House, 4 Bedrooms, 2 Baths, 8 Sleeps
I am writing this Description on February 24, 2016:
Beginning this month, VacationRentals.com is charging a service fee to renters ranging from 4% to 10% of the rental cost. As I already pay an annual fee to be listed and publicized by Vacation Rentals, I see no need to create such a fee and to charge you, the customer, that cost. If you are interested in reducing or eliminating this new fee to you, please discuss that with me.
My home at 911 Benton Avenue in Cape May, NJ is available to rent for the 2016 Season which traditionally begins in June and runs through Labor Day weekend. I will consider renting for "a few days" in the early/late season.
As it is my home, I am there sometimes for several months and plan to be there in March, 2016 until the first guests arrive.
911 Benton Avenue is designated 'Historic, Out of District'. by the City of Cape May. My home was constructed in 1928 by the widow of Col. Henry Sawyer who, in 1876, built and owned the nearby Chalfonte Hotel. His Civil War photo hangs in the upstairs hallway. He is the fellow in the center with the white gloves.
Parking in Cape May can be difficult but you will note that Benton Avenue has no parking meters. I also have a long driveway and several cars can park bumper to bumper.
I am three short blocks to the beach. Once at the beach, you are one block to the Arcade. You are three blocks walk to the Historic District.
911 Benton sleeps eight in four spacious upstairs bedrooms each with a paddle fan: two queen beds, one full size bed and two single beds.Two full bathrooms (no bathtub) plus an enclosed outdoor shower with hot water and most importantly, a wonderful front porch with rockers.
Please note the following:
- a quality Weber gas barbecue is in the back yard with outdoor furniture;
- the driveway can stack four cars. No lawn parking is allowed. Benton Avenue has street parking with no parking meters. (rare in Cape May)
- my side yard is filled with flowers, birdbaths and birds! Cape May is on the bird flyway!
- Three short blocks to the beach…you can hear the ocean from the porch! The windows open so open the windows and hear the ocean…enjoy the breeze…see how long you can go without the AC on….try the paddle fans….relax………
- Open front porch with rockers! Excellent dining area! Rare to have mosquitos.
- No pets nor smoking on the property. Thank you
- Central AC unit. House will get cool but not frigid. With the ocean breeze and the paddle fans, you may never need to turn on the AC. But if you do, be gentle with it.
- Ample hot water for showers as hot water heater is very large.
- No Beach chairs, umbrellas, surf boards nor bikes are provided so bring your own or rent them. (However I do have some chairs which folks have left and those are available)
- I have the following appliances: dishwasher, gas stove, coffee maker, toaster, electric hot water pot, microwave, blender, mixer, very sharp knives, ample dish ware, washer/dryer, vacuums. If you see it, you can use it but please clean whatever you use before you put it back. Please treat items as if they were your own.
- Dining room table easily sits eight and we have sat 12 with a slight squeeze.
- 40 inch SMART TV; WiFi; iPod hookup (provide your own iPod); CD player and lots of CDs; DVD player and a selection of DVDs. Public library has DVDs and renters can use the library at no charge!
- It is an easy walk to the beach for both adults and children. The Mall is about six blocks; coffee shops and bike rentals are nearby on Beach Avenue
- I create birdhouses from vintage wooden shutters. A sample photo is in this listing of some houses. Some are for sale at the house and also at the Chalfonte Hotel where I worked a few years as the handyman.
- Benton Avenue is a low traffic street…nice neighbors…many non-renters on the street. Please respect and contain the noise level especially in the evenings.
- Enjoy the artwork!
Finally, please remember that this is my home. I am renting again for 2016 and check the calendar with this listing for available dates.
If you have any questions, e-mail is the best way to reach me. Thank you!
February 24, 2016
Un endroit magnifique!
About the Owner
Handyman at the Chalfonte Hotel for three years where I began creating birdhouses . As of 2015, I have created over 400 houses.
I do family genealogy as a hobby and the Riehl Family dates to 1802 in Philadelphia and actually before that time…I have confirmed to that date. My great-great grandfather lived at 206 E Girard and is buried in Cedar Hill Cemetery. Lt & Adj John S Riehl. It is amazing that my handwriting is quite similar to his though I don't have his flourishing signature.
