House, 4 Bedrooms, 2 Baths, 12 Sleeps
- English, english
Max guests: 13
Canceled bookings will not receive a refund
I had my summer work outing at Thomas's home. Beautiful location on the water, but not close to any beach which they advertise. When asked where the closest beach was I received no response. Wasn't a huge deal wish I had just known where the beaches were in location to the house as our outing was for a beach party. Amazing views, plenty of parking, huge deck looking out to the water, would definitely rent this house again! Includes sheets and towels, but also a bit upsetting you are expected to wash dry all and replace.
I'm glad you enjoyed the house. This is right on Sandhills beach. You lose the beach on high tide but the main beach 200 yards to the right and 200 to the left are there at all times. Most of scituate beaches are like this.
Large house, beautiful view, great location
We rented this house with a large group of us and it couldn’t have been more perfect. The master bedroom is huge and overlooks the ocean with a beautiful sea breeze as well. There’s one bed in there but you can easily fit another 4 people on the floor. There was a bunk bed and single in the other room upstairs with room for another 2 on the ground and a full bed in the other room with room for 1-2 on the floor. A downstairs room was also there with a double bed which was great. Huge couches as well in the living room where you can fit another 2 people sleeping. Came with all linens and towels and everything for cooking. Great location - quiet public beach access on either side of it, just a little rocky. Very quaint/quiet area. Although the house doesn’t have direct beach access, it has a huge outdoor deck with a nice grill and table/chairs to lounge around in. We were also able to fit 5 cars in front, but I think more than that would be tight. There’s a downtown area about 1 mile away which is where we were able to go to the market, dunkin donuts, few restaurants and bars. We walked there at night (about 25 min). With a large group, we obviously Have a lot of trash and needed to shove it all in the side of the house where the barrels are. It gets picked up Tuesdays. Thomas was great too he walked us through everything over the phone when we were checking in on Friday and was available all weekend long. Overall, this was a great place for our weekend work networking retreat and we recommend it to everyone! Definitely would stay here again for it.
Stayed here prior to a fishing trip from Scituate Harbor. Great location, home was as advertised. Thomas was a friendly host who walked me through check in and check out process over the phone.
I'm really happy you enjoyed the house. You left the house exactly how we hoped it would be left.
Beautiful home and fantastic location!
My friends and I had an absolutely wonderful time at this waterfront home. Thomas is a fantastic host and the home is an ideal summer getaway. The bedrooms are spacious and the amenities are fantastic. You can't beat the newly renovated deck with an outdoor grill overlooking the water. I highly recommend!
Poor Communication, Bad Property - Not as Advertised!
I would not recommend this property for the following reasons:
1) SHEETS NOT CLEAN - It did not seem like the sheets were cleaned before our arrival. The sheets looked and felt very old, were threadbare and stained, and definitely had a bit of a smell. When I notified the owner of our dissatisfaction with the sheets (as well as the other items noted in this review), the owner decided that it was the appropriate time to inform me of the 'house rules', which required that I wash the sheets and make the beds at the end of our stay. Without advertising this requirement in the listing, it is unreasonable ask guests to do laundry and remake the beds after their stay (before 12pm checkout). And to only notify the guests once they have arrived and reached out to the owner letting him know the sheets were not clean is absurd and felt retaliatory. It's now obvious why the sheets were not clean when we arrived.
2) BAD COMMUNICATION - The owner left NO information about the property. I've stayed at several rentals and in every case there was a book or note with house info upon arrival - there was nothing like this in this house or on the VRBO app. There was not even a WiFi password, which was vital because there was no cell reception in the house. Additionally, the owner only informed us of his expectations of the guests after they arrived (see above).
3) PROPERTY NOT CLEAN - When we arrived, the house was very dirty. Floors were covered in sand and trash cans in the house were not empty. The property was obviously not cleaned before our arrival.
4) INACCURATE LISTING - This property was clearly not renovated in 2018. The deck looked new, so maybe that was done recently, but the rest of the house was dirty and run-down. Fixtures were broken, carpets were stained and generally everything felt very grimy.
5) NOT STOCKED - The house did not have enough toilet paper and was missing basics like trash bags. We had to purchase additional TP, trash bags, paper towels, etc. upon our arrival. I brought this up to the owner and his response was pretty rude. If the owner wants the guests to provide these basic items themselves, it should be stated on the booking site.
Between the condition of the house and our interactions with the owner, our stay was miserable. I felt held hostage by the security deposit so I was unable to take sufficient action during our stay. I hope this review provides transparency into what is expected when you stay at this property.
Hi so I'm sad that they didn't enjoy my house. I will try to improve on this as it's first summer doing it as a 3 day rental. The sheets are done by the renter due to checkout time of noon. Check in time is 3pm so cleaning lady needs all of the 3 hours to clean. The was renovated in 2018 not whole house. So I don't charge for cleaning lady and I have never rented a house where you don't leave house in same condition as you came in. So I haven't received any other complaints.
Great location; no frills
Stayed with girlfriends for the weekend. Cons: Wish we had known to bring our own linens as we spent all of Sunday morning doing laundry and making beds as requested. There should be an option to pay more for follow-up cleaning which we certainly would have done. Garbage from previous guests was piled up and rotting in the heat which wasn't awesome. A stock of toilet paper would have a been a basic bonus to have in the house. House needs a little work but that all being said, the house is perfect for a big group and steps from the beach. The deck is amazing and has a grill. Plenty of parking and fun bar/restaurant about a mile away. I'd say raise the price a hair and include more comprehensive cleaning so guests don't have to spend their vacation time doing that.
Thank you for your review. I agree with the fact that we need better communication. Homeaway doesn't allow any contact with customers until fully rented. The issues are something we always look to address. Bringing own sheets bring on its own challenges. Would need to strip sheets off bed when you arrive and put your sheets on. Then strip off your sheets and make the beds back up. Trash is town pickup. Comes only once a week (Tuesday) so there is going to be a overlap. Not sure how to prevent that. The cleaning lady only has 3 hours to clean which she needs all of that to clean. I would need to have a earlier check out time if beds are involved. So kind of a catch 22. But will definitely try to improve. Thanks for your input.
walking distance to harbor/lighthouse great for fishing. beach is quiet great views also great for biking or jogging/walking. alo kids park right accross the street.