2600sf early Seattle home. Lovingly renovated and landscaped. Quiet and secluded
Our early-Seattle homestead property is carved into a rare half-acre hillside lot in a quiet country-like setting with few neighbors and very little traffic. Built in 1915, the 2600 square foot residence has been lovingly updated with modern amenities while maintaining its original character and charm. A city greenbelt surrounds the home in a protected wildlife area only minutes from the heart of the city, the famous Seattle waterfront, the professional sports stadiums and West Seattle’s crowded Alki Beach. This uniquely classic Seattle home and its extraordinary landscaped grounds is a destination property in its own right and an experience like no other.
Every room has a unique feel and the many large windows throughout the house provide wrap-around views of the greenery outside while flooding the house with soft, natural light. Swing open the doors and windows to let the outside in and you’ll be drawn to explore the beautifully landscaped grounds highlighted by a multi-level waterfall and reflection pond. The surrounding rock garden, bamboo stands, and grape arbor add to the beauty of the natural setting and offer a lush backdrop for your outdoor events and activities.
Eclectic collections of keepsakes grace the interior of the residence. In addition to a personalized letter signed by John F Kennedy and 60’s era rock & roll memorabilia, you will find a photo gallery of early Seattle scenes, an old-time gramophone, our grandparents’ antique wedding portrait, and other collectibles from our many travels. The distinctive collection gives the home a personal touch much appreciated by our guests.
This vacation rental has hosted many wedding rehearsal dinners and post wedding brunches, family and friend reunions, photo shoots, and film crews. Our guests have included movie directors, producers and actors, Greenpeace “kayak –tivists”, conference attendees and internationally known professional gamers. It has also been an onsite location for two documentary films. But first and foremost, it’s been a home away from home for many, many families, good friends and work associates who want to spend their time together.
Our property is listed exclusively on the safe and secure Homeaway/VRBO website. As owners, we take great pride in personally serving our guests and want to ensure you will be comfortable and satisfied during your stay. Your welcome greeting upon arrival includes a brief introduction to the property and an opportunity for us to answer any outstanding questions you may have about the home, nearby commercial areas and the many amenities Seattle has to offer.
We maintain a separate basement apartment on the property where we spend a portion of our time. We completely respect your privacy and you will rarely, if ever see us during your visit although we are only a phone call away. As with any well-maintained property, during the summer months, you may occasionally find our gardening staff or us tending to the garden in an effort to keep it looking its best. We try to accomplish this when you are away from the home.
In addition to being readily available for any needs that may arise during your stay, should you decide to pre-order groceries online (amazon.fresh.com or safeway.com) for delivery prior to your arrival, we will be happy to accept your delivery and stock your refrigerator/freezer with your items.
Detailed description of the home:
Four bedrooms offer comfortable sleeping accommodations for up to eight people with three bedrooms on the upper floor and one on the main floor:
• The light and airy master bedroom, located on the upper level with a treetop view of the city, features an antique armoire, an electric fireplace heater and a memory foam queen sized bed (sleeps two). There is adequate floor space to add a rollaway or portable infant crib, which are both available upon request.
• The kid’s bedroom, located on the upper level is for the children in all of us. Equipped with a set of bunk beds (sleeps two), this room also has a cozy “Harry Potter” (named by a guest) space where young children like to play, read and dream. The room features it’s own large stuffed elephant, an elephant painting and an easel and chalkboard for those who wish to express their creativity.
• Located at the far end of the upstairs hallway, is a small but private bedroom with a double bed (sleeps two). It features antique pocket windows that open directly onto the peaceful and soothing sound of the waterfall. You will be intrigued by the original closet and dressing space in this room.
• The main floor bedroom holds the same comfortable ambiance found in the home’s other living spaces. It features surround windows and a privacy screen of natural trees, giving the feeling of being one with nature. This unique room is a favorite with our guests. It has one queen bed (sleeps two) and room for a rollaway if you are willing to share the “Bird’s Nest” experience!
• We care about saving elephants and each year a part of our proceeds is donated to the World Wildlife Fund to protect endangered elephants in Africa where 96 of them are slaughtered each day for the sale of their ivory. You will find elephants of all sizes and materials throughout the home, but particularly in the “Quiet Room” at the end of the upstairs hallway. The room is a tribute to our life-long appreciation of the giant beasts.
• The spacious and well-equipped gourmet kitchen features stainless steel appliances, a Bertazzoni gas range, Calphalon pots and pans, and all of the usual amenities of home. (Dinnerware includes service for twelve). There is ample space to gather around the counter for pleasant conversation while feeding the kids in the open and airy breakfast nook. French doors to both the side deck and the backyard patio offer a variety of summer dining and relaxing alternatives for your group.