4.2 based on 5 traveler reviews
Our experience with Jack started off great, but quickly he turned in to a disaster to work with. We made a deal with him to pay half of the rent in advance and half when we got to his place. We've been burned in the past, and since we made a deal with him off the VRBO site, we wanted to protect ourselves. A month or so leading up to our stay he started emailing us and asking us for money. We referenced the email conversations that we had detailing our deal, but he wasn't having it. He threatened multiple times to refund our money leaving us with no place to stay weeks before our friend's wedding. That was just the beginning. After our stay he complained about everything, from the chairs not being properly lined up on his front porch to his bed skirts being ruffled. We did our very best to leave things as we found them and to clean up after ourselves, but he was a stickler. If you rent your house and make lots of money off someone, you should be willing to put in some of your own effort in to maintaining it. The house wasn't spotless to begin with, so his expectations were a little inconstant for his tenants compared to himself. I don't know what else he expected from us. If you are going to work with Jack go through the VRBO website and not him personally. That way you have some repercussions if you decide to back out or your experience was as poor as ours. Also, realize that he will try to make you use his friend to clean his place for $100. This was an extra 10% on top of the price we paid.
Un endroit magnifique!
Une charmante et accueillante maison idéalement située pour découvrir tous les charmes de Cape May. À deux pas de la mer et du quartier historique. Une vaste galerie couverte pour profiter de la belle et chaude température du New Jersey. Une grande table et 4 chambres à coucher à l'étage pour passer du bon temps en famille ou entre amis. Nous y avons séjourné à 2 reprises et comptons bien y revenir. Vraiment une super location! Si vous le pouvez, amenez vos vélos. Très agréable en famille pour découvrir l'endroit. Ne manquez pas non plus le West Cape May Farmers Market ni le Movie at the beach!
Our family had a great time at this home. Maybe not the #1 concern on everyone's list, but as someone who likes to grill every night, I must say I was very happy with the cleanliness of the grill. Cleanest rental home grill I've ever come across.
Now, to the rest of the house. The porch is spacious with a table and plenty of chairs, and we spent a ton of time out there relaxing in the day and the evening. The backyard is beautiful and my young son loved running around back there.
Inside, everything is clean, comfortable, and in great working order. What more can you ask for, right? Kitchen has everything you need and everything works easily. Big TV and strong consistent wireless. A nice big dining room table if you want to eat inside. And good comfortable beds.
Last but not least, just a few blocks from the beach.
Ideal Family Rental in Cape May
We stayed at this Benton Avenue home the past two summers and will be returning in 2014. The location is great, just a short walk to the beach. It is also less than a 10 minute walk to get into town.
The house is always in great condition. The bedrooms are spacious. The bathrooms are very modern. The kitchen has plenty of space to do cooking. We love the dining room and the large table for our family meals. We usually barbeque a few meals on the outdoor grill.
The living room has plenty of seating. There was a new sofa this year in the living room. The living room has a large flat screen TV on the wall. The whole house has wireless that you can easily connect to.
My favorite part of the house is the front porch. It is the perfect place for coffee in the morning and drinks in the evening.
The house is always clean. The owner is a pleasure to deal with. I can't wait to return in August.
review of benton
We really enjoyed this house. It is in great condition, clean and very conveniently located just three blocks from the beach! We could hear the ocean from the front porch which was wonderful to sit on and relax! The outdoor shower was also a plus as well as the grill to cook meals. We were in constant contact with the owner up to our occupancy and he was wonderful to work with and communicated to us what we needed to do while we stayed there.
Activity and Interests
Three blocks to the beach. Beautiful sunsets. Read a book on the porch. Birding.
|Rate Period||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event|
Jun 25 2016 - Aug 26 2016
7 night minimum stay
Aug 27 2016 - Sep 9 2016
7 night minimum stay
Additional information about rental rates
Weekly Rates beginning on Saturday at 2pm to the following Saturday at 10am
I am fully rented through August 30, 2014.
I sometimes rent for weekends usually arriving on Friday evening and departing on Sunday. Prices vary depending on dates. Contact me for available dates.
My home is open 12 months of the year as it is my residence. Any questions please email me. Thank you
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- Available arrival
- Available stay (no arrival)
- Away From It All
- Dining Room
- children welcome ...
- non smoking only ...
- pets not allowed
- wheelchair inaccessible
Local Services & Businesses
- fitness center
- massage therapist
- medical services
Sports & Adventure Activities
- surf fishing
- water tubing
- Bathroom 1
- Bathroom 2
- 4 Bedrooms, Sleeps 8
- Bedroom 1
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Bedroom 4
- Three queen beds and twins (i.e. two single beds_ No sleep sofa.
- Golf ...
- Lawn / Garden ...
- Guests provide their own meals
- > SMART TV > Washer/dryer > outdoor clothes line & clothespins > Gas stove > Toaster > Microwave oven > Blender > Outdoor gas barbeque grill & tools > Coffee maker > electric water kettle > Dishes, silverware, cups, glasses > 40 inch flat screen HD TV > Netflix ready TV > DVD player > CD player > WiFi > outdoor patio table with chairs > front porch with many rocking chairs > flower gardens throughout the year > no parking meters on Benton Avenue > ample parking in driveway