House: 3 Bedrooms, 2 Baths, Sleeps 6
About Robert Dodd
I'm a native of Sarasota, Florida, and a graduate of University of South Florida in Tampa. My grandfather built a cottage in this same neighborhood back in 1953, to which my mother first brought me when I was 1 1/2 years old. My passion for this neighborhood and region is based upon a lifetime of exposure and good memories.
Robert Dodd purchased this House in 2006
Why Robert Dodd chose Franklin
Ellijay Cottage is a comfortable, modern, newly remodeled and upgraded home. It has a unique charm, great mountain view, and sense of privacy and seclusion. It is a great place for couples or larger families to enjoy solitude, or the beauties of nature only a few miles down the road.
What makes this House unique
As an A-Frame home, Ellijay Cottage has a unique retro feel. Its glass front has the effect of inviting the outdoors into the structure. You may see sunrise and moonrise from the living room, and all the seasonal changes without leaving the armchair. The home is paneled with spruce and oak, giving a woodsy, country feel. From the deck in springtime, you'll enjoy a well tended garden with fruit trees, rhododendrons, dogwood and mountain laurel. You may enjoy eating your meals inside, or on the picnic table on the side deck. Children enjoy the upstairs loft with a commanding view of downstairs and through the windows into the mountains in the distance.
100% refund if canceled at least 30 days before arrival date. 50% refund if canceled at least 14 days before arrival date.
Very Nice House at Excellent Location
The house is well arranged and clean. Robert was very nice and provided lots of information about activities in the areas. Great place to go with the family.
Very nice area and comfortable place to stay.
The area was beautiful with a creek running along, down across the road from the cabin. The beds were comfortable and the living spaces were very inviting and perfect for relaxing in the evening. The spiral stair steps were a little tricky, but there was an alternative set of steps outside to take us downstairs, which was a help. When we needed some help with a can opener, Bob was over to help us in a few minutes. He seemed very interested in making sure we had what we needed to enjoy ourselves. He gave us a lot of information about the hiking and rivers around the area, which helped us plan our stay. It was an enjoyable way for us to get acquainted with the area while being very comfortable in the cabin.
More value than you pay for!
What a wonderful experience staying at Mr. Dodd's place. So much room and many amenities in this rental. Having three levels gives plenty of space for the entire family. Our family of four with one teenage son over 6 feet couldn't sleep in the loft... but no problem the mid-level bedroom had plenty of room for him and Mom & Dad slept the bottom level. Fully stocked kitchen meets any culinary challenge. Very peaceful place with no traffic noises. Convenient to Franklin, Highlands and the surrounding area. So much to see on Hwy 64! Mr. Dodd was very valuable in giving you information on where to go and what to do.
Far better than a hotel
The cabin itself was great. I guess I was hoping it would be a bit more secluded, but in all, it was fine. The perpetual sound of the river was nice. Bob does a great job getting you settled and provides a good deal of info about the area. We cooked several dinners at the cabin and were not in any way left wanting. I know that I will be looking Bob up if I make another trip to Franklin.
It was a delightful aframe near a gurgley stream.
The air was cool and crisp. The mountains were stark with no leaves and the waterfalls were stupendous. We blew it by not cleaning up after the teens in the party but all and all it was great.
This is our second stay with Bob and we really enjoyed it, as before. Bob goes out of his way to make sure his guests are comfortable. When we couldn't get the TV to work properly, he spent extra time making sure that he could get it to work for us while we were there. He will help with every detail that he possibly can. We certainly hope to stay at Ellijay again later this year!
* Access to the Appalachian Trail and Bartram Trail is available in Macon County.
* Camping, hiking and fishing are available in many Nantahala National Forest areas nearby. Cliffside Lake facility is nearby in Highlands, and Standing Indian Campground, on the west side of Franklin.
* Gem Mining is available within 2 miles of the house, and at numerous other locations within the county. Franklin is famous for its natural rubies and sapphires.
* Franklin has two outstanding Mineral and Gemstone Museums.
* Celebrate Scottish Heritage at the Scottish Tartans Museum in Franklin.
* Enjoy World-Class dining and shopping in Franklin and Highlands. To view the selection check Urbanspoon online.
* Attend the Mountain Heritage Museum at Western Carolina University, along with seasonal events, music and theater on campus in Cullowhee.
* Golfing is available in Highlands and Franklin
* Cinema and Theatrical Performances are available both in Franklin and Highlands.
* You are within a short range drive to access Smoky Mountains National Park, Cherokee - Qualla Reservation, and Harrah's Casino, Gatlinburg on the north side of Smoky Mountains N. P., and Dollywood in Sevierville, TN.