House, 5 Bedrooms, 3.5 Baths, 14 Sleeps
Blue Hill is a charming historic country house on 36 acres of wooded land located in historic Clarke County, Virginia. The perfect getaway for everyone! You will feel that you are in a different time and place!
Blue Hill is located about an hour and a half west of Washington, DC, 20 minutes west of Middleburg, VA and 20 minutes east of Winchester, VA. The Blue Ridge Mountains separate Clarke County from Loudoun County & the Shenandoah River follows along the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains in Clarke County.
Blue Hill is perfect for family reunions, birthdays, bachelor or bachelorette parties, weekend getaways, retreats and much more.
• a large wrap around porch, a deck with a hot tub, a gas and charcoal grill
• central air/heat
• Upstairs there are five bedrooms - Two large master bedrooms with in-suite bathrooms plus three additional bedrooms and another bathroom
• The kitchen has granite counter-tops and is fully equipped with a state of the art coffee machine and all cooking utensils, flatware, dinnerware, cups, glasses, etc.
• The dining room seats up to twelve people.
• The living room is large with comfortable seating and a Smart TV and DVD equipped with Netflix, Hulu, and more.
We are your base to explore Clarke County and Frederick County and all it has to offer - historic sites, Shenandoah National Park, the Shenandoah River, Sky Meadows Park, wineries, golfing, monastery, hiking, antique shops, shopping, thrifting, Museum of the Shenandoah Valley, Locke Country Store, Watermelon Park, and Arboretum of Virginia to name just a few ---- or just explore the picturesque country roads with views of farms & mountains or take a drive down scenic Skyline Drive. Plan a day trip to Shenandoah Nat'l Park, Harper's Ferry, Front Royal, Shepherdstown, WV or Charles Town WV.
Or just relax, enjoy a glass of Virginia wine with a book or sit in the hot tub. Come join us - we have something for everyone!
Keywords: farm house Virginia, weekend getaway, weekend retreat, Skyline Drive, Shenandoah River, historic, nature, hiking
About the Owner
Guestbook comments from the owner
Thank you for the enjoyment of your beautiful home . We love history and loved the experience of staying in a "historic" home. Just beautiful. We had plenty of space and plenty to do.
Thank yo so much!
4.8 based on 16 traveler reviews
Thank you for a great couple of days away from the world. I was a little skeptical booking the house due to the price compared to the size. I wasn't disappointed, the house was a fantastic value. The house is old and rustic where it needs to be and current and modern where it needs to be. There were only four of us so room wasn't an issue at all. Carla was fantastic to deal with and went out of her way to provide anything we needed. Don't let the size of the house versus the price fool you. This is a fantastic Home Away find!!
Lovely House Near Winchester
I was here with a group of women for a long-weekend hiking-and-wineries bachelorette trip, and we had a fantastic time. The house is large, spacious, and grand, furnished with pretty antiques to look at and sturdy furniture to actually use :) It's one of the best vrbo houses I've been to. Everyone got her own bed, and since there are three awesome full bathrooms upstairs, we weren't fighting for shower time! The upstairs did get very warm since the air conditioning didn't seem to be working up there, but admittedly we never called the owner about it, instead just opening the windows to catch the breeze. The kitchen is well-stocked (we made good use of the waffle-iron!), and there's a Costco and a Food Lion just a 15-minute drive away. The hot tub was huge! The wifi wasn't good enough for streaming music, unfortunately, so bring your own playlists. Wineries are a 20-30 minute drive away (I'd recommend Fox Meadows and Arterra in particular). For nice scenery, birds, and walking, check out the Virginia State Arboretum two minutes up rt 50. We also especially enjoyed sitting on the house's wrap-around porch with a nice glass of wine and snacks. And having sheets and towels included is a huge bonus, since we thus didn't have to take room in our luggage for our own. Thank you to the owners for such a wonderful stay!
