House, 5 Bedrooms, 3 Baths, 10 Sleeps
Perched on the banks of one of the finest trout streams in North America, Imagine stepping from your back door out onto rocks jutting out into the South Toe River and dropping a fly into pristine waters just yards outside Pisgah National Forest lands! You'll dream of native brookies tugging on your line as you listen to the rushing water all night long. Like rain on the roof, its just loud enough to prick your conscientiousness, but soft enough to lull you to sleep at night. Goldfinch Cabin is two homes in one, with 3 bedrooms upstairs, and two downstairs.
Each level has a kitchen and living room area, and a large bonus area over the garage. Lots of space, perhaps 3500 square feet, and huge decks provide expansive views of the river below. The home comes with pool table, huge parking area, and all the appliances you would find at home, including dish washer, washer and dryer, microwave, etc. '
Step out your door and within a hundred yards you can walk directly into Pisgah National Forest trails leading to Black Mountain Campground, Setrock Falls, and linking trails to Mt Mitchell itself. Within two miles you can visit two outstanding waterfalls (you can drive to within a half mile and then walk), also Mt Mitchell Golf Course with its restuarant and lounge. In the evening, shoot a game of pool, or sit on the deck and listen to the river rush by.
The cabin is only 2 miles off the Blue Ridge Parkway at milepost #344, and is about as close to Mt Mitchell as you can get without camping in a tent!! You're also only an hour from ASheville and its Biltmore Estate
Don't let someone else get your reservation while you're waiting for us to respond to your email. We take all major credit cards. Make your reservation now, don't be left looking for second best.
Beautiful place to get away.
About the Owner
About Henry Harnage
We have been serving the Burnsville area with vacation rentals since 2007.
Henry Harnage purchased this house in 2005
(7 traveler reviews)
I think the best thing about this house is the natural setting. If you're looking to visit nature, this may be the house for you. The river is great, the woods and walking trails are great and the views of the mountains are great.
The house is situated close to the river so the deck overlooks it. Across the river is a road, but it seemed to be lightly traveled, although we were there in the off-season. There is a house across the road that spoils the view a little bit, but it's not too close. The front yard is large and somewhat flat. Our kids played football and frisbee extensively in the yard. The neighbors are not too close and there is a good bit of vegetation between the lots. At the end of the street is a walking trail that meanders along the river and leads to Black Mountain campground. There's also a golf course, but that was closed during our stay due to the season.
The house itself has a lot of space for big groups. It could use some updating, but is certainly adequate. The lower level is a basement, but with windows and walkouts so it's not too dark. The house has a great room and kitchen on each of the two levels. Downstairs has a bath and two bedrooms. Upstairs has 2 baths with 3 bedrooms. I think several of the sofas pulled out, but we didn't need them so I'm not positive. Downstairs is a combination pool/ping pong table. All of the bathrooms are spacious. Personally I question the use of space for the giant hot tubs and relatively small showers, but I understand how some people would prefer that. The TVs are small. The one downstairs is maybe 24" tube TV. The upstairs one is probably around 30" flat panel. You probably don't want to plan to watch a big game here. Having two kitchens is nice and they both include the full gamut of appliances, but neither is a large kitchen. There definitely are not enough dishes/utensils to fully supply two kitchens. We were constantly going from one to the other to get what we needed. I think there was only one real oven pad in the house. The upstairs has wood floors and the basement is carpeted. I only slept in one of the beds--it was reasonably comfortable and I didn't hear any complaints from anyone else.
As I said, we stayed in the off-season so the golf course and associated restaurants were closed, but don't expect to run down the street to get anything you need. It's a mountain drive to get to just about anywhere.
Beautiful place to get away.
We had a great time during our stay. The weather was perfect and the leaves were beginning to change so the yard was beautiful! The kids had a great time playing in the river. The ping pong table was a hit as well. Thanks for sharing your home with us!
OUR STAY AT GOLDFINCH
We enjoyed our stay at Goldfinch. It was roomy, beautiful area overlooking Toe River and close to walking trails and Mt. Mitchell. It was a great place for a family get together. We had two other houses in the area for a total of 21 people. However, there are a few things I want to bring to your attention.
1. The downstairs kitchen was not stocked with adequate knives, forks, spoons and other cooking needs.
2..There were only two towels in the downstairs bath. We had to borrow from upstairs.
3. The hair dryer in the downstairs bath didn't work
4. Several people had allergies caused by mold or something of the like in the house. After leaving the house, all cleared up.
Again, we enjoyed our stay and it is a great house with beautiful views.
Thanks for your assistance. Sincerely, Harold L. Lile
Tel: 919-491-3083 (cell) 919-383-1692 (home)
A great week in a great house and location
Our family of 13 thoroughly enjoyed our vacation week. We explored nearby waterfalls, swimming holes, and hikes. The house offered many spots indoor and out for playing games, reading books, and painting, plus a deck big enough for us all to eat together, and a well-supplied kitchen (and nearby farm market) for fun cooking. The 10-year-old particularly recommends the pool and ping pong table. The almost 3-year-old recommends exploring the big rocks in the river. We hope to return. Thanks!
Great for a mountain fitness retreat!
I am a blogger and women's fitness trainer and needed a large home to hold our annual summer fitness retreat. This home was the perfect size for our group to be comfortable. It was wonderful to be so close to the trailheads and the backyard was beyond our expectations.
Days spent on the trails and nights sitting on the creek rocks was just the perfect weekend.
