"Royden" is a classic old Newport estate in the Castle Hill area.
This early 20th century family house is constructed of red
brick with slate and copper roof and has two working fireplaces,
front and service gravel driveways on two and a half acres of
finely landscaped grounds with old growth trees and shrubs,
gardens and an expansive lawn. This very private residence is
surrounded by a classic stone wall and has 6 bedrooms, 4 1/2
baths, living room, dining room, kitchen , 2 car garage and sun
terrace.The sounds of fog horns and bell buoys fill the air and a
lovely private beach is just a short amble away.
Royden, the Stuyvesant Leroy House (1928-29; Frederick Rhinelander King, architect):
A 2½-story, 5-bay-façade, center-entrance, high-hip-roof L-plan Georgian Revival house with brick foundation, paired-Tuscan-column pedimented entrance porch sheltering principal entrance with sidelights, 6-over-6 windows, terrace on the west within the re-entrant angle of the L, 2-stall garage in the north elevation of the rear ell, dormers on the north and south slopes of the roof, and off-center chimney on the ridgeline; an axial drive, entered from Commonwealth Avenue to the east, is centered on the principal entrance and culminates in a circular motor court in front. In addition to the internal vehicular-circulation system, landscaping of the more-than-2-acre lot includes open greenswards to the east, south, and west punctuated with specimen trees, peripheral trees and understory plantings, and a stone wall details the boundaries.
At the lot’s northwest corner is the Collins family burying ground, a small plot enclosed by a granite-bollard and metal fence with 11 monuments (8 slate slabs, 2 granite slabs, and 1 marble obelisk on plinth) and a marker describing this as the burial site of John Collins (1712-1795), a member of the Continental Congress (1778-83) and Governor of Rhode Island (1785-90).
Leroy (1865-1951), a nephew of Edward King (1815-1875), whose family owned most of this part of Newport in the 19th and early 20th centuries, was at least the second generation of his New York family to spend summers in Newport; he built this about the time he retired. Architect King was Leroy’s first cousin once removed and may have designed this house.