A perfect place to gather friends and family
This charming colonial was delightful. It is older, but spacious, with updates in many places throughout the home. There were gathering spots and hide-away spots. A large, functional kitchen with everything we needed. A large dining room where we spent most of our time together, although we could have easily used the huge living room area with the large flat screen television. We also enjoyed the deck and the fire pit. There is also a hot tub, although we never had time for it.
Most in our group had traveled quite a distance to come to a local canine competition, so we were delighted to be able to relax together at this lovely home, and cook or own meals, instead of meeting at a hotel or restaurant. We were grateful for the small fenced area where our dog could be safe, and for use of the laundry towards the end of the week.
We had a delightful time, and made many memories, which will be re-lived for years to come. And Blue Hill was the center of it all. If we return to this area of the country, we will return to Blue Hill! Thank you!!
Couldn't be Better
We stay at Blue Hill twice a year and there could not be a better "home away from home"
The setting is breathtaking and the surrounding area is steeped in history and charm. Close enough to Winchester to be able to "run out and pick something up" but far enough away to give you the feeling of stepping back in time. The house itself has the most beautiful floors, an entrance that can best be described as "grand" with an elaborately crafted staircase, high ceilings, with large windows to bring in tons of light. Nothing has been forgotten for those lucky enough to stay at Blue Hill. Even our dogs feel at home with the fenced in yard and room to explore and have fun.
We had the most wonderful stay at Blue Hill. It has an amazing peacefulness about it. The house is spacious and absolutely beautiful . Carla was excellent to work with and Mark - the maintenance man, was right there when he had a slight issue with the hot water. The hot tub was relaxing.
We were here for our son's wedding and hosted the rehearsal dinner at Blue Hill, everyone who attend remarked about what a wonderful place this was.
I truly cannot say enough about this place, our whole family felt so honored to able to stay at Blue Hill. We highly recommend it!
Comfortable, clean and fun.
Great space - indoor and out. We enjoyed the hot tub, outdoor dining on the deck and fire pit on the patio. Dining room and living room are very large with lots of interesting antiques and decorations. There was also a bright and cheery breakfast room. Bedrooms were comfortable. The entire house was very clean. The owner was very responsive - there was a problem with the internet and she had a new router installed within 24 hours. Plenty of parking.
Activity and Interests
Blue Hill is located in beautiful Clarke County an oasis for travelers! Here is a sampling of what you can do and see:
• The Shenandoah River follows lazily along the foot of the Blue Ridge Mountains and provides both great scenic views and an up close experience with nature. The American Bald Eagle, Blue Herons, Deer, Red Tail Hawks and Osprey are just a few of nature’s guardians that rule this special landscape.
• Burwell-Morgan Mill established in 1785
• Long Branch Historic House and Farm
• Blandy Experimental Farm & the State Arboretum of Virginia
• Small Town USA - Berryville
• Veramar Vineyards
• Tour Route 11 Potato Chip
• WILSON'S WILD ANIMAL PARK
• Winchester CiderWorks - hand crafted apple cider
• Family Drive Inn Theater
• The Fire House Gallery
• Watermelon Park for canoeing, tubing, fishing, swimming
• Berryville Main Street Summer Crafts and Farmers Market
• Nalls Farm Market - best apple dumplings!
• Berryville Monastery - try the jams made by the monks
• Dinosaur Land
• Shen-Valley Flea Market
• Carter Hall
• Belle Grove Plantation
• Barns of Rose Hill
• Shenandoah Caverns
• Crystal Caverns
• Endless Caverns
• Great Country Farms
• Blue Ridge Hot Air Ballons
• WWII Fighter Rides
• Front Royal
• Front Royal Canoe Company
• Marker Miller Orchards
• Butler's Farm Market
• Mount Airy Farmer Market
• Bear's Den
• Shenandoah National Park - Front Royal North Entrance only 32 mintues away
• Sky Meadow Park
• Old Town Winchester
• Shenandoah Valley Discovery Museum
• Shenandoah Museum and Gardens
• Eagle Rider Winchester - rent a motorcycle
• The Wagon Wheel Ranch - trail rides
• Royal Horseshoe Farm
• Luray Cavers
• Luray Zoo
• Old Rag Mountain - Shenandoah National Park
• Summit Point Raceway
• The Ashby Inn & Restaurant
• Glen Burnie Estate
• Old Courthouse Civil War Museum
• Shenandoah Valley Discovery Museum
• Museum of the Shenandoah Valley
• Mosby’s Confederacy Tour Half
• Ghosts of Old Town Winchester
• Visit Strasburg, Va - stop by the historic Hotel Strasburg
• Patsy Cline Historic House Winchester
• Locke Modern Country Store Millwood, VA
• Focaccia Italian Grill 15 Crow Street 540-955-9005
• Camino Real Mexican 16 Crow Street 540-955-4730
• The Berryville Grille 9 East Main Street 540-955-4317
• The Cookie Guy 23 Crow Street Berryville, VA 22611
• Fox Pizza 616 E Main Street 540-955-3697 (delivers)
• Red Fox Inn 2 East Washington Street 540-687-6301
• Hidden Horse Tavern 7 West Washington Street 540-687-3828
• Hunter’s Head Tavern 9048 John Mosby Highway 540-592-9020
• Lone Oak Tavern 12696 Lord Fairfax Hwy 540-837-1210
• The Chocolate Bar Restaurant 3111 Valley Avenue 540-535-0010
• Violino Ristorante Italiano 181 North Loudoun St 540-667-8006
• Patsy’s Pastry Pizzas 158 North Loudoun Street 540-545-4150
• Lloyd’s Tropical Island Coffee and Café – Jamaican cuisine & coffee 39 West Picadilly St 540-905-802
• Espresso Bar & Cafe Free WiFi - 165 N Loudoun Street 540-686-7209
Or just relax in the hot tub at Blue Hill and watch monarchs, finches, swallowtails and deer and the occasional wild turkey!
|Rate Period||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event|
My Standard Rate
2 night minimum stay
|Notes: Rates are based on 2 guests; add $30 per night, per additional guest|
Additional information about rental rates
*Cleaning fee may be increased based on number of guests.
Owner's Cancellation Policy
- Available arrival
- Available stay (no arrival)
- Away From It All
- Sports & Activities
- Tourist Attractions
- Air Conditioning ...
- Clothes Dryer ...
- Fireplace ...
- Hair Dryer
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided
- Living Room
- Towels Provided
- Washing Machine ...
- Coffee Maker
- Dishes & Utensils
- Dining Area
- DVD Player
- Satellite / Cable ...
- Video Games
Pool / Spa
- Communal Pool ...
- Hot Tub
- Events Allowed
- Long-term Renters Welcome
- Minimum Age Limit for Renters ...
- children welcome
- pets considered
- wheelchair inaccessible
- Mountain View
- autumn foliage
- botanical garden
- coin laundry
- live theater
- recreation center
- water parks
- winery tours
- bird watching
- eco tourism
- gambling casinos
- horseback riding
- outlet shopping
- scenic drives
- sight seeing
Local Services & Businesses
- fitness center
- massage therapist
- medical services
Sports & Adventure Activities
- equestrian events
- fly fishing
- mountain biking
- mountain climbing
- water tubing
- whitewater rafting
- 3984 sq. ft.
- Bathroom 1
- Bathroom 2
- Bathroom 3
- Half Bathroom
- 5 Bedrooms, Sleeps 14
- Bedroom 1
- Bedroom 2
- Bedroom 3
- Bedroom 4
- Bedroom 5
- Deck / Patio
- Lawn / Garden
- Outdoor Grill
- Guests provide their own meals
Learn more about this vacation rental at the owner's website
- Hot tub, Weber charcoal grill, Gas grill, Fire pit, Pet Friendly, WiFi, Kitchen appliances - stove is electric, toaster oven, waffle maker, iron and board, coffee maker with grinder, microwave, pots and pans, flatware, plates, mugs, glasses, towels and bed linens provided, paper products, garden, terrace, cooler, activities guide, central heating, Radiator Heat, local activities guide, local maps, events allowed, Catering (please inquire for details)