The house was clean, with a feeling of vintage and comfort.
The only negative I can think of is the lack of air conditioning. With 11 ladies, it got HOT on the main floor and nights, even with the windows open lead to tossing and turning. But that's part of mountain living ;)
Overall, it was an amazing weekend. Thank you.
What a Place to Re energize with lots of family
This place goes far above my expectations for a vacation rental. It has everything you need to have a great time, water, hiking, privacy, games, views, room, accommodations just to mention a few. It has two Jacuzzi tubs for those that have multiple family members with them. Two car garage to keep our vehicles clean plus lots of parking outside. Lots of beds and plenty of linens. It was very clean and we spent 2 weeks there.
Activity and Interests
Things to Do Nearby
Within 5-20 miles
* Carolina Hemlocks Recreation Park - Operated by Pisgah National Forest, Hiking trails, terrific swimming hole in summer, RV and tent camping, tubing in the river, great trout fishing in the South Toe River.
* Mount Mitchell Golf Course - Rated 4 1/2 stars by Golf Digest one of the best public courses in the mountains, centered on the South Toe River which comes into play on almost every fairway on the back nine.
* Black Mountain Campground - Within the Pisgah National Forest and along the South Toe River watershed on Mount Mitchell's eastern slope. Hunting, Fishing, waterfalls, hiking trails, RV dump station, RV and tent camping.
* Setrock Waterfalls - located at Black Mountain Campground, about 1/2 mile hike, cascading waterfall of over one hundred feet.
* Little Switzerland -- quaint shops, great restuarants
* Roaring Fork Waterfall - only 1/2 mile from Mount Mitchell Golf Course, one of the most spectacular falls in the area, and a real hidden gem. Its 1/2 mile hike up a forest road, nearly level hike.
* Penland School of Crafts - I like to call it the "Juliard" of craft arts. Its located between Burnsville and Spruce Pine, and has drawn many artists to the area. We may have the largest concentration of craft artists in the Eastern US.
* Numerous Craft Studios scattered throughout the area
* Mount Mitchell State Park - and home of four of the top ten mountain peaks in the US, including Mount Mitchell which is the highest peak East of the Rockies.
* Lynnville Falls - a popular tourist destination
* Mast General Store
* Roan Mountain State Park - popular for its hundreds of acres of bald mountain covered in pink flowering native Rhododendrons. The Rhododendron festival is generally in late June at the town of Bakersville.
* Lake Lure near Black Mountain, wonderful mountain lake with high-end mountain homes and estates
* Lake James near Marion, boating and fishing, public access
* Chimney Rock, now publicly owned, a natural wonder and great hiking spot.
* Black Mountain, a town renowned for its small shops and restuarants, great place to spend an afternoon.
Within 30-50 miles
* Asheville - One of the "happiest" towns in America, a true mountain town with a lively art culture.
* Biltmore Estate - The largest private residence in America built by George Vanderbuilt, and now open for tours, one of the premier tourist destinations in the East.
* Blowing Rock, a wonderful mountain retreat with great shopping.
* Wolf Laurel Ski Resort
* Grandfather Mountain - biosphere and privately owned park (open to public). Excellent hiking, wildlife park, etc.
* Beech Mountain Ski Resort
* Sugar Mountain Ski Resort
|Rate Period||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
My Standard Rate
7 night minimum stay
* Approximate monthly rate. Actual rate will depend on the days of the month you stay.
Additional information about rental rates
|Property Damage Protection||$59|
Cleaning fee $100
$59 Security Deposit Insurance --or-- $500 damage deposit before checkin.
Non-refundable pet fee of $75
Manager's Cancellation Policy
- Available arrival
- Available stay (no arrival)
- Air Conditioning ...
- Clothes Dryer
- Linens Provided
- Living Room
- Towels Provided
- Washing Machine
- Coffee Maker
- Dishes & Utensils
- Dishwasher ...
- Kitchen ...
- Microwave ...
- Oven ...
- Pantry Items
- Refrigerator ...
- Stove ...
- Dining ...
- Dining Room
- DVD Player
- Ping Pong Table
- Pool Table
- Satellite / Cable
- Video Library
- children welcome
- non smoking only
- pets considered
- wheelchair inaccessible
- Mountain View
- Water View
- autumn foliage
- horseback riding
- scenic drives
- sight seeing
Local Services & Businesses
- medical services
Sports & Adventure Activities
- fly fishing
- golf privileges optional
- mountain biking
- water tubing
- 2800 sq. ft.
- Bathroom 1
- Bathroom 2
- Bathroom 3
- Bathroom Main 1 Jacuzzi Tub, 1 Shower /tub combo Bathroom Guest 1 Shower/tub combo Bathroom downstairs 1 Jacuzzi Tub , 1Shower/tub combo
- 5 Bedrooms, Sleeps 12
- Bedroom 1
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Bedroom 4
- Bedroom 5
- Master bedroom 1 King Bedroom (2) 1 Queen Bedroom (3) 2 twins Bedroom (4) Downstairs 1 Queen Bedroom (5) Downstairs 2 twins Sleeper Sofa Family room
- Deck / Patio
- Lawn / Garden
- Outdoor Grill ...
- Guests provide their own meals
- Pool Table BBQ 2 Full Kitchens Dishwasher Range Refrigerator Washer & Dryer Waterfront! Decks Microwave Pots & Pans, Dinnerware, etc. Everything furnished for your enjoyment. We take VISA and MASTERCARD.