Cottage, 2 Bedrooms, 1 Baths, 5-6 Sleeps. See "DESCRIPTION" for Rates & Dates.
9702 W Silver Lake Road Mears Michigan 49436
TWO THINGS TO NOTE:
1) ~ RATES - LISTED HERE ! ! ! ! ~ SCROLL DOWN CLICK "MORE DETAILS"
2) CLICK "Rates and Availability" above to see Calendar. The Grey color is not available.
I suggest Email me direct email@example.com
Two Bedrooms. One has a Double bed with firm Sealy mattress. Bedroom two has Bunk beds, the lower is a double, the upper a single.
Living Room has Two Couches.
Kitchen features Electric range with oven, 20 Cu Ft Refrigerator, Microwave, Mr Coffee - Coffee Maker, Pots and Pans, Griddle, lots of cups, plates, silverware.
Bath is small 3/4 bath with shower. The Water Heater is under the sink and is about 10 gallons so no Hollywood showers.
TV - no cable. 2 Channels High Definition CBS and FOX 22' flat screen w/ DVD . I include a few family movies for guests. The desk in the LR has a few board games. Scrabble, cards,checkers, and monopoly. Want to watch TV on vacation ? Silver Sands Hotel $250 a night will be happy to rent you one room.
There is a vacuum , a couple brooms, and a few cleaning products.
Charcoal Grill, a couple fishing poles but no guarantees on condition. Guests mess them up.
Wood stove for heat. 3 Fans , No Air. The Cottage is in the shade , being 2/3 mile from Lake Michigan , generally air temperatures are10 degrees cooler than inland 10 miles.
Fire pit on road side plus one by the water. State land across channel for free fire wood or several places in area sell bundles starting at $3.
There are 5 Deck chairs, a couple beach chairs under the bunk beds.
14' Sea Nymph Aluminum row boat and oars included with optional 2005 HONDA 5 HP Outboard. ($75 per stay for the outboard ). Coleman Canoe and paddles included. 4 coast guard approved flotation Seat cushions and a Four life vests (3 are kids sizes) .
Note – to rent a 14' aluminum with little motor at Wave Club on Silver Lake it is $125 a day. update. Wave Club stopped renting Aluminum boats. Now they rent paddle boards. Good luck with that.
Vacation Rentals changed all their software for 2015 and has limited characters.
I cannot get all my weeks and prices published on the main page.
RATES JUNE JULY AUGUST Are Weekly Rents.
FRIDAY 1 PM check in to FRIDAY 11 AM Check Out.
MAY $90 a night 2 night minimum. Memorial and Labor Day weekends 3 night Minimum.
June 3 - June 10 $500 RESERVED
June 10 - June 17 $650 RESERVED
June 17 - June 24 $700 RESERVED
June 24 - July 1 $800 RESERVED
July 1 - July 8th $1100 RESERVED
July 8th - July 15th $1000 RESERVED
July 15th - July 22 $900 RESERVED
July 22 - July 29 $950 RESERVED
July 29 - August 5th $800 RESERVED
August 5th - August 12th $800 RESERVED
August 12th - August 19th $800 RESERVED
August 19th to August 26th $750 ME there.
August 26th - September 2 $700 ( will consider 3 nights at $90 a night ).
Sept Labor Day weekend 3 Nights Min $90 a night. RESERVED
Post labor day $90 a night 2 night minimum. Rents Go to end of October or
first hard freeze. Internet is shut off November 1st.
BEFORE MEMORIAL weekend or After Labor Day Weekend Rates.
May , September and October RATES
Two Nights Min $90 a Night.
3 nights $75 a Night.
Shoot me a message with desired dates and I will shoot you a
price. Vacation rentals.com was bought out and everything changed. not user friendly, my customers get emails I do not send, and the web sight wants to charge guests about 20% more in case the owner/property manager is a fraud or double books. Feel free to pay them or me. as of September 2016 all guests have paid me direct.
We had a great vacation and will be returning!
