House, 3 Bedrooms, 2.5 Baths, 8 Sleeps
Big Pine Trout Farm will capture your imagination and provide you with the tranquil and peaceful experience that you have always longed for. You will create your own memorable experience from the moment you arrive, catch a trophy trout in our crystal clear mountain stream, soar over the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains, take a brisk hike, or simply relax in the tranquil mountain air on the backyard hammock… The possibilities are endless – either close by or within an hours’ drive.
You need to stay here!
Jim and Brenda
About the Owner
Lifetime angler. Entertaining host.
Guestbook comments from the owner
We came back from our trip to Big Pine feeling so renewed -- it was just a perfect getaway for an overworked couple! The fishing was wonderful even though we came during one of the coldest winters I can remember. It was just a great week -- we caught several 20+ inch fish; Rainbows, Goldens and Brookies -- I think wild brookies -- just beautiful!
I loved the house -- it was so comfortable and had everything you could possibly need. Cable TV, a fully outfitted kitchen and plenty of room for gear. If I didn't want to fish all day every day, I would have been happy just to kick back and relax at "home".
Raymond was there anytime we needed anything -- just a phone call away -- and really made us feel welcome. I hope you will tell him how much I appreciate his friendly assistance with everything and patient answers to all of my questions about trout farming. It's fascinating, really.
I can't wait to come back in the spring for some good dry fly fishing, and even though our trip was almost a month ago I find myself thinking about it every day and it makes me smile.
See you soon, and thanks again for having a truly beautiful place.
All the best,
Nancy and JP
2 traveler reviews
You need to stay here!
I could use numerous adjectives to describe our stay at Big Pine Trout Farmhouse, but I think "perfect" is the best word. This house is beautiful! We loved sitting on the front porch and enjoying the sounds of the creek and nature (and no mosquitos!!). Jim and Brenda are excellent hosts - they not only made us feel welcome in their home, but left us with fresh vegetables and blackberries, blackberries and more blackberries. The kitchen is very well-stocked, and a grocery store is a few minutes away. This house is a great example of what makes VRBO so awesome; absolutely, no comparison to staying in a hotel. We felt like we were staying in a friend's home. I can't say enough about our stay here. We had a great time and hated to leave!
We enjoyed every minute at this wonderful house. Directions were a little tricky (Would not advise following GPS,as we had quite an adventure, and limited cell service). Plenty of room for myself, husband, three sons, and their girlfriends. Took quick-fix casserole ingredients and groceries from home, and appreciated such a well-appointed kitchen. Lots of pots, pans, bowls, servingware, etc. Played games the first night, enjoyed a movie the second. But the highlight was, of coarse, the fishing! Had the time of our lives catching those beautiful trout! Came home with so many fish and memories! Raymond was so accomodating and gracious. We all enjoyed his company & advise. Loved the Home Place in Catawba for a fantastic dinner (Don't miss it!). Hoping to return this spring for another round!
From the Owner
“Beautiful, peaceful . . . "your own private Idaho"”
Activity and Interests
Mrs Vitale from Illinois calls this " The prettiest part of the country she's ever seen"!
Don’t Just Stand There, Do Something..Or Not!
Our property is a great place to set up basecamp for seasonal outdoor excursions or drop the keys in a basket and never leave. Your choice is always the right one!
Hiking-The Virginia Highlands
* Leisurely Big Pine jaunt on our streamside groomed trail-Easy For Everyone
* Dragon’s Tooth on the way to Big Pine from I-81 (15 miles) on 311
* McAfee’s Knobat top of Catawba Mtn on way to Big Pine from I-81(5 Miles) on 311
Golfing- The Best Terrain in The East
* Hanging Rock-”A Real Gem” same exit as New Castle/Salem 311-Roanoke College home course
* Blue Hills-” A Local Roanoke Value”
* Greenbrier “Home Of the PGA’s “Greenbrier Classic” a 59 won it last year
* Homestead-”Just The Oldest Continuously Operating Course in The USA
Cycling-Olympic training destination for Canadian cycling teams. World Class Inclines.
