Large comfortable 4-BR, 2 BA house with Water & Mountain Views
This large, comfortable 'backbeach' house is what summer's all about: swimming pool, tennis, beach, family, fun. Sailors' End is situated on the culdesac at the end of the road--set back from the beachfront--where kids can play in the huge yard or bike the small community while you relax on the deck. Up the road, the private community swimming pool is warm and welcoming with tennis next door. Down the road (~5 min stroll) is the community's private beach access to the golden sand of Mutiny Bay--SW-facing and great for beachcombing, beach fires, and building castles and forts, a favorite local kids' pasttime. Sailors' End borders a nature preserve where you'll hear the croaking of frogs at twilight, and see rabbits, deer, bald eagles, osprey, and, at night, STARS!
The upstairs living area is spacious and airy with sky lights and an open floorplan facing partial views of Puget Sound and the Olympic Mountains. It's been recently remodeled with new windows, doors, and bamboo flooring--clean and fresh. Master bedroom has king bed; second upstairs bedroom has double. All bedrooms have down comforters and pillows (non-down options available). Kitchen has that comfortable beach feel--large & functional, not fussy or fancy--and is laid out well for multiple chefs, and stocked with plenty of everything for large groups. Open floorplan with eating bar is great for socializing; artistic touches add whimsy and style.
If you've got friends or kids joining you, you'll make use of the lower level with its huge light & bright family room--DVD player, board games, toys, and fireplace. Also two more bedrooms (queen + twin, and full + twin) and laundry room. Ping pong table in the carport! Cornhole (bean bag toss) for the deck or yard! Plenty of space for folks to gather together and play or chat, or curl up alone for a little down time.
We're a short drive--or bike ride!--to Freeland's excellent grocery store, Langley's antique shops, and South Whidbey State Park's old-growth hiking trails. Large backyard has apple tree and swing, and beckons for wiffle ball, croquet, or bocce ball. Sailors' End is the kind of beach house you remember from your childhood--not fussy or fancy--but clean, bright, comfortable, well-appointed, and a great place for relaxation and fun.
* Our community's private beach at sunset
* Our mountain and water view through living room windows at sunset
* Living room is comfortable for groups large or small
* Large, well-stocked kitchen with eating bar
* Open floor plan includes sizeable dining area
* The Captains' Room (upstairs): king bed + desk
* The Mountain Room (upstairs): double bed
* The Zoo Room (downstairs): queen + twin + desk
* The Wave Room (downstairs): double + twin + desk
* Family room (downstairs): futon + couch + TV/VCR + game table
* The view from our deck
* A particularly dramatic sunset
* Swimming pool has tables, lounge chairs, & a great view
* Great for kids--lots of pool toys, kiddie area, pool house with bathrooms
* Tennis court has great view too
* Front of house with deck
Great stay on Whidbey!
About the Owner
Rob and I have lived in the Pacific Northwest for decades and we think that this is the best place on earth. We have two school-aged children who love to build sand castles on the beach and swim once (or twice) a day at our community's private kid-friendly pool.
Guestbook comments from the owner
Your place is the best place in the world!!!!
-from a 7-year-old guest
We really enjoyed your great beach house, the books, the swing, toys, beach combing, and Greenbank Farms. Thanks so much!
-from her parents
Great stay on Whidbey!
We had a fantastic stay! The house was fully equipped with all the necessary amenities. It was super close to the beach, where we all enjoyed looking for sea creatures, watching the birds, and wading in the water. We spent one of our mornings in Langley, and another in Port Townsend. The rest of our time was spent in the pool and relaxing on the beach and on the deck. The house itself was great. It had ample room for multiple family-groups and two large and inviting living room areas. The house was clean and inviting and we especially appreciated the child-friendly swing and toys! Thank you so much for proving the perfect place for our family reunion!
Would definitely stay here again!