• Our all-natural linens are professionally laundered and pressed just for you. All duvet covers and bath towels are freshly changed between each guest visit. Bath amenities, soaps, and an initial supply of TP, paper towels and garbage bags are supplied.
• The living room sectional sofa seats eight people comfortably. There is more intimate conversational seating in front of the cozy stone fireplace, on rocking chairs in the enclosed front porch, or gazing at the water feature from the comfy sofa in the quiet den/office.
• Wireless Internet access is provided as well as a TV with network channels, Apple TV and a DVD player located in the main living room. Feel free to bring your own movies or video games to enhance your family time or enjoy our many available puzzles and box games.
• Wildlife abounds in the neighborhood and recent sightings include blue herons, bald eagles, hawks, coyotes, raccoons, squirrels, woodpeckers, blue jays, and a resident barred owl!
• The residence is a short walk to a landmark viewpoint where you will be delighted by the beautiful city skyline, the distant Cascade mountain range and the snow-covered splendor of Mount Rainier.
• While the house is super conveniently located, we recommend our guests have a car to take in all of the in-town, ocean and mountain adventures. Unlike most property rentals in the area, you will have convenient off-street parking for up to three cars with additional private parking upon request.
• The house is located a short walk from a major downtown bus line or you may want to try the nearby water taxi for a pleasant boat ride to explore the waterfront, shop at the Pike Place Market, or take in a Mariner, Seahawk, or Sounder game.
• Please note. There are a number of stairs leading to the main entrance of the home. If members of your party have physical challenges, please let us know in advance so we can help plan for the best accommodations.
• While we love family pets, we are sensitive to future guests who may have pet allergies, so no furry friends are welcome at this time.
• Non-family groups wishing to rent the property must all be 25 years or older.
We’ve worked hard to create a very special place for our guests in this very special setting. We are sure your experience will leave you with pleasant memories of your stay. We look forward to seeing you soon.
Janelle and Max
About the Owner
We love the richness of our lives and it is reflected in our family values and independent ideas. Max is a native of Seattle while I am from San Francisco but came to Seattle twenty five years ago, where the two of us met and joined forces to raise a wonderful extended family of four children. With the children grown and four beautiful grandchildren to enjoy on weekends, we decided to “simplify” our lives so we could pursue other pursuits - like business adventures in Africa! Never a dull moment! We look forward to meeting you.
Guestbook comments from the owner
This place is very comfortable for large groups and we loved the serene back yard. We would love to stay here again if we make it back to this city.
(41 traveler reviews)
Perfect home away from home! The house and grounds are truly wonderful!
Comfortable, spacious, peaceful, room for an elegant dinner, or casual cookout for friends and family. Downtown is a quick Uber ride away! Average Uber cost for two or three $12. Large vehicle for six $25 to downtown. Short walking distance to observation point for city view of space needle, parks and more.
We did rent a vehicle as suggested for trips to store etc.
Tastefully decorated very comfortable furniture inside and out!
Unlike many houses this home has several private nooks inside and out to just relax and enjoy peaceful alone time if there with a group. Our favorite spot is under the arbor on the upper tier in the garden!
Outside, the garden waterfall, little pond, patio and deck areas are perfect!
Our stay was for our son's wedding. Staying in the house we had six adult family members.
Advance approval from Janelle and Max allowed us to host the rehearsal dinner at the house. The chef loved the kitchen and also used the outside gas grill. The Fridge was perfect to store large platters etc.
Again, the flow of this property is perfect for any kind of stay and our wedding group loved it!
Special moments included entertainment by baby bunnies playing on a garden path!
Janelle and Max do live on the grounds. Don't let that deter you! We found them to be very discreet (you will not see them unless you need them). We wanted to get to know them and enjoyed learning the history of the house and area. They are genuinely warm, friendly people. Thoughtful planning and years of hard work turned the property into the amazing place you will remember for years to come! Looking forward to our next stay
Bride and Bridesmaids Stayed Together
This house was perfect for our needs. It was completely stocked and felt like we were staying at a family place where all of the nice things aren't put away for rentals. Garden and waterfall is a special treat. Owner was close by and helpful. Even though the place was clise to everything and in a convenient place to access freeways it was so secluded and green and quiet. Nice experience here!
We have wonderful memories of our family get together in this home. It's better in person and we can't wait to go back.
Great location and property
We really enjoyed this home - great character and wonderful location! Quiet but close to downtown and a wonderful beach community. It made our stay in Seattle enjoyable and convenient.
This review is WAY overdue...we actually spent Thanksgiving 2014 there, and I'm only now catching up on my reviews on VRBO. This home is wonderfully perfect with one of the most amazing views you can imagine - the Sound and Mt. Ranier. It's extremely spacious, right on the beach, with a jacuzzi...perfect, perfect, perfect.