About the Owner
Born and Raised in Shelby MI 15 minutes from Silver Lake.
Graduated GVSU 1978. Licensed Realtor and property manager since 1978. Married since 1981, two daughters and one grandson.
Guestbook comments from the manager
copy and paste from email sent 8/31/2016
I just wanted to thank you again! We didn't want to leave. The kids said that this was their best vacation ever. I hope we left everything looking okay because we would love to come back!
4.5 based on 17 traveler reviews
We had a great vacation and will be returning!
This cottage is perfect and cozy! The kids had so much to do from taking the canoe fishing up and down the channel to riding the boat over to the sand dunes. Less than 5 minutes away from Lake Michigan and an awesome view from the top of the lighthouse. The sand dunes offer hours of fun but the best memories our family made were hanging out on the dock fishing and sitting around the campfire! Thanks!!
Family had a good week. Sand Dunes are a spectical
Our extended family rents along the Michigan coast from South Haven to Traverse City. Pentwater and the Silver Lake Sand dunes areas are
the best for clean sandy beeches. Steve provided all we needed to
get to the dunes. Kids life jackets supplied, descent aluminum boat and
the kids used the canoe daily. Water was okay ( taste ). appliances worked as they should . ( no washing machine or dryer )... the cottage was clean. Yes, we had to broom the spider webs off the deck and deck chairs in the morning, if you want to be in the woods by the water it is more like camping than staying in a 5 star hotel. One rainy day kept us inside and we had 1 or 2 channels on tv that worked... just like when I was a kid. It would be nice is the area had more bike trails. Over all the family had a good time, the boys a blast. They pitched a tent one night across the creek on the state land. Mother worried. I didnt. Vacation is what you make it. We had a good experience.
Dirty and uncomfortable - pt 1
* Location, location, location (but I think that is ALL you are paying for). 1/4 mile along canal to Silver Lake and 1.5 mile drive to Lake Michigan. The price of cottage itself is not a good value.
* Excellent communication and responses from Steve.
* Bed sheets were clean.
* Fridge and freezer worked great.
* Tap water tasted good.
* Nature -- must be a drought because canal was as shallow as 5 inches in many parts. We literally had to get out of boat in several places and pull it to the opening of lake. We paid extra for the motor, but since it was such a hassle to get to lake by rowing and wading, we only went out twice. Again, so shallow, there were nothing but 1-2" little fishes swimming around, so no fishing either.
* Per website description, I was expecting humble accomodations (which they were), but I also expected comfortable and clean (which cottage was not). I also expected everything to work, which did not.
* Steve warned of a small water heater. Hot water was the least of our problems. (We had hot water all week). The problem was no water pressure! By the third day we had ZERO water. My husband had to open/close the valve to dilapidated water pump for over an hour which is exposed to the elements and LITERALLY cobbled together with (interior) plumbers putty, plastic grocery bag wrapped around pipe with duct tape and dangerous, exposed wires (not in conduit).
* IMO very little investment in property since 1978. Again, I expected humble, but everything is just cobbled together in a cheap and/or tacky fashion. IMO, there is no reason for an ancient stove/oven. Both the burners and the oven worked intermittently. One night I cooked a pizza and the oven worked great. The next night it would not get past (guessing) 250 degrees and it took over an hour for a semi cooked pizza. Front right burner worked one day and then not the next.
* Cabin is set up to accomodate a family and yet there is no where to enjoy a meal together. (Investing in a picnic table would be nice). There is a table inside with four chairs, but cottage so small, only three can sit really.
* We were greeted by the front of the house with one broken (pieces chipped off), plastic Adirondack chair in front that was filthy with dirt.
* Every single porch chair was dirty with dirt and cob webs behind them.
* Charcoal grill was so dirty that we put a sheet of foil on top when we used it.