One of the best equipped and comfortable rentals we have stayed in. We had a party of 10 (adults and minors) and everyone had plenty of space. Loved that beach access, tennis court and pool were walking distance. Very nice gas grill that even had a spare propane tank. Everything helped our family reunion gather together and unplug from the daily routines. A bonus was the main bathroom having grab bars. Also the owners are welcoming to well behaved dogs. This allowed our whole family to gather. Thank you!
It was everything I had hoped it would be.
The house was clean, comfortable and amazingly well stocked. Myself and my two daughters and their families stayed for a long weekend to attend a family wedding. The children ranged from 15 months to 14 years and there were toys, games and sports stuff to keep them all happy. The beach was just a couple of blocks walk away and had a simply gorgeous sandy beach where we all spent most of our free time. The kitchen was well supplied with everything we needed to cook meals; there were plenty of towels, a washer and dryer, an iron. Surprisingly there was a babychair to feed the 15 month old and a portacrib for him to sleep in. In fact there is nothing I can think of that we needed that was not there. Between the beach and the ping pong table, we sadly never managed to work in a trip to the pool. Everyone agreed it was a great house and we would all go back.
We had a wonderful time during our 4 day weekend ! The house was perfect for our family --- 6 adults and several kids. We had plenty of space for everyone without feeling crammed. The house was spotlessly clean and well-supplied. It was bright and sunny and fresh. There was a good variety of toys, games, movies, and books for everyone although we chose to spend most of our time on the beautiful beach. The kids loved the big window in the stairwell where they could view bunnies and deer each day. Also the swing in the old apple tree got lots of use! It was nice being at the end of a cul-de-sac so the kids could safely ride their bikes around. The neighbors were extremely friendly and welcoming to us.
The beach was just a short walk down the street. We spent much of our time there because Mutiny Bay Beach is the most beautiful on the whole island !
We appreciated the grill and cooked most of our meals on it out on the deck.
The down bedding throughout the house was lush. Our only complaint was that the futon mattress in the Zoo room wasn't comfortable for adults.... a real mattress would have been nice.
The house is close to shopping so we could easily get our morning coffee at the barista just down the way!
The owners, Mari and Rob, were easy to contact and very responsive.
We highly recommend this vacation rental and hope to visit it again in the future!
The house is perfect for a family. Kitchen & linens well equipped. Toys, tree swing, & beach...Fun!
Private neighborhood is very quiet. It is a perfect place to relax, deer leisurely wander by, yet the grocery store is only minutes away. We brought our 6 children and our parents and everyone enjoyed it. We will definitely come back! Fires on the beach, ping pong in the carport, lots of driftwood to build forts and rafts. There is a red wagon here which the kids loved to ride in, we brought a foldable one from Costco to cart chairs, etc., down to the beach.
Great house for larger groups
We stayed at this home with another family and the size was perfect for our group with room to spare. Everything was in order when we arrived and the house more than meets basic vacation needs. The kids loved the scooters and the pool was great for hot days. Overall a really good space for a larger group.
From the Owner
“Rob and I bought this big ole beach house just from our dear friends who have had it since 2000. We have been coming to this place ever for many years, filled it with friends, dogs, and beer-pong tournaments back when it still had shag carpet and fake-wood paneling. Since then the house has been slowly upgraded with installing proper walls, windows, and bamboo flooring (we were fine letting that shag carpet go). But it still has its beachy charm with driftwood mantels and a lovely open floorpan that's great for spending quality time with friends and family.”
Activity and Interests
Whidbey Island has quaint seaside villages, gourmet restaurants, lush forests, and beautiful beaches. Enjoy:
- Mutiny Bay's golden sand beach--beachcomb, build sand castles, roast s'mores
- Whidbey State Parks--count the steps in Admiralty Lighthouse, play hide and seek in Fort Casey's bunkers, hike the windblown bluff at Fort Ebey
- Excellent fishing, crabbing, shrimping in Mutiny Bay--launch at Mutiny Bay public boat ramp just south of us; launch at Bush Point public boat ramp just north of us
- Five public golf courses--Holmes Harbor 18-hole course is just a 5-min. drive away
- Great backroads biking--cycle through rolling farmlands and past stunning water vistas
- Whidbey's cute seaside towns--shop farmer's markets in Bayview, taste wine in Greenbank, buy mussels in Coupeville, gallery hop and antique hunt in Langley
|Rate Period||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
May 26 2016 - Sep 30 2016
3 night minimum stay
Oct 1 2016 - May 22 2017
2 night minimum stay
My Standard Rate
2 night minimum stay
* Approximate monthly rate. Actual rate will depend on the days of the month you stay.
