House, 5 Bedrooms, 3 Baths, 10 Sleeps
Perched on the banks of one of the finest trout streams in North America, Imagine stepping from your back door out onto rocks jutting out into the South Toe River and dropping a fly into pristine waters just yards outside Pisgah National Forest lands! You'll dream of native brookies tugging on your line as you listen to the rushing water all night long. Like rain on the roof, its just loud enough to prick your conscientiousness, but soft enough to lull you to sleep at night. Goldfinch Cabin is two homes in one, with 3 bedrooms upstairs, and two downstairs.
Each level has a kitchen and living room area, and a large bonus area over the garage. Lots of space, perhaps 3500 square feet, and huge decks provide expansive views of the river below. The home comes with pool table, huge parking area, and all the appliances you would find at home, including dish washer, washer and dryer, microwave, etc. '
Step out your door and within a hundred yards you can walk directly into Pisgah National Forest trails leading to Black Mountain Campground, Setrock Falls, and linking trails to Mt Mitchell itself. Within two miles you can visit two outstanding waterfalls (you can drive to within a half mile and then walk), also Mt Mitchell Golf Course with its restuarant and lounge. In the evening, shoot a game of pool, or sit on the deck and listen to the river rush by.
The cabin is only 2 miles off the Blue Ridge Parkway at milepost #344, and is about as close to Mt Mitchell as you can get without camping in a tent!! You're also only an hour from ASheville and its Biltmore Estate
Don't let someone else get your reservation while you're waiting for us to respond to your email. We take all major credit cards. Make your reservation now, don't be left looking for second best.
A great week in a great house and location
About the Owner
We have been serving the Burnsville area with vacation rentals since 2007.
4 based on 4 traveler reviews
A great week in a great house and location
Our family of 13 thoroughly enjoyed our vacation week. We explored nearby waterfalls, swimming holes, and hikes. The house offered many spots indoor and out for playing games, reading books, and painting, plus a deck big enough for us all to eat together, and a well-supplied kitchen (and nearby farm market) for fun cooking. The 10-year-old particularly recommends the pool and ping pong table. The almost 3-year-old recommends exploring the big rocks in the river. We hope to return. Thanks!
Great for a mountain fitness retreat!
I am a blogger and women's fitness trainer and needed a large home to hold our annual summer fitness retreat. This home was the perfect size for our group to be comfortable. It was wonderful to be so close to the trailheads and the backyard was beyond our expectations.
Days spent on the trails and nights sitting on the creek rocks was just the perfect weekend.
The house was clean, with a feeling of vintage and comfort.
The only negative I can think of is the lack of air conditioning. With 11 ladies, it got HOT on the main floor and nights, even with the windows open lead to tossing and turning. But that's part of mountain living ;)
Overall, it was an amazing weekend. Thank you.
What a Place to Re energize with lots of family
This place goes far above my expectations for a vacation rental. It has everything you need to have a great time, water, hiking, privacy, games, views, room, accommodations just to mention a few. It has two Jacuzzi tubs for those that have multiple family members with them. Two car garage to keep our vehicles clean plus lots of parking outside. Lots of beds and plenty of linens. It was very clean and we spent 2 weeks there.
Could have been awesome!
This could have been an awesome house!!It was far more spacious than we thought it would be with 3 different living/entertainment areas,wonderful decks and all we had hoped for in the river running along the back yard (although our 7 year old granddaughter had a serious accident jumping rocks,ouch!), HOWEVER, as we approached the home it's stairs and decks had not been swept and made ready for guest...this was not a problem. The problem came after our great delight at the homes size and layout we realized it had clearly not been adaquatly cleaned.Dirty linens on the beds to be washed, nasty tubs & toilets to be scrubbed,as well as an over accumulation of food, etc. etc. which gave us no place but the counter to store our non perishable groceries. All this kept us up till after 1:00 (not fun after 10 hours travel)This gave the sense that everything might not be very clean. For most in our party it was simply hard to get past...an unfortunate cloud over an otherwise wonderful property.If the property had a good "spring cleaning" I would return in a heart beat, otherwise,no, I could not.
Activity and Interests
Things to Do Nearby
Within 5-20 miles
* Carolina Hemlocks Recreation Park - Operated by Pisgah National Forest, Hiking trails, terrific swimming hole in summer, RV and tent camping, tubing in the river, great trout fishing in the South Toe River.
