House, 3 Bedrooms, 2 Baths, 6 Sleeps
About Steve Corneliussen
We have been serving the Burnsville area since 2006 renting out vacation rentals.
Steve Corneliussen purchased this House in 2007
100% refund if canceled at least 30 days before arrival date. 50% refund if canceled at least 14 days before arrival date.
AS ADVERTISED. WE HAD ONE SMALL PROBLEM WHICH WAS RESOLVED IN A VERY TIMELY MANNER.
Great location...but not too clean....
It’s been our 3rd trip to South Toe River Rd area. Our 1st time in winter ( arrived on Christmas Day ) & we loved it there!
We enjoyed walking the dog in the neighborhood & golf course ( was closed for winter season ), hiking on trails from Black Mountain Campground ;downtown Burnsville is cute ( great food at Garden
House itself was not very clean... upon arrival I noticed right away that old looking carpet wasn’t even vacuumed, bathrooms & kitchen needed good cleaning, dust...overall i think that place needs a good scrubbing!
In downstairs bedroom, the mattress is a back killer, as soon as you lie down ,it sinks....and i’m not heavy (110 lbs )
Heating the place was frustrating....We kept the temp.~68.... but it felt like all heat went upstairs ( even after shutting the vents )so we showered there since downstairs was too cold, but it was too hot to sleep there ( couldn’t get away from sinking mattress :(...)
And then if we lower the heat ,it was freezing downstairs.....you can’t win....it felt like good 10 degrees difference (if not more) between 2 stories.
There was a note on downstairs fireplace about it leaking during the rain ,so we didn’t use it , since it did rain.
On positive note, we really enjoyed the outdoors when it didn’t rain, great location for hiking or just simply walking up & down on curvy roads !
Great getaway on the S. Toe River!
We love the S. Toe River area and love traveling with our dogs. This was a perfect Christmas getaway with our son and his girlfriend. We had a wonderful relaxing 4 days building fires, hiking, playing games. We slept great in the beds and loved the jacuzzi tub! The house is older and will be upgraded after this rental season per property manager but since it was raining when we got there and we had 2 dogs in tow-I wasn’t as worried we might get something messy. The screen porch needs some repair but I am sure they will do that over the winter and it was too cold for us to sit out there so again not really an issue. We cooked all of our meals there and found everything we needed. Property manager answered several questions immediately. We keep trying to catch some snow and it did snow in the upper elevations while we were there-maybe next year!
We loved this place!!
We’d come again!
The home is in a lovely location and the owner was extremely helpful since we stayed as hurricane evacuees. The porch is beautiful. I agree that the place could use a good cleaning. There were a few things I didn’t note prior to staying. For example trash is not included in the rental unless you pay additional fees. There are NO spices for cooking, pack what you need!
Needs a good cleaning
Property is in a great location, not too far from any thing you might want to do. Had brief encounters with a couple of the neighbors (one right across the river, the other while I was walking my dog) and neither was very friendly (my impression was they didnt approve of renters in their neighborhood). The house itself could just use a really good cleaning (cob webs everywhere) and the carpets/rugs need attention. The screened in porch is awesome! Overall, it was an enjoyable/peaceful week.
We are in the process of replacing rugs and carpets just waiting for season to end as it has been full this year!
The cob webs seem to grow overnight as we are in the woods and all creatures small and large linger. will do better to stay ahead of this problem.
Things to Do Nearby
On Site -- fly fishing, golf, hiking
Within 5-10 miles
* Carolina Hemlocks Recreation Park - Operated by Pisgah National Forest, Hiking trails, terrific swimming hole in summer, RV and tent camping, tubing in the river, great trout fishing in the South Toe River.
* Mount Mitchell Golf Course - Rated 4 1/2 stars by Golf Digest one of the best public courses in the mountains, centered on the South Toe River which comes into play on almost every fairway on the back nine.
* Black Mountain Campground - Within the Pisgah National Forest and along the South Toe River watershed on Mount Mitchell's eastern slope. Hunting, Fishing, waterfalls, hiking trails, RV dump station, RV and tent camping.
* Setrock Waterfalls - located at Black Mountain Campground, about 1/2 mile hike, cascading waterfall of over one hundred feet.
* Little Switzerland -- quaint shops, great restuarants
* Roaring Fork Waterfall - only 1/2 mile from Mount Mitchell Golf Course, one of the most spectacular falls in the area, and a real hidden gem. Its 1/2 mile hike up a forest road, nearly level hike.
Within 10-20 miles
* Burnsville and its quaint old town square.
* Penland School of Crafts - I like to call it the "Juliard" of craft arts. Its located between Burnsville and Spruce Pine, and has drawn many artists to the area. We may have the largest concentration of craft artists in the Eastern US.
* Numerous Craft Studios scattered throughout the area
* Mount Mitchell State Park - and home of four of the top ten mountain peaks in the US, including Mount Mitchell which is the highest peak East of the Rockies.
* Lynnville Falls - a popular tourist destination
* Mast General Store
* Roan Mountain State Park - popular for its hundreds of acres of bald mountain covered in pink flowering native Rhododendrons. The Rhododendron festival is generally in late June at the town of Bakersville.
* Lake Lure near Black Mountain, wonderful mountain lake with high-end mountain homes and estates
* Lake James near Marion, boating and fishing, public access
* Chimney Rock, now publicly owned, a natural wonder and great hiking spot.
* Black Mountain, a town renowned for its small shops and restuarants, great place to spend an afternoon.
Within 45-60 miles
* Asheville - One of the "happiest" towns in America, a true mountain town with a lively art culture.
* Biltmore Estate - The largest private residence in America built by George Vanderbuilt, and now open for tours, one of the premier tourist destinations in the East.
* Blowing Rock, a wonderful mountain retreat with great shopping.
* Wolf Laurel Ski Resort
* Grandfather Mountain - biosphere and privately owned park (open to public). Excellent hiking, wildlife park, etc.
* Beech Mountain Ski Resort
* Sugar Mountain Ski Resort