Additional information about rental rates
|Refundable damage deposit||$500|
3 night minimum unless vacancy 2 weeks prior--please inquire
Check-in 3 p.m.
Check-out 10 a.m.
Times negotiable if no new guests arriving/departing; please inquire.
All guests must be 21 years or older unless accompanied by parent or guardian.
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- 50% refund if canceled at least 14 days before arrival date.
- 100% refund if canceled at least 30 days before arrival date.
- Available arrival
- Available stay (no arrival)
From the Owner
“We love being set back away from the bustle of the beach, where we have privacy and our kids can roam the HUGE backyard and do loop-de-loops in the cul-de-sac on their bikes. Meanwhile we kick back with a glass of wine on the deck. The view of the water and mountains lets you know you're at the beach, but the size of the house lets you spread out and relax with all your friends and family (beachfront houses in our community are limited to one-story). Mutiny Bay is the best sand beach on the island!”
- Away From It All
- Sports & Activities
- Tourist Attractions
- Coffee Maker ...
- Dishes & Utensils ...
- Kitchen ...
- Toaster ...
- Dining Area
Pool / Spa
- Outdoor Pool
- Long-term Renters Welcome
- Minimum Age Limit for Renters ...
- children welcome ...
- non smoking only
- pets considered ...
- Beach View
- Mountain View
- Ocean View
- Water View
- autumn foliage
- botanical garden
- coin laundry
- live theater
- recreation center
- winery tours
- bird watching
- horseback riding
- scenic drives
- sight seeing
Local Services & Businesses
- fitness center
- massage therapist
- medical services
Sports & Adventure Activities
- equestrian events
- mountain biking
- roller blading
- sound/bay fishing
- 2400 sq. ft.
- Upstairs Bath - toilet, combination tub/shower, Access upstairs bath from hall as well as from Master BR
- Downstairs Bath - toilet, shower
- 4 Bedrooms, Sleeps 10
- The Zoo Room--downstairs - 1 queen, 1 twin/ single
- The Wave Room--downstairs - 1 double, 1 twin/ single
- The Captains' Room--Master BR upstairs - 1 king, Pack-n-play in closet--use where convenient
- The Mountain Room--upstairs - 1 double
- Our beach house has 4 BRs, all with down pillows & comforters (non-down option available), as well as a futon couch in the Family Room downstairs. We also have 2 toddler foldout beds in the family room closet--kids love 'em!
- Outdoor Grill
- Guests provide their own meals
- Upstairs: * Master BR with king * Guest BR with full * Comfortable living room with fireplace and view * Large dining room table + kids' table + eating bar * Large kitchen with coffee grinder/machine, dishwasher, microwave, toaster, blender, new oven and dishwasher * Open floorplan for easy entertaining * Stereo system for CDs & smartphones (USB port) so you can bring your own music * Smartphones get good reception here but we have no cable or Internet--you're on vacation! Downstairs: * Family room with fireplace and TV with DVD/VHS players + large movie selection * Large BR with queen-size Japanese futon bed (the nice kind) and twin bed * Small BR with full bed and twin bed * Extra sleeping options for kids (or easy-going adults) include: foldout futon couch; extra futon mattress for floor; small foldout beds for under-6-yr-olds * Washer and dryer * Beds have cozy down comforters and pillows (some non-down options are in linen closet) Outside: * Upstairs deck with propane BBQ (please advise us if you switch tanks so we can refill the extra can!) * Ping pong table in carport * Wetlands teeming with wildlife * Large backyard with kids' tree swing * Plenty of parking area * At end of quiet road, only house on culdesac, great for kids' biking, roller skating, or scootering