Cottage, 2 Bedrooms, 1 Bath, Sleeps 6
~~ Lakeside Getaway Features Cozy Lake-Front Cottage and Sunrise Views ~~
~~ Fishing, boating, swimming, plus Mackinaw Island ferries just a short drive away ~~
Our Lakeside Getaway sits directly on the western shore of beautiful Black Lake, a 3x6 mile, all-sports lake only minutes away from Cheboygan, Mackinac City, and other Great Lake destinations like Mackinac Island, Petoskey and Harbor Springs. Bright and cheery both inside and out, you can watch the sunrise over Black Mountain Recreation Area just across the lake.
Bring your boat and tie up at our 50-foot dock, or swim from the shoreline or dock (water's warm, and lake bottom is sandy). Just toss in a line to catch small perch, bass or bluegill. Jet-skis and other water toys can be rented also with off-lake vendors.
If you are looking for bigger sport fish such as walleye, pike, small mouth bass or muskie, try your luck out in the lake's deeper parts. Black Lake is known for its fishing. Right off our shoreline, about 200 yards where the drop off begins, is one of the best places to catch perch, walleye and pike. We have had many fish-fries ourselves.
You'll love to relax around our lakeside fire pit in the evenings and roast marshmallows to make s'mores, then watch the moon rise over the lake.
The cottage features two bedrooms, one with comfy queen-sized bed, and the guest room has twin beds with walk-in closet.
Full kitchen with all your cooking needs from plates and silverware to pots, pans, and wine opener. Toaster, toaster oven, microwave, tea kettle, coffee maker. Living room has two sofas, and new TV with DVD player and movies for your enjoyment. If you need to check email or have a smartphone, Wi-Fi is available as well.
Lakeside Getaway is a wonderful cottage
About the Owner
We are snowbirds, but I grew up in Michigan, and moved to Florida after college. Buying this cottage in 2005 was a way to get back to our roots. My husband, originally from Connecticut, has become an adopted Michigander.
Guestbook comments from the manager
"Dealing with Lisa was easy and pleasant. She gave good directions to the place and we had no trouble finding it. The cottage was clean, neat and comfortable, with all the amenities and a bonfire pit. It is situated right on a large, calm lake, perfect for swimming. There were a few boats on the lake, but not a lot, and so there wasn't a lot of boat noise. We also had ideal weather, which further enhanced our enjoyment of the place. We drove into town a couple of times for groceries and supplies, but mostly enjoyed the quiet, read, swam and watched a couple of DVDs. There was some firewood there, and a place nearby where we picked up some more, so we could have a fire every night. I wish I could show you the beauty of the surroundings and the different moods of the water by posting pictures. There is only one thing I don't like about this place; I plan to go back this year and I don't want this review to make it so popular I can't afford it, or can't reserve it when I want to!"
(5 traveler reviews)
Lakeside Getaway is a wonderful cottage
Our family has been visiting Black Lake for several years. I think this was our fourth year at the Lakeside Getaway. The owner is very nice and easy to work with. I have no complaints about the cottage, it is wonderful. It is very nice inside and out. It is refreshing to wake up, walk out the back door, and look at lake every morning. This year we went to St Ignace (in the UP), Mackinac City, and Cheboygan. We rented a pontoon boat for a couple of days and fished and swam on the lake. The children went to Burt Lake and rented a jet ski for a day. We love to visit Black Lake and we love the Lakeside Getaway. We will rent it again and would recommend it to our family and friends. Thank you. Mike and Paula
Very nice place, great view of the lake. We had our grandkids and they were able to swim without worry. It was shallow with no drop offs. The one big concern was we have a 17' boat, there wasn't a lot of room to park it, or the trailor.
Perfect vacation in Northern Michigan
We were extremely pleased with this rental experience. Everything was clean, neat, and exactly as described--casual and comfy. The cottage easily accommodated our three grandsons and us--and provided the comforts of home. The boys had fun fishing on Black Lake, building fires in the firepit for S'mores, and exploring. Since this part of Michigan was new to us, tips by the owners were extremely helpful in guiding us to the local sites. Mackinac Island was an easy drive and absolutely stunning. We also enjoyed day trips to Petoskey, Ocqueoc Falls (beautiful spot for fun on a hot day), the nearby sturgeon hatchery, Cross in the Woods, Onaway State Park ( abundant source of Petoskey stones), and lots more. Based on our experience, we would definitely recommend this cottage.
Great Lake cottage
This is a great lake cottage. It is a good location. Easy to find on land and water. There is plenty of room, for boats and cars. The layout inside is good. It is spotlessly clean. Good trip for boating, skiing, fishing. There is a good variety of restaurants locally. Really relaxing time. A nice famity vacation.
