kathy and Sal.
Thank you so much for this terrific review. We loved meeting you and hope you will come back. Thank you so much!!!!
We can’t say enough about how perfect this place is. Kathy and Sal are incredibly gracious hosts, the cottage is lovely - spotless and so comfortable - and the 360-degree views are absolutely beautiful. We loved the winding highland drive to the property, and the hike Kathy recommended with its even more dramatic, sweeping views of the hills and of their vineyard and two others. We’d definitely stay here again, and would highly recommend it without question. It truly is a special experience. And when you go, don’t miss trying their delicious wines, too!
Carmel Valley Restaurants and Wine Tasting
• Café Rustica is a favorite in the Carmel Valley Village. Inside and outside dining with a nice menu.
• A new favorite addition to the Village is Roux. We have had great lunches there. Try the deviled eggs! I know it sounds strange but they are so good. Small plates are great!!! I would make reservations.
• Corkscrew Café for lunch or dinner in the Carmel Valley Village. One of our favorite lunch spots. It is on the right past Kasey's and the Chevron station as you are leaving the village. Outside Patio is a must. Open until 4pm for lunch. Georis Winery owns it and the tasting room is across the street. I love their Rose.
• Wills Fargo in the Carmel Valley Village. Been there for 50 years. Steak house with lots of Carmel Valley ambience. Good bar menu and outdoor seating.
Carmel Valley Restaurants and Wine Tasting
• Los Laureles Lodge for dinner. Good main menu and bar menu. Lots of Carmel Valley charm. On the right as you head to Carmel before you get to Bernardus.
• Bernardus Lodge has just opened a new restaurant called Lucia. It is really great! Try the $20 pizza. It is outstanding. Open for lunch and dinner but I would recommend reservations for lunch or dinner. It is really really good. You can sit outside for lunch or inside. For dinner sit in the really comfortable new white chairs. We have loved it each time we have gone . Just re-opened in April. The chef Cal who has been there for years has stayed in the cottage!
• There is a little place called Kathy’s Corner (no relation) that has really good Mexican food. Sometimes we get it to go because the place is really small. It is right on Carmel Valley Road in the village across from Wills Fargo Restaurant.
• You will receive Complimentary tastings at our tasting room. Your host and winemaker Salvatore Rombi works the tasting room on Saturdays and Sundays from noon to 5. We are only open on these days.
• There are 21 Tasting rooms in the village and each one has their own unique specialty. It is always fun to taste wines made from individuals and not large corporations. Here are just some of our Carmel Valley Favorites!
Carmel Valley Restaurants and Wine Tasting
• All of these are in the Carmel Valley Village, We have a map in the cottage.
• Boekenoogan Wine Tasting Room, Great Pinot and Chardonnay. John Boekenoogan is at his tasting room most Saturdays. Great guy and wine! Nice people
• Georis Tasting Room, Walter Georis is an amazing talent. He owns some terrific restaurants and is a wonderful artist. And, he produces the best Rose. Try his Les Abeilles. Good wine and great packaging!
• Parsonage Tasting Room, Their Vineyard is just past the village. They produce some very good red wines.
• Joyce, nice people and good local wine.
• Mercy, they produce some nice whites
• Twisted Roots, see if he has any sparkling wine left. It was very good. His other wines are good as well.
• Cowgirl, not a big fan of the wines but fun tasting room.
• Chesbro, Good wines
• Heller and Joullian are what you see from your deck. They both produce some good wines
• Holman Tasting Room, Nice people. Say hi to Duncan! Owners of Holman Ranch and Wills Fargo Restaurant.