Soaring-World Reknowned Gliderport,BLUE RIDGE SOARING SOCIETY,Membership Required
Virginia Tech Football-South on beautiful Rte 42 about an hour and NO I-81 traffic
Close to Roanoke and Salem
Explore Historic New Castle, Virginia and The Old Brick Hotel our Historical Society
Paint Bank General Store 25 gorgeous miles West of of Big Pine for “The Best American Bison Sandwich Ever”, a great place for kids to run around,too!
The Home Place Restaurant – A quick 15 minute drive for a local home cooked all you can eat country meal. Rave Reviews! Check hours early in the week:)
IGA Supermarket in DOWNTOWN New Castle. Very Close,Very Good! Fried Chicken is "The Bomb"! Shop when you arrive, no need to haul groceries.
SUBWAY-Downtown New Castle across from IGA
|Rate Period||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
My Standard Rate
Jan 18 2016 - Dec 31 2016
2 night minimum stay
* Approximate monthly rate. Actual rate will depend on the days of the month you stay.
Additional information about rental rates
|Cleaning Fee||$100 + Tax|
Nightly Rate: $300/night; Weekly Rate: $1800/week
2 night minimum
5% Occupancy Fee for Craig County
Monthly Rate: $4500 - $4500
Big Pine Trout Farmhouse has 2 night minimum @ $300.00/night, 1800/week, 4500/month plus applicable tax and $100.00 Cleaning Fee. Plus 5.3% sales tax and 5% occupancy tax.
Fishing Fees are Additional $60.00 per person per day ONLY if renting Farmhouse.
All 12 acres and Meadow Creek will be your own private Idaho.
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- 50% refund if canceled at least 7 days before arrival date.
- 100% refund if canceled at least 14 days before arrival date.
- Available arrival
- Available stay (no arrival)
From the Owner
“Fish for the day or make it a weekend outing. Beautiful upscale farmhouse with mountain view.”
- Sports & Activities
- Dining Area
- Mountain View
Sports & Adventure Activities
- Bathroom 1
- Bathroom 2
- Half Bathroom
- 3 Bedrooms, Sleeps 8
- Bedroom 1
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Guests provide their own meals
- The Farm House Privacy, comfort and peace await you at Big Pine Trout Farm, located in historic New Castle, Virginia, just minutes away from the Great Eastern Divide. Supremely comfortable, a trip to the spacious and airy Farmhouse is designed for relaxation, inspiration, and renewal to both body and spirit; its beauty connects you with the surrounding environment while ensuring your comfort and convenience. Throughout your visit, our proprietors will ensure that your stay is perfect and enjoyable in every way. Upscale contemporary farmhouse, private spring fed trout stream, beautiful view of the Virginia mountains, nature trails, blackberry picking (June-August), fully furnished. Take a Video Tour on the Media Stream Page of our website. * Accommodates 6-8 * 3 Bedrooms; 1 down, 2 up (1K, 1Q, 2D Bunk, 2T) * 2 ½ Baths (King down has private bath/shower) * HD 46” Samsung TV w/ Direct TV * WIFI Internet * Kitchen/dining combo, DW, Gas Range, MW * Washer/Dryer * Enclosed Back Porch * Open Back Patio * WEBER Gas Outdoor Grill * Picnic Tables * Fire Pit * Great Room Design w/ Cathedral Ceilings * Spiral Staircase * Board Games, Yard Games, Puzzles, Magazines * No pets in house (Upscale on-site dog kennel) * Non Smoking * Linen and bath package included * Welcome package included with snacks, coffee and soft drinks 2 night minimum * $300/Night,$1500/Week,$4500/Month plus tax and $100.00 cleaning Fee No Pets Inside Please!