Centrally located 2 story, 4 BR, 2 Bath historic cottage near the beach.
About Bill Hancock
This property has been in my family for many years. In the past we have shared this cottage with friends and family as a weekend getaway. We now offer our home as a vacation rental. Our family has always enjoyed the Coastal life. Fishing is one of our favorite things to do and we still enjoy it today.
Bill Hancock purchased this Cottage in 1974
Why Bill Hancock chose Gulfport
This property has been in our family for years. Our children and grand-children have many fond memories of times spent in this place. They look forward to using this place as their get-a-away. As it has been quoted, 'If you are lucky enough to live by the sea, you are lucky enough!'
What makes this Cottage unique
The beach lifestyle is so accessible here. Everything is within walking distance or bike riding distance. No cars necessary to enjoy the sandy beaches or fishing piers. It is centrally located to the unique shops in Bay Saint Louis and Ocean Springs. There are so many festivals and events to experience; such as the fishing rodeo's. There is nothing like seeing the gamefish brought in daily during the Mississippi Deep Sea Fishing Rodeo, held annually on the Forth of July weekend. This event is held right down the street at the Gulfport Harbor/Jones Park.
100% refund if canceled at least 30 days before arrival date. 50% refund if canceled at least 14 days before arrival date.
Super cute house
House was decorated adorably and was great for our family of seven.
Beautiful and comfy
Really enjoyed the property. My family and I felt like we were at home. None of us wanted to leave. We just couldn't find the dvd remote but that wasn't an issue. Would love to stay there again.
Memorial Day Beach Weekend
We had a great stay at Castaway for Memorial Day weekend. We had 4 adults and 3 small children, and the house was great for our needs. It was clean and as advertised! We read several reviews prior, and hope this will be helpful for future renters.
1. As noted, there is only one shower. Not a big deal, but the shower is extremely low. The ceiling in the shower from tub to ceiling hits exactly at 6’, so the shower is even lower. Not a deal breaker, just keep your expectations low for the shower experience if you are above 5’9.
2. The bedroom with 2 twin beds is open to the stairs that go directly to the living room upstairs (no door) and adjacent to the room with the only TV (via French doors). We made the decision to put the kids in an upstairs room instead due to earlier bedtimes and adults wanting to hang out.
3. The outside eating area is one of the highlights! The grill is charcoal.
4. The kitchen is quite small to be an eat in kitchen — not a big deal since the weather was cooperative for us and we were able to dine outside.
5. Lots of breakable knickknacks - again, the weather was perfect so we rarely needed to be inside, but if we had inclement weather it would have been tough with kids.
6. There were TONS of bath towels and beach towels, which was a huge plus.
7. Washer and dryer in unit was also a perk.
8. The beach immediately south of house was very close to a factory or plant, so we found it more enjoyable to drive toward Long Beach for a slightly more scenic beach experience. The town of Pass Christian is also close and has some cute shops and restaurants.
All in all, would quickly stay again, and you can’t beat the price, proximity to beach, and ease of check in and check out, this the five stars! Communication beforehand was easy and pleasant with Bill.
Pleasant 3-day weekend
We thoroughly enjoyed our brief stay at the Cast-A-Way! It is a delightfully decorated free-standing home on the western edge of Gulfport. We found that the owners had provided everything we needed to enjoy our stay. The only minor surprise was a lack of wi-fi Internet. Ours is a family of six, and we noted when making the reservation that the kitchen table would only seat four, so that was a foreseen challenge... Prior reviewers complained of the downstairs tub not draining properly; I can report that issue has been resolved... In a nutshell, we highly recommend this property for anyone looking for accommodations in Gulfport!
Always good to hear from our guests. Just to address those concerns a bit. We like to enjoy the outside with the beaches and fishing and all the activities the Coast has to offer. Thats the main reason we don’t provide WIFI and we even state that in our description so there won’t be a disappointment. I’m glad you mentioned the Shower drain because I remodeled the plumbing last October and everything is as it should be now. We certainly enjoy hosting our Guests and try to anticipate their needs in advance. We look forward to your next vist. Thanks again for choosing the Castaway to spend your hard earned vacation.
Charming, comfortable cottage-perfect for a family getaway
We had a great time at the Castaway Cottage for a Christmas/New Year’s Family getaway! The cottage was beautifully decorated and even had seaside Christmas decor. With only one tv, our kids were forced to talk with each other and their cousin. We had a great time exploring Gulfport, Biloxi and Ocean Springs and the Waffle House just down the street was an added benefit as my husband and father do love their grits!
So good to hear from our guests. We are glad to have you anytime. We look forward to your next visit.
It was a great place for six women enjoying an annual get together.
The place was great. The only drawback was very poor drainage in the downstairs bathroom. The layout was great for us to all gather or to separate for quiet as needed.
So glad you had a good time. Regarding the drainage issue that is a problem with all turn of the century homes. However, at the end of October I am removing and replacing all the drains downstairs with new plumbing. We will be ready for your next visit...
Centrally located to all Coast Casinos, Outlet Malls, award wining Restaurants, Deep Sea Fishing, Cruising the Coast, Ship Island Tours, Water Parks, activities and festivals. One hour east of New Orleans, Louisiana and one hour west of Mobile, Alabama.