Great Lake Cottage
This is a great lakeside cottage. Right on the lake, good location. It has a good layout, is spotlessly clean. There are good restaurants nearby. Very relaxing. Perfect for a family getaway. Fishing, boating, sking.
From the Owner
“We loved the area, the fishing, Michigan's up north and the vast areas of undeveloped wilderness. The friendliness of the people in Onaway and the Tip of the Mitt was just an added bonus.”
Activity and Interests
You'll be sure to enjoy the many activities on Black Lake, which include:
* Boating of all kinds, including kayaking and canoeing.
* Swimming - shallow at shore and sandy too
* ORV/ ATV riding - trails are only a mile away from cottage
* Deer, otter, eagles, ducks, loons, swan viewing
* See the sturgeon hatchery with live yearlings in Tower (Keebler Dam)
* Golfing - courses near the lake or in town
* BBQing (charcoal grill included)
* Hiking - plenty of trails around the lake
* Wildflower sighting, berry picking
* Bike riding
* Antiquing & shopping in Cheboygan, Mackinaw City, Harbor Springs, Petoskey
* Dining - plenty of local restaurants with variety of menus
* Movies - in nearby Cheboygan, or plenty of DVDs at the cottage.
* Onaway and Aloha State Parks are just minutes away.
* Ocqueoc Falls - open in summer for swimming, tubing and waterplay
* Casinos are located in Petoskey and St. Ignace
* Lorenzo's, the local restaurant up the road, is family run and operated, and has eat-in or take-out dining which includes delicious pizza. Plus, there are loads of other restaurants around the lake and in nearby Onaway or Cheboygan. Fresh perch is on on the menu in many of them
* Golf enthusiast? You'll find many public golf courses nearby, including the famous course at Black Lake Golf Club, only 3 miles south.
* Into Off-Road riding or ATV-ing? DNR courses and trails that are marked and mapped are abundant on N. Black River Rd and at Black Mountain Recreation area on the northeast side of lake.
|Rate Period||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event|
My Standard Rate
7 night minimum stay
Additional information about rental rates
|Refundable damage deposit||$200|
Weekly Rate = $900
TERMS: Summer rental fee (Sat. 4 pm to Sat. 10 am) from June thru Sept, $850 per week, plus $150 security deposit (refundable). We are sorry, but during peak summer months, we do not rent cottage for less than a week. After Labor Day, there is a 2-night minimum stay, and rate is $135/night.
Manager's Cancellation Policy
- 50% refund if canceled at least 7 days before arrival date.
- 100% refund if canceled at least 14 days before arrival date.
- Available arrival
- Available stay (no arrival)
From the Owner
“We loved the coziness of our cottage, and being directly on the lake. The sunrises are spectacular too. The master bedroom and bath were re-done by previous owner, adding a laundry room too. It's perfect for having our many friends from downstate stay with us. We've enjoyed many bonfires, biking trips on the nearby trails, and BBQ's in the yard as well. We always look forward to getting back up north every spring and summer.”
- Away From It All
- Clothes Dryer
- Fireplace ...
- Hair Dryer
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided ...
- Living Room
- Towels Provided ...
- Washing Machine
- Coffee Maker
- Dishes & Utensils
- Kitchen ...
- Oven ...
- Pantry Items ...
- Refrigerator ...
- Dining ...
- Dining Area
- DVD Player
- Game Room
- Satellite / Cable
- Video Library
- Minimum Age Limit for Renters ...
- children welcome
- non smoking only
- pets not allowed
- coin laundry
- bird watching
- gambling casinos
- paddle boating
- scenic drives
- sight seeing
Local Services & Businesses
- medical services
Sports & Adventure Activities
- fly fishing
- freshwater fishing
- jet skiing
- mountain biking
- water skiing
- water tubing
- 850 sq. ft.
- Bathroom 1 - toilet, combination tub/shower
- Full tub and shower
- 2 Bedrooms, Sleeps 6
- Bedroom 1 - 1 queen
- Bedroom 2 - 2 twin/ single
- Golf ...
- Outdoor Grill
- Guests provide their own meals
- Our cottage features all the comforts of home, with modern appliances, plus microwave, coffee maker, toaster and toaster oven, in the fully equipped kitchen. Cottage also has a washer and dryer. All cookware and utensils are provided, plus there is cable TV and DVD player with plenty of movies on hand. There are also loads of board games, and we feature a library full of paperback and hard cover books of all genres. The master bedroom has a comfy, queen-sized bed, and the guest bedroom features two twin beds. In addition, the sleep sofa has a queen-sized Beauty Rest mattress. Ceiling fans in both bedrooms help enhance the lake breezes. The enclosed sun porch is perfect for reading or your kids' game playing, and you can relax in the mornings with your coffee for lake and loon watching. Black Lake is the sturgeon capital, and the prehistoric looking fish have been known to "porpoise" out in the lake. Also, bald eagles roost & feed nearby.