* Mount Mitchell Golf Course - Rated 4 1/2 stars by Golf Digest one of the best public courses in the mountains, centered on the South Toe River which comes into play on almost every fairway on the back nine.
* Black Mountain Campground - Within the Pisgah National Forest and along the South Toe River watershed on Mount Mitchell's eastern slope. Hunting, Fishing, waterfalls, hiking trails, RV dump station, RV and tent camping.
* Setrock Waterfalls - located at Black Mountain Campground, about 1/2 mile hike, cascading waterfall of over one hundred feet.
* Little Switzerland -- quaint shops, great restuarants
* Roaring Fork Waterfall - only 1/2 mile from Mount Mitchell Golf Course, one of the most spectacular falls in the area, and a real hidden gem. Its 1/2 mile hike up a forest road, nearly level hike.
* Penland School of Crafts - I like to call it the "Juliard" of craft arts. Its located between Burnsville and Spruce Pine, and has drawn many artists to the area. We may have the largest concentration of craft artists in the Eastern US.
* Numerous Craft Studios scattered throughout the area
* Mount Mitchell State Park - and home of four of the top ten mountain peaks in the US, including Mount Mitchell which is the highest peak East of the Rockies.
* Lynnville Falls - a popular tourist destination
* Mast General Store
* Roan Mountain State Park - popular for its hundreds of acres of bald mountain covered in pink flowering native Rhododendrons. The Rhododendron festival is generally in late June at the town of Bakersville.
* Lake Lure near Black Mountain, wonderful mountain lake with high-end mountain homes and estates
* Lake James near Marion, boating and fishing, public access
* Chimney Rock, now publicly owned, a natural wonder and great hiking spot.
* Black Mountain, a town renowned for its small shops and restuarants, great place to spend an afternoon.
Within 30-50 miles
* Asheville - One of the "happiest" towns in America, a true mountain town with a lively art culture.
* Biltmore Estate - The largest private residence in America built by George Vanderbuilt, and now open for tours, one of the premier tourist destinations in the East.
* Blowing Rock, a wonderful mountain retreat with great shopping.
* Wolf Laurel Ski Resort
* Grandfather Mountain - biosphere and privately owned park (open to public). Excellent hiking, wildlife park, etc.
* Beech Mountain Ski Resort
* Sugar Mountain Ski Resort
|Rate Period||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
My Standard Rate
3 night minimum stay
* Approximate monthly rate. Actual rate will depend on the days of the month you stay.
Additional information about rental rates
|Property Damage Protection||$59|
Cleaning fee $100
$59 Security Deposit Insurance --or-- $500 damage deposit before checkin.
Non-refundable pet fee of $75
Manager's Cancellation Policy
- Available arrival
- Available stay (no arrival)
- Air Conditioning ...
- Clothes Dryer
- Linens Provided
- Living Room
- Towels Provided
- Washing Machine
- Coffee Maker
- Dishes & Utensils
- Dishwasher ...
- Kitchen ...
- Microwave ...
- Oven ...
- Pantry Items
- Refrigerator ...
- Stove ...
- Dining ...
- Dining Room
- DVD Player
- Ping Pong Table
- Pool Table
- Satellite / Cable
- Video Library
- children welcome
- non smoking only
- pets considered
- wheelchair inaccessible
- Mountain View
- Water View
- autumn foliage
- horseback riding
- scenic drives
- sight seeing
Local Services & Businesses
- medical services
Sports & Adventure Activities
- fly fishing
- golf privileges optional
- mountain biking
- water tubing
- 2800 sq. ft.
- Bathroom 1
- Bathroom 2
- Bathroom 3
- Bathroom Main 1 Jacuzzi Tub, 1 Shower /tub combo Bathroom Guest 1 Shower/tub combo Bathroom downstairs 1 Jacuzzi Tub , 1Shower/tub combo
- 5 Bedrooms, Sleeps 12
- Bedroom 1
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Bedroom 4
- Bedroom 5
- Master bedroom 1 King Bedroom (2) 1 Queen Bedroom (3) 2 twins Bedroom (4) Downstairs 1 Queen Bedroom (5) Downstairs 2 twins Sleeper Sofa Family room
- Deck / Patio
- Lawn / Garden
- Outdoor Grill ...
- Guests provide their own meals
- Pool Table BBQ 2 Full Kitchens Dishwasher Range Refrigerator Washer & Dryer Waterfront! Decks Microwave Pots & Pans, Dinnerware, etc. Everything furnished for your enjoyment. We take VISA and MASTERCARD.