Cabin, 2 Bedrooms, 1 Baths, 5 Sleeps
Our two shore-front cabins on Great Pond in Franklin, Maine provide
an escape from the rush of modern life in a peaceful,
secluded setting in the beautiful Acadia region. A
return to a simpler life with the solitude of the Maine coast, woods,
and wildlife are part of the experience. Enjoy 55 acres of
privately-owned woodland with 4,500 feet of lake frontage on quiet
Great Pond. Listen to the loons, watch the sunset and enjoy the peace
and quiet of life in a more relaxed time.
Each cabin is private, clean and cozy with an open living/dining area,
a galley kitchen and bathroom. The Log cabin has one bedroom on the
first floor and a sleeping loft on the second floor. The Shingle
cabin has 2 bedrooms on the first floor. The porch looks out over the
water with spectacular views of the sunset.
A true get-away!
About the Owner
(5 traveler reviews)
A true get-away!
My wife and I spent the long holiday weekend and loved every minute. The cabin is charming; all the amenities you would need. View of the pond from the bedroom window was a "good morning" bonus. Close to hiking and bike trails. Did some fishing and visited Acadia. Nick and Cathy are such warm hosts. I can't wait to go back again next year.
Peaceful, beautiful setting and very, very clean - Shingle cabin
We enjoyed planning our stay with Cathy. Nick came right over when we arrived to tell us about the wood burning stove and ample supply of wood. The cabin is spotless and situated with wonderful views of Great Pond, where we sat every morning to have our coffee. We planned this trip to attend the Annual Star Night Event at Acadia on the top of Cadillac Mtn which was phenominal with 50 amateur astronomers set up to allow you to view so many stars, galaxies, moons....just incredible and well worth the trip. The kitchen is complete as long as you can handle washing dishes, which is an art we learned as kids, so we were fine. Neither of us minded not having TV but the lack of access to news was frustrating for us. There is occasionally 1 bar of cell service, but not enough to read or download our e-newspapers, so we caught up whenever we were in the car. We were amazed at the total silence outdoors. It was abnormally cold (40 at nite plus strong winds) for the time we were there and figure the birds must have flown south. Overall we really enjoyed our stay. A couple of things we know now which we didn't know when booking for consideration:
1. The heat from the wood stove is not vented into the bedrooms. The stove is at the far end of the cabin from the bedrooms in a cabin with no open floor plan. We were cold at nite even using the fan Nick suggested to help push the heat and the extra blankets, so we did not sleep well.
2. The furniture is past it's prime....the couch is a sleeper, older and thinly padded now and the only other chair is a rattan chair with no back cushion. We brought books but it was tough to sit and read them without constantly trying to find a comfortable position.
3. We are used to a king size bed but are fine with a queen size. One bedroom has an old and very squeaky full size bed and the other has bunks with a full size bottom bunk. We tried to switch to the other cabin but it was booked. We tried to sleep in the full bed but ended up sleeping in seperate rooms, which did not help with the cold house at nite. I would bring a larger queen or king air mattress next time and move the living room furniture at night and rent during the summer, but this is a beautiful setting and the hosts could not be more pleasant.
Beautiful cabin with everything you need
We are four students from Germany, Austria, Switzerland and Italy and we spent a great week in this cabin. The cabin is perfectly located, within a short car ride you can reach all kind of places for all kind of activities: Hiking in the Arcadia National Parc, shopping and eating in Bar Harbor, playing minigolf, huge Walmart etc. The cabin is beautifully located at the border of a lake. When we came home from a long hike in the National Parc we took the canoe (included in the price) and went on the lake to watch the sunset and have a swim. The cabin is very clean and has everything you need to relax: Shower, well-equipped kitchen, fridge, comfortable beds, board games etc. Nick and Cathy are super friendly, they even invited us over to watch together formula 1 on a rainy day.
We highly recommend this cabin, we will for sure come back!
Nature retreat away from civilization, technology
We rented both properties for an unforgettable week earlier this month. Our kids, dog, and friends thoroughly enjoyed pond, the cabin, and the beautiful land. We were comfortable in the cabin and enjoyed not having TV, cell phone access, telephone, or wifi. Most of our time was spent outside canoeing on the lake, swimming, and grilling.
Star gazing was a major plus here - so many stars! We even "canoed" at night under the stars. Nick and Cathy couldn't have been more helpful. They are a very nice couple always eager to please their customers. We highly recommend this property to those seeking a nature family retreat/getaway.
The cabin and lakefront were very peaceful with easy drive to Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park. If you want a busy vacation this as a great place to stay because it's easy to get to the attractions. If you want a peaceful vacation this is great because it's a quiet lakefront property with thihgs to do at your pace and timing. We were very impressed with the cabin, the property, the surroundings, the opportunity to be busy when we wanted to, relax when we wanted, and the property owners. Very nice property owners, and very helpful and knowledgeable about the area. The listing advertisement is accurate and true.
The only thing I have to say is that the listing indicates the only thing you really need to bring is towels. I would disagree. I would recommend you bring your family, your car, food, money(don't NEED much), pets and a camera. Just a little humor.
This place was wonderful and so were the property owners. we look forward to going back one day.
Activity and Interests
Great Pond provides swimming, boating, and fishing. A dock is available
for swimming and a canoe is provided with each cabin. Over a mile of
private shorefront and woodland trails are on the property. Wildlife
sightings include loons, eagles, osprey, otters, deer, beaver and moose.
There is easy access to the Downeast Sunrise Recreational Trail for
bicycling and walking.
Great Pond is located in the Bar Harbor/Acadia region and
is convenient to a wide variety of attractions and activities.
Nearby activities include hiking, golf, sea kayaking, day
sails and whale watching tours. Six lakes for boating,
swimming and fishing are within an easy fifteen minute drive.
Museums, miniature golf, waterslides and other amusements
are available. Attractions include:
Acadia National Park (23 miles)
Bar Harbor (26 miles)
Blue Hill (23 miles)
Ferry service to Maine Islands
Lamoine State Park (13 miles)
Schoodic Point (27 miles)
Additional information about rental rates
$750 per week (Saturday to Saturday) from mid-June to
$90 per night offseason May 1 to mid-June and mid-September through
October (2 night minimum for offseason rentals)
Refundable Pet Deposit of $35.00 per pet required
Lodging tax is included in the above rates
50% non-refundable deposit required
Please email or call for availability.
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- 50% refund if canceled at least 7 days before arrival date.
- 100% refund if canceled at least 14 days before arrival date.
- Available arrival
- Available stay (no arrival)
- Dining Area
- pets considered
- Water View
- Bathroom 1
- 2 Bedrooms, Sleeps 5
- Bedroom 1
- Bedroom 2
- Guests provide their own meals
- The cabins are equipped with dishes/utensils, pots and pans, a refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker, toaster and gas stove. A wood stove provides warmth and comfort. All bedding (sheets, blankets, etc.) is provided (bath towels are not provided). Outside we provide lakeside picnic tables, a charcoal grill and a fireplace. A dock is available for swimming and a canoe is provided with each cabin (kayak rentals are available). Both cabins are smoke free. Check the Great Pond Cabins website for more pictures. Well behaved pets are welcome ($35 refundable pet deposit required). Please see our website for full pet policies.