House, 3 Bedrooms, 3 Baths, 6 Sleeps
You can sit and listen to the river rushing by just below this beautifully refurbished lodge/cabin that features gorgeous new hardwood floors and granite counters, new appliances, recreation room with ping-pong, deck overlooks the Black Mountain Range with 5 of the top 10 peaks in the eastern US including Mt Mitchell, tallest east of the Rockies.
Beautiful master bedroom features its very own gas-log fireplace, and each of the two additional bedrooms have their own lavatory, and large windows with wonderful mountain and wooded views. Deer are common in the naturally landscaped yard, and some of the best trout fishing in the Southeast are right outside your door.
Short walk to National Forest, several waterfalls within 2 miles, and only 2 miles off the Blue Ridge Parkway at exit 344 (Buck Creek Gap).
Don't let someone else get your reservation while you're waiting for us to respond to your email. We have 24/7 secure reservation system , and we take all major credit cards. Make your reservation now, don't be left looking for second best. "git'er done"
I'm very impressed with this property'sy. Highly recommend.I'm very impressed with this property'sy. Highly recommend.
About the Owner
About Tim Russell
We have been serving the Burnsville area with vacation rentals since 2007.
Tim Russell purchased this house in 2006
(6 traveler reviews)
I'm very impressed with this property'sy. Highly recommend.
Very impressed with this property Highly recommend
Great spot tucked in the woods!
We really enjoyed this property! I'm going to list some things about it that we discovered upon staying...please note that we are an adventurous family of 8 with children ranging from 15 years down to 8 months. My kids have mad climbing skills.
Getting up the mountain was like a roller coaster ride. Tons of switchbacks & loads of winding. Once up the mountain, no biggie. There is NO cell phone service, but a land line is provided in the house. We enjoyed being unplugged. There is WiFi so you are connected while in the house. The layout of this house is great! Fully finished basement (with new washer/dryer), living/dining/kitchen on main floor & bedrooms upstairs (we brought cots for 2 of our kids because we wanted everyone sleeping on the same level. There is a futon in the basement, but that arrangement didn't work for us). Each level has a bathroom which is great! The kitchen is well-equipped. We ate at home the entire week without skipping a beat (We did need to buy spices). They even have a crock pot! We could play all day in the cold water & come home to a hot meal. Thumbs up for this mom! There is a big pipe that runs from the furnace in the basement all the way through the roof. There is a gap between the pipe & the floor on the main living area. We just tied one of the outdoor cushions around it which filled the gap & it worked well. In the winter, I imagine this pipe would be hot not allowing the cushion. Also, there are no baby gates on the stairs. Again, we improvised by using the large ottoman to block the stairs on the main level. There are not many games or movies for kids so you should definitely bring that for your family. The convenience center where you drop your trash is a bit further than the drawing suggests, but once you find it, it's easy to find again. This home is located across the street from the Toe River. To get down to the river there is a pretty steep rock wall that you have to climb down. It was no problem for us, but I could see it being an issue for families who are less inclined to those kinds of things. I put baby on my back in a carrier & got down to the river, no problem. My 3 & 5 year olds also got up & down without any trouble. We had a great stay! We visited Carolina Hemlocks more than once. We hiked the full loop at Crabtree Falls. We spent lots of time in the river & had ice cream (which is fantastic) at the bottom of the mountain. It was a refreshing time for us!
This house is our least favorite house we have rented in the mountains. The price was pretty high as well for what you get.
To start off, it does have a nice big kitchen with plenty of seating for 6 at the dinner table. The master bedroom is large with a nice reading area and fireplace. I don't want someone to think they shouldn't at least check this place out, we just know that we would not return for another vacation.
The location is across the street from the south toe river but is is not a section that you can get to the water easily. You can walk down the road about a half mile to a small picnic area to enjoy the water.
We like our privacy on vacations and while you don't have any neighbors, it can be loud with cars coming past on the gravel road.
If you have small children you will have to bring baby gates and cover up the odd gap in the middle of the floor where the wood stove pipe comes through.
I think this place would be great for someone needing a home base for activities as its close to the golf course and trails.
A wonderful vacation with minor inconveniences
The cabin was very nice and wonderfully located, with several nice hikes within the walking distance and quite a few more hikes and other activities within a relatively short driving distance including several beautiful falls (Setrock and Roaring Forks falls within a walking distance, Crabtree Falls right around the corener, and Linville Falls and Caverns a short distance away), Mount Mitchell State Parks, Gem Mountain, a swimming hole and much more. It was probably one of the best and most varied vacations we had in years. The cabin is generally well maintained and comfortable.
However, beware: you will have to take your trash with you! For some obscure reason, the cabin owner has evidently not arranged for the trash pick up, so be prepared to drive stinking trash in your car for miles on the winding roads to a convenience station. The stations that were shown on the map provided in the cabin were all closed when we tried them, so we ended up begging an attendant at an Amoco station to let us dispose of our garbage in their container. This necessity to collect stinking garbage in the garage and then search far and wide for a place to get rid of it was the only significant blemish on the whole experience.
Great Family Vacation!
We are a family of four (2 adults and 2 children - 12 & 10) From the pictures on the website we thought this looked like a beautiful home. We were pleasantly surprised that the house was even more beautiful in person. We all loved the very spacious living room, dining room and kitchen. The master bedroom was gorgeous and cozy! We spent our days either down by the water or visiting nearby waterfalls. Mt Mitchell was so close! The kids thought it was so neat how in the middle of summer, it was in the mid to upper 60's on top of Mt. Mitchell. We even stumbled across a restaurant called "The Shepherd’s Table" that had the best homemade chicken and dumplings I've ever eaten! We all loved this vacation so much. I mostly enjoyed that it was secluded from lots of traffic. It's set back off the road and quiet. The price was perfect and other family members could not believe the amount of space we got for what we paid!
What a nice house. I loved the kitchen! It's nice to go on vacation and find a FULLY equiped kitchen. Lots of plates and silverware. This house is at the base of Mt Mitchell and in the woods (bring some bug spray if you sit outside - we also brought our own folding chairs). It is very private. We ate at the house several nights because it was a good drive to any resturants. We went to Burnsville to eat twice and went to the Burnsville Playhouse on Saturday night. We also went to Spruce Pines several times. We all loved the BamaQ rest. in Spruce Pines. There is a lot of hiking to be done in the area, many Falls to see and you'll want to take a trip to Mt Mitchell. We don't play golf but this house is less then a mile from the Mt Mitchel golf course. It was the vacation we needed. No cell phone service or internet coverage and that was GREAT!! They do have cable TV, a phone in the house and the ability to go to the realestate office (abt 1 mile away) and use their wireless. It was the 1st time we have rented a house for vacation and David Chandler made it super easy.
Activity and Interests
Within walking distance
Fishing in South Toe River
Golf Course pro shop
Setrock and Roaring Fork waterfalls
Pisgah National Forest
Things to Do Nearby
Within 5-10 miles
* Carolina Hemlocks Recreation Park - Operated by Pisgah National Forest, Hiking trails, terrific swimming hole in summer, RV and tent camping, tubing in the river, great trout fishing in the South Toe River.
* Mount Mitchell Golf Course - Rated 4 1/2 stars by Golf Digest one of the best public courses in the mountains, centered on the South Toe River which comes into play on almost every fairway on the back nine.
* Black Mountain Campground - Within the Pisgah National Forest and along the South Toe River watershed on Mount Mitchell's eastern slope. Hunting, Fishing, waterfalls, hiking trails, RV dump station, RV and tent camping.
* Setrock Waterfalls - located at Black Mountain Campground, about 1/2 mile hike, cascading waterfall of over one hundred feet.
* Little Switzerland -- quaint shops, great restuarants
* Roaring Fork Waterfall - only 1/2 mile from Mount Mitchell Golf Course, one of the most spectacular falls in the area, and a real hidden gem. Its 1/2 mile hike up a forest road, nearly level hike.
Within 10-20 miles
* Burnsville and its quaint old town square.
* Penland School of Crafts - I like to call it the "Juliard" of craft arts. Its located between Burnsville and Spruce Pine, and has drawn many artists to the area. We may have the largest concentration of craft artists in the Eastern US.
* Numerous Craft Studios scattered throughout the area
* Mount Mitchell State Park - and home of four of the top ten mountain peaks in the US, including Mount Mitchell which is the highest peak East of the Rockies.
* Lynnville Falls - a popular tourist destination
* Mast General Store
* Roan Mountain State Park - popular for its hundreds of acres of bald mountain covered in pink flowering native Rhododendrons. The Rhododendron festival is generally in late June at the town of Bakersville.
* Lake Lure near Black Mountain, wonderful mountain lake with high-end mountain homes and estates
* Lake James near Marion, boating and fishing, public access
* Chimney Rock, now publicly owned, a natural wonder and great hiking spot.
* Black Mountain, a town renowned for its small shops and restuarants, great place to spend an afternoon.
Within 45-60 miles
* Asheville - One of the "happiest" towns in America, a true mountain town with a lively art culture.
* Biltmore Estate - The largest private residence in America built by George Vanderbuilt, and now open for tours, one of the premier tourist destinations in the East.
* Blowing Rock, a wonderful mountain retreat with great shopping.
* Wolf Laurel Ski Resort
* Grandfather Mountain - biosphere and privately owned park (open to public). Excellent hiking, wildlife park, etc.
* Beech Mountain Ski Resort
* Sugar Mountain Ski Resort
|Rate Period||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
My Standard Rate
3 night minimum stay
* Approximate monthly rate. Actual rate will depend on the days of the month you stay.
Additional information about rental rates
|Property Damage Protection||$59|
Cleaning Fee is $75
Pets are $50 non-refundable
Manager's Cancellation Policy
- Available arrival
- Available stay (no arrival)
- Air Conditioning
- Clothes Dryer
- Hair Dryer
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided
- Living Room
- Towels Provided
- Washing Machine
- Coffee Maker
- Dishes & Utensils
- Kitchen ...
- Pantry Items
- Dining Area
- DVD Player
- Ping Pong Table
- Satellite / Cable
- Video Library
- children welcome
- non smoking only
- pets considered
- wheelchair inaccessible
- Mountain View
- Water View
- autumn foliage
- scenic drives
- sight seeing
Local Services & Businesses
- medical services
Sports & Adventure Activities
- fly fishing
- golf privileges optional
- mountain biking
- mountain climbing
- water tubing
- 2400 sq. ft.
- Bathroom 1
- Bathroom 2
- Bathroom 3
- Master bathroom Shower/tub combo Bathroom main floor No tub or shower Bathroom downstairs walkin shower.
- 3 Bedrooms, Sleeps 8
- Bedroom 1
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Master Bedroom 1 Queen guest bedroom 1 Queen guest bedroom 2 twins
- Deck / Patio
- Outdoor Grill
- Guests provide their own meals
- Central Air/Heat Fireplace in Master Bedroom Game Room with Ping Pong Fronts on South Toe River Granite Counters Hardwood Floors Cable TV Telephone New appliances