House, 3 Bedrooms, 3 Baths, 8 Sleeps
About Tim Russell
We have been serving the Burnsville area with vacation rentals since 2007.
Tim Russell purchased this House in 2006
100% refund if canceled at least 30 days before arrival date. 50% refund if canceled at least 14 days before arrival date.
What a getaway!!! That was really peaceful and quiet. The South Toe River runs right in front of the house, and if you open up your windows at night, you can listen to the sounds of the river. The temperature never was above 80F, and the lows were in the 60's. Of course, we stayed there at the end of July, so take that into account. The house was well stocked with everything that you need to cook, eat, and drink with minus food, drink, and some spices. There were plenty of towels, rags, linen, etc. The house was setup for everything you would need.
The tv had plenty of channels to choose from, and if you wanted to play a game, there were several of those to choose from, as well. The basement had a ping pong table that was well utilized by my kids. The house was great.
The river was down, so it wasn't where we could go tubing down it, except for a short stretch, where we were at, but it was still fun to play in. I guess it depends on the part of the season.
The location was kind of the beaten path, but was fun to get to. It isn't far from stores, and even Walmart isn't that far away. There is a park that is close by, that you can go to and go swimming and tubing; it is called Carolina Hemlocks Recreational Area and Campground Park. It is about an hour away from Johnson City, TN and Ashville, NC. We went to both while we were there.
The only issue is there isn't any cell service for ATT for several miles. They have a house phone, but you can set your cell phone to do WiFi calling, as well. The only other thing that was different is that two of the bathroom doors are accordion style doors, so be prepared for that. The upstairs has a regular door, which was good. Either way it was great.
The owner was really great and understanding and he answered all my questions. He was really helpful and gracious, even though I asked many questions. We had a wonderful time and I hope you get a chance to visit this place.
So beautiful. In the mountains, sound of the water running could be easily heard from the deck. Just down the hill, across the road was the Toe River, so beautiful. House was great! the kids got some great games of ping pong in. Big table to seat all of us. Comfy beds. Very nice.
The house was cozy and has all you need to really get away. Close proximity to the Parkway and we loved the river across the street.
Well kept gem in the mountains
We had a wonderful weekend. The home was perfect for our family and the river across the road was great.
Charming Private House Among the Trees
Such a cute and very comfortable house with the feeling of being in the trees. The house was well equipped, convenient and welcoming. We used this location as a base to explore the many quaint towns near by along with Asheville, Mt. Mitchell State Park and Pisgah National Forest. Spent mornings and evenings on the deck listening to birds and the wonderful sound of the creek. Loved our visit. Recommend without reservation.
This house is more than adequate for weeks to rent. It is so stocked we could live there.
Fishing is awesome in river across the street and woods are all around you to explore.
Within walking distance
Fishing in South Toe River
Golf Course pro shop
Setrock and Roaring Fork waterfalls
Pisgah National Forest
Things to Do Nearby
Within 5-10 miles
* Carolina Hemlocks Recreation Park - Operated by Pisgah National Forest, Hiking trails, terrific swimming hole in summer, RV and tent camping, tubing in the river, great trout fishing in the South Toe River.
* Mount Mitchell Golf Course - Rated 4 1/2 stars by Golf Digest one of the best public courses in the mountains, centered on the South Toe River which comes into play on almost every fairway on the back nine.
* Black Mountain Campground - Within the Pisgah National Forest and along the South Toe River watershed on Mount Mitchell's eastern slope. Hunting, Fishing, waterfalls, hiking trails, RV dump station, RV and tent camping.
* Setrock Waterfalls - located at Black Mountain Campground, about 1/2 mile hike, cascading waterfall of over one hundred feet.
* Little Switzerland -- quaint shops, great restuarants
* Roaring Fork Waterfall - only 1/2 mile from Mount Mitchell Golf Course, one of the most spectacular falls in the area, and a real hidden gem. Its 1/2 mile hike up a forest road, nearly level hike.
Within 10-20 miles
* Burnsville and its quaint old town square.
* Penland School of Crafts - I like to call it the "Juliard" of craft arts. Its located between Burnsville and Spruce Pine, and has drawn many artists to the area. We may have the largest concentration of craft artists in the Eastern US.
* Numerous Craft Studios scattered throughout the area
* Mount Mitchell State Park - and home of four of the top ten mountain peaks in the US, including Mount Mitchell which is the highest peak East of the Rockies.
* Lynnville Falls - a popular tourist destination
* Mast General Store
* Roan Mountain State Park - popular for its hundreds of acres of bald mountain covered in pink flowering native Rhododendrons. The Rhododendron festival is generally in late June at the town of Bakersville.
* Lake Lure near Black Mountain, wonderful mountain lake with high-end mountain homes and estates
* Lake James near Marion, boating and fishing, public access
* Chimney Rock, now publicly owned, a natural wonder and great hiking spot.
* Black Mountain, a town renowned for its small shops and restuarants, great place to spend an afternoon.
Within 45-60 miles
* Asheville - One of the "happiest" towns in America, a true mountain town with a lively art culture.
* Biltmore Estate - The largest private residence in America built by George Vanderbuilt, and now open for tours, one of the premier tourist destinations in the East.
* Blowing Rock, a wonderful mountain retreat with great shopping.
* Wolf Laurel Ski Resort
* Grandfather Mountain - biosphere and privately owned park (open to public). Excellent hiking, wildlife park, etc.
* Beech Mountain Ski Resort
* Sugar Mountain Ski Resort