Step Up from Camping
Steve was great at communication leading up to the rental and during the stay. It is a nice place, great view and the boys loved fishing there in the mornings. The canoe was great and well used by us every day. The kitchen is small but adequate and we cooked over 3/4 of our meals at the cabin. The main reason with a couple minor reasons I gave it a four instead of a five: Main: There are not doors on the bedrooms....just curtains. Vacationing with a toddler: nap times earlier bed time....you need doors. And is was not made clear that this was the case. Minor: it hasn't had a deep clean this year for sure lots of dust and musty smells.....
It was a nice stay and very relaxing. The main reason as I said is there aren't doors.
Just got back from a wonderful long weekend at this cabin location was great u r right on the canal which is beautiful the canoe and row boat were awesome will definitely b going back next year thanks Steve
My family just returned yesterday from a week at Silver Lake. We found this rental to be just as described - nothing fancy, but absolutely perfect for a week of dropping out and relaxing. Highlights of the week included the typical Silver Lake activities, but we especially enjoyed the visits and sightings of wildlife along the channel. We saw a swan family, several ducks, an otter, an eagle, a raccoon, and a couple turtles, not to mention the fish. The owner of the cottage was readily accessible, and answered all of my questions beforehand to ensure that we were all set for the week. We took the canoe out a few times, and used the rowboat with motor to get to and from the dunes. Would definitely return; this was a great vacation!
From the Owner
“I grew up in Oceana County. As soon as we turned 16 and could drive, Silver Lake was the place to go in the Summer. I noted most cottage owners were 40-70 years old or older. Not wanting to wait, I bought my cottage asap in 1977 when I was 23. Lots on Silver Lake Water Front were and still are cost prohibitive for me, however on the silver lake channel I could afford. My kids have their best memories of the summers at this cottage as well and many of their friends. I appreciate my paying guests that pay my property taxes and insurance for us.”
Activity and Interests
Cottage Suggestions. Take them or Leave them, It's Your Vacation.
Canoe - Included is a Coleman Canoe life jackets, seat cushions and paddles. The canoe works well in the Silver Lake channel and getting to the sand dunes if the pilots of the canoe have some skills.
Go left ( West) from the cottage in the canoe and one can go about 1/2 mile to a small dam.
Row Boat - WAY more stable then the Canoe. This Sea Worthy 14 foot Aluminum StarCraft wont sink. Rowing out the channel may be a challenge when you get close to Silver lake the channel narrows. It depends on the current of that day. Some will walk the boat a few feet into Silver lake then the current stops. The row back is a breeze. Ive been rowing it since the 1970's. Due to some shallow areas, it is best to row the channel and use the motor in Silver Lake.
WATER- One of the facts of the walking area of the Silver Lake beeches at the sand dunes is you cannot drive there and park on the dunes.. It keeps the Dunes more exclusive to boaters.
The Sand dunes are in 3 sections. South is Mac Wood Dune rides. Middle is the public area. Most people get there via boat. The North is for Motor vehicles with off road registration, State Park registration, flags etc to drive there.
If you want to go to Lake Michigan.. there are 2 parking areas at Lake Michigan near the cottage. Just turn Right (West) out of the cottage and follow the asphalt. One is a parking area for the public where the channel meets Lake Michigan the other is at the Light House.
FISHING - Many people fish right in front of the cottage. Most of the fishermen I see on Silver lake are near where this Channel enters Silver Lake. One man recommends between the State Park and the boat rental docks. Also, there is an upper channel to check out.
Silver Lake. Silver Lake is about 2 miles long and 1 mile wide. The deepest part is actually near the dunes about 25 feet deep. There is a severe drop off as the Dunes encroach on the Lake. On the road side of Silver Lake it is relatively shallow for hundreds of feet.
Boat Launches - there are 5. only one at the State Park works for Fiberglass boats. 17' or smaller Aluminum boats or jet ski's may use the others. One is across the street from Mac Wood Dune Rides, One Between the State park and Flordale resort, one near the Boat rental place at the end of the lake and one on the upper channel.
State Land is across the channel from the cottage- You are welcome to hike on the land across the channel from the cottage. If you run into a sandy road you have reached where Mac Wood Dune rides run and pedestrians make the drivers nervous. Please keep a distance from their trails. Hiking is one way to the Dunes.