From the Owner
“We purchased this property because of its serene and private qualities and its potential to one day reflect our true lifestyle and character. After many years of loving toil, today it is everything we dreamed of and more. Its close, convenient proximity to downtown, while hidden in the trees overlooking Elliott Bay, this in-city retreat exudes the true ambiance of Seattle. There isn’t a friend or stranger who has stayed here, who doesn’t feel relaxed and rejuvenated by its warmth and natural style.”
Activity and Interests
Walking distance to Alki beach and minutes from the amenities of downtown Seattle, including the world-famous Space Needle, Pike Place Market, public ferry system and diverse Seattle waterfront, where activities abound. Downtown Seattle can be accessed via car, bus or convenient water taxi.
Only 15 minutes north of SEATAC airport and on a local Metro bus route. You can have it all from here....
|Rate Period||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event|
Dec 16 2016 - Jan 2 2017
7 night minimum stay
|Notes: Rates are based on 6 guests; add $40 per night, per additional guest|
My Standard Rate
3 night minimum stay
|Notes: Rates are based on 6 guests; add $40 per night, per additional guest|
Additional information about rental rates
|Property Damage Protection||$79|
|Cleaning||$150 + Tax|
$100 fee will be charged for cancellations until thirty days before check-in date. No refunds within thirty days of check-in.
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- Available arrival
- Available stay (no arrival)
From the Owner
“After a long day of upscale shopping, boating, taking in the many Seattle attractions, or attending a professional sports event, you can return to the serenity of your private oasis. Cook dinner in your gourmet kitchen and dine on the patio or formal dining room. Enjoy the lights of the city skyline as you reflect on the day from the cozy sitting porch before retiring for the night to the sound of your own waterfall. Wrap yourself in the morning sights and sounds of the birds and outdoor wildlife alongside the natural-style water feature before you start your day all over again. There is a lot of space for everyone including a reading room, a game room and a large living room with stone fireplace for those rainy Seattle nights.”
- Away From It All
- Tourist Attractions
- Ceiling Fans
- Clothes Dryer ...
- Fireplace ...
- Gas Fireplace
- Heating ...
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided ...
- Parking ...
- Parking Off Street ...
- Security System
- Towels Provided
- Washing Machine ...
- Wireless Internet
- Coffee Maker ...
- Cooking Utensils ...
- Dishwasher ...
- Garbage Disposal
- Gourmet Kitchen
- Ice Maker
- Kitchen ...
- Refrigerator ...
- Stove ...
- Child's Highchair
- Dining ...
- Dining Room
- Books ...
- DVD Player
- Games ...
- Satellite / Cable
- Video Library
- Events Allowed
- Long-term Renters Welcome
- Minimum Age Limit for Renters ...
- children welcome ...
- non smoking only ...
- pets not allowed ...
- wheelchair inaccessible ...
- botanical garden
- health/beauty spa
- live theater
- rain forests
- recreation center
- winery tours
- bird watching
- outlet shopping
- scenic drives
- sight seeing
- whale watching
- wildlife viewing
Local Services & Businesses
- fitness center
- massage therapist
- medical services
Sports & Adventure Activities
- deepsea fishing
- freshwater fishing
- mountain biking
- mountain climbing
- pier fishing
- scuba diving or snorkeling
- sound/bay fishing
- 2600 sq. ft.
- Bathroom 1 - toilet, combination tub/shower
- Bathroom 2 - toilet, shower
- A full bathroom is located on each level. A soak in the home’s original claw-foot bathtub while listening to the soothing sounds of our outside waterfall is a perfect way to wind down after a long day on your feet. Showers are available in both bathrooms.
- 4 Bedrooms, Sleeps 8
- Bedroom 1 - 1 queen, Sleeps 2. Can accommodate rollaway or portable crib
- Bedroom 4 - 1 queen, Sleeps 2. Can accommodate rollaway or portable crib
- Bedroom 3 - 2 twin/ single, bunk beds sleep 2. Space for a rollaway.
- Bedroom 2 - 1 double, Sleeps 2.
- Up to 2 rollaway beds are available upon request. Please plan your sleeping arrangements based on the number of available beds. For hygienic reasons we prohibit sleeping on our couches.
- Deck / Patio ...
- Deck Furniture
- Fully Fenced Property
- Gazebo ...
- Lawn / Garden
- Outdoor Furniture
- Outdoor Grill
- Outdoor Grill Gas
- Porch Furniture
- Wood Deck
- 10 garden chairs
- Guests provide their own meals
- For our guests enjoyment, the lush backyard is highlighted by a beautiful waterfall flowing into a large pond and adjoining patio. Note: While it appears to be a natural playground, we require adult supervision at all times while young children are enjoying the backyard.