Meeting accurate expectations is very important to us, so please read through our entire listing description prior to booking - thank you!
Get away from it all at this oceanfront private room with stunning views of the Pacific Ocean and Sierra Madre Mountains as hawks, pelicans, frigate birds soar thermal updrafts. Its peaceful 1.5 acres are a private, gated retreat for birders, writers, lovers and escape seekers. Spacious and lovely multi-story home offers air conditioning, purified water, swimming pool and plenty of outdoor furnished living areas. The small village of Aticama offers the easy-going charm of bygone Mexico. We are delighted to share our home! While we respect guests’ privacy, we are pleased to answer questions and offer guidance. We can also arrange for and make recommendations for activities, excursions, restaurants, shopping, as well as schedule in-house spa services e.g. massages, mani-pedicures, acupuncture. Our goal is to ensure a comfortable and memorable stay.
The guest bedroom accommodates 2-3* people (room rate includes 2 guests. An extra guest fee of $20 per person per night applies for a third guest), with extraordinary ocean, mountain, or garden views from every window, and excellent natural ventilation (or air conditioning, if preferred). Accommodations include a queen-sized bed, a matrimonial/full-size bed with 100% cotton sheets and towels, a private balcony with a mountain view, and a covered terrace with expansive views overlooking the ocean. Additionally, outdoor living areas with seating are available on all 3 floors. A highlight of tropically warm sunny days are cool evenings (Dec–April) with the option of a crackling bonfire beneath the moon and stars. The soothing sound of the surf below our cliffside setting is ever present and fireflies light the night.
The kitchen (vegetarian cooking only), living and dining rooms on the main floor are shared with owner.
Guests' full size bathroom includes a shower, bathtub and small balcony with ocean, garden and mountain views. An extra full bathroom (shared with owner) is located off the main floor. Ceiling fans throughout the house and lots of windows catch the fresh ocean and cool mountain breezes.
Guests have access to three floors of the house, swimming pool, two outdoor showers, 1.5 acre grounds—the garden and seasonal organic mango orchard. Guests may enjoy seasonal fruit from our organic mango orchard, other tropical fruit such as pineapples, papayas, limes, starfruit, guavas, coconuts and Suriname cherries are grown on site, as well as a few fresh herbs for cooking—lemongrass, basil, rosemary, thyme, hoja santa, Mexican oregano and nutrition-packed chaya leaf (spinach-like). Guests have shared use of the owner's kitchen (strictly vegetarian cooking only), living and dining areas.
Guest parking in the driveway is convenient and secure within the fenced and gated property.
OTHER THINGS TO NOTE:
• Two friendly dogs and a shy retiring cat live on the property.
• Property is not suitable for small children, as the pool is not enclosed and there is a steep, 100 ft./30 mt. dropoff along cliff edge.
• This multi-story home has several flights of stairs and uneven terrain.
• Situated in the tropics, this is an ideal location for birders and naturalists. Keep in mind the colorful creatures, include myriad insects, geckos, spiders, cockroaches and on rare occasions scorpions. While we make every effort to keep these out of the house, there may be occasional sightings. Maintain screen doors closed to keep insects out.
• WiFi is generally good, but can be intermittent. Storms may bring occasional temporary power outages.
• Aticama is a small welcoming community (pop. 1,400). Like much of rural Mexico, one can expect unpaved streets and undeveloped infrastructure, a slower pace, infrequent WiFi when out and about, and some litter. Along with the constant sound of the sea, there are frequent - including early morning - sounds of roosters and dogs, occasional festivals, fireworks and town announcements. Earplugs can be helpful! The wealth in spirit of the people and beauty of nature more than make up for perceived inconveniences, yet it is good to arrive with accurate expectations.
• Knowing some Spanish is helpful, as most locals do not speak English.
• For birding excursions on your own, we suggest mid- to high-clearance vehicle for possible rugged road conditions. Alternatively, hiring a professional English and/or Spanish speaking local bird guides is an option. Boating, fishing and whale watching charters, turtle hatchery excursions, surfing lessons are also available. Please inquire.