HIDE AWAY CAMP GROUNDS - Across the street has a coin laundry room, a little store , and PIZZA. Whippy Dip next to Mac Woods has Pizza.
This cottage is 1/2 Mile to Silver Lake. One mile to Lake Michigan.
11 miles from Pentwater ( a tourist community bordering Lake Michigan).
6-8 miles from Stony Lake
3 golf courses
Lake Michigan beaches 1 mile.
Little Point Sable Lighthouse
Multiple water activities and rentals
Silver Lake Sand Dunes / Mac Wood Dune Rides
Mini Golf & Go Cart Track
For additional Photos just send a request.
|Rate Period||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event|
Aug 24 2016 - May 31 2017
2 night minimum stay
My Standard Rate
2 night minimum stay
Additional information about rental rates
|Refundable damage deposit||$200|
HERE ARE ALL THE RATES
Vacationrental.com for 2015 Changed all there software and it is not user friendly. Not enough characters to finish my
Friday to Friday.
6/5 - 6/12 $500
6/12 - 6/19 $550
6/19 - 6/26 $600
6/26 - 7/3 $800
7/3 - 7/10 $1200
7/10 7/17 $900
7/17 7/24 $950
7/24 7/31 $950
7/31 8/7 $800
8/7 8/14 $700
8/14 8/21 $600
8/21 8/28 $550
8/28 9/4 $500
9/4 9/11 $500 labor day
NOTE - There is a Calendar on this page to check available Dates. Upper right on main page.
7 Nights. Check in Fridays 1 PM . Check Out Friday 11 AM sharp.
$200 damage/deposit. Over 90% of the time 100% refunded.
Manager's Cancellation Policy
- Available arrival
- Available stay (no arrival)
From the Owner
“The Silver Lake Sand Dunes are one of the best places to be in the World ....for my money anyway.”
- Living Room ...
- Parking ...
- Wood Stove ...
- Coffee Maker ...
- Dishes & Utensils ...
- Kitchen ...
- Microwave ...
- Oven ...
- Refrigerator ...
- Stove ...
- Toaster ...
- Dining ...
- Dining Area
- DVD Player ...
- Games ...
- Television ...
- children welcome ...
- non smoking only
- pets considered ...
- Water View
- autumn foliage
- coin laundry
- horseback riding
- paddle boating
- scenic drives
- sight seeing
Local Services & Businesses
- medical services
Sports & Adventure Activities
- mountain biking
- pier fishing
- roller blading
- scuba diving or snorkeling
- sound/bay fishing
- water skiing
- water tubing
- 650 sq. ft.
- Bathroom 1
- This is a cabin. There is no jet tub, and no Hollywood Showers. The 15 Gallon water heater will see to that.
- 2 Bedrooms, Sleeps 6
- Bedroom 1
- Bedroom 2
- Bicycles ...
- Boat ...
- Deck / Patio ...
- Kayak / Canoe ...
- Outdoor Grill ...
- Guests provide their own meals
- Deck facing the Silver Lake Channel & hundreds of acres of State Land Woods. Plenty of wild life to watch. The near by Silver Lake Sand Dunes offer 2000 acres of beach sand. Take the Canoe or Aluminum boat to get there. Cottage is 1 mile from Lake Michigan with free parking and Public Beech Access. 1.5 Miles from the Lake Michigan Little Point Sable Light House. 1/3 mile down the Silver Lake Channel is a small park with a few picnic tables. A foot bridge is used to cross the channel to get to the park. The park is between my cottage and the Silver Lake Channel Dam. In the other direction.. 1/2 Mile North is a small free County boat launch. 1.5 Miles to the Silver Lake State Park Camp Grounds. There is a swimming area at this park. Also a boat launch for heavier boats. Walking. Walk off road... State Land across the channel or across the road through Hide-away-camp grounds joins State Land walking paths in the woods. I prefer walks through Hide